Save files are corrupted

+
Sounds like you are all well on your way to fixing their game for them. I hope they thank you. :sad:
Hold your horses amigo. This is just viewer for now. Even if we could maniupulate nodes there, the problem is - how to know which data to discard to lower save size? Manually search for those 200 pistols you crafted and delete those?
And for people without crafting - what to discard?

Hold your horses amigo. This is just viewer for now. Even if we could maniupulate nodes there, the problem is - how to know which data to discard to lower save size? Manually search for those 200 pistols you crafted and delete those?
And for people without crafting - what to discard?

Of course, I just think it's neat how many people are forming together to try and figure it out as consumers. Plus a bit of a joke that you may all figure it out before the devs do.

Seems like this was fixed by some super easy .INI tweaks..
mindblowing why the company just doesnt give a sh**

This was tested 15 - 20 pages back, and has been proven to not work. Not only does changing the ini settings not work, but, those values are baked into the executable and changing them does nothing. This mod doesn't work.

Or before the game was released, but that might be asking for too much. I'm sure they will be hard at work on it after the holidays.

I'm sure they're working on it right now. An issue like this can't be left unattended. People are mistaking little communication for inattention and that's just not the case. Even if the devs are on holiday, I have a feeling SOMEONE is working on this.

late to the party... but also running into the problem of not being able to play the game at all right now due to a too large save file...

138 hours of playing the game... about 20 hours of that spend crafting and deconstructing to get money through the tech tree (no duping or exploits)... and now I can't play anymore.... Please fix this asap.

Love the game otherwise, even with all the bugs I have encountered... but this... bug that literally makes a game unplayable by playing it too much... fucking sucks

According to what is seen in this video items that stack like cans & components don't affect the size.
Items that remain separate however do.
I can understand weapons & clothing items being separate if they have different stats but why are things like mods all kept separate? Why dont they stack within there rarity classifications after all they are all the same within their classes common, rare etc.

Anyhoos this vid might be worth a watch for some?

Hey guys,

I found a fix, a temporary fix at that, till CDPR come up with their own solution, we just need to edit the save.dat file, and reduce the size manually, it is saving the file correctly, that is not the issue. just delete everything you find in itemdropstoremanager which is located in the nodetree of the save file.

Use the savegame editor link is given below.

Furthermore, I have also made a corrupted savegame work @ilpet uploaded a save file which I edited and it started to work, he can verify it for you guys as well.

you can also try it I will attach both the save files ( the original is named manualsave 99 and after the edit it was named manual save 26)
I hope this helps.

let me know if a video is required for the process i will upload in on youtube and share the link with you guys.

Attachments

• ManualSave-26.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 73
  • ManualSave-99 .zip
    5 MB · Views: 107
Can you please tell us how we delete something?
Hey guys,

I found a fix, a temporary fix at that, till CDPR come up with their own solution, we just need to edit the save.dat file, and reduce the size manually, it is saving the file correctly, that is not the issue. just delete everything you find in itemdropstoremanager which is located in the nodetree of the save file.

Furthermore, I have also made a corrupted savegame work @ilpet uploaded a save file which I edited and it started to work, he can verify it for you guys as well.

you can also try it I will attach both the save files ( the original is named manualsave 99 and after the edit it was named manual save 26)
I hope this helps.

let me know if a video is required for the process i will upload in on youtube and share the link with you guys.
Can you please tell us how we can delete a file there? i found the "itemdropstoremanager " but i dont see a option to delete something :(

Hi, sorry for my bad writing but instead of trying to figure out whats causing the problem with save file been corrupted why not just increase that 8MB save limit to like at least 2GB so everyone can enjoy the game with no fear of losing there progress? cause if the game continues like this ain't nobody gonna want to play or even buy it in fact i believe they already trying to get a refund. i got over 140 hours play and my save is sitting at 6MB if my file gets corrupted am done with this game, am not gonna start over trying to unlock everything again and am sure there is players out there with the same opinion as me, so why keep losing more players by the day instead of gaining?
The engine could be hard coded to this size limit. Which is why they don't do this. Another thing is you're ignoring the bug. Yes, it's a band aid to a problem. But might not be a good idea. It's simliar to what's going on a Fukushima's Nuclear Reactor. The reactor is still in bad shape. So radioactive water is piling up around the site. What do you do? Dump the bad water into the sea. Is it low enough to be an acceptable risk. Or keep piling water up in various places, till you can get the reactor repaired and sealed. The ocean is the game. The save is the water. We are the power plant.

Hey guys,

I hope this helps.

Before we can verify this as a potential fix, more testing is going to need to be done. What I recommend you do is the following.

Record attempting to load the save, to confirm that the save is corrupt
Record verifying the file size of 8192KB
Record verifying that the save file you're working with is missing the ENOD (End of File marker) so we can 100% confirm it is a corrupted save. This will need to be done with a hex editor I believe.
Record the steps taken in the save game editor that you've highlighted, illustrating what to look for and what to delete.
When you save this modified save file, reconfirm the save file size to see if it's been reduced, or it remains the same. Also crack the save file open to see if ENOD has been reapplied to the file, or if it's still missing that marker.
Record loading this save file and the result, whether it be to game load completion, or to an infinite black screen (I would allow for at least two minutes before calling it quits on the black screen)

Try doing this ALL in one take.

If we can get all of this on video, and verify that this is, indeed, some sort of working fix, we can possibly teste it with other saves than our sample save and begin to recommend this as a possible work around until the official fix comes.

I don't want you to take this as me being dismissive. I want to encourage cautious optimism with potential fixes so people don't get their hopes up and are enraged further.

Hey guys,

I hope this helps.

You are amazing! I haven't hit the limit yet, but I am going to count on this when I do...

Before we can verify this as a potential fix, more testing is going to need to be done. What I recommend you do is the following.

Record attempting to load the save, to confirm that the save is corrupt
Record verifying the file size of 8192KB
Record verifying that the save file you're working with is missing the ENOD (End of File marker) so we can 100% confirm it is a corrupted save. This will need to be done with a hex editor I believe.
Record the steps taken in the save game editor that you've highlighted, illustrating what to look for and what to delete.
When you save this modified save file, reconfirm the save file size to see if it's been reduced, or it remains the same. Also crack the save file open to see if ENOD has been reapplied to the file, or if it's still missing that marker.
Record loading this save file and the result, whether it be to game load completion, or to an infinite black screen (I would allow for at least two minutes before calling it quits on the black screen)

Try doing this ALL in one take.

If we can get all of this on video, and verify that this is, indeed, some sort of working fix, we can possibly teste it with other saves than our sample save and begin to recommend this as a possible work around until the official fix comes.

I don't want you to take this as me being dismissive. I want to encourage cautious optimism with potential fixes so people don't get their hopes up and are enraged further.
No disrespect, but you are asking A LOT from this person... While I don't disagree this is helpful information, is there something stopping you from doing everything you are requesting here?

You are amazing! I haven't hit the limit yet, but I am going to count on this when I do...

No disrespect, but you are asking A LOT from this person... While I don't disagree this is helpful information, is there something stopping you from doing everything you are requesting here?

Asking someone to test and confirm the fix they have provided isn't asking a lot. The steps are extensive but necessary to confirm that this is indeed a fix. We don't know what the itemdropstoremanager keeps track of, or what effect it has on the save file. We only have one person reporting one case of being able to fix a corrupted save. Fixing one file then pushing it to the community as a fix can be dangerous, especially because many people don't have the tools or knowledge of the files and tools to do this without possibly causing irreparable harm to their system.

The game no longer being installed for starters stops me from confirming a repaired save file. I can do everything else up to that point, but it doesn't mean anything if I can't verify it myself.

All I am asking for is someone to provide concrete verification of the fix that they themselves provided. I'm not sitting here telling them that they're full of crap and to go post somewhere else.

Furthermore, say the fix doesn't work, but, you yourself said you would count on this when you hit the limit, IF you hit the limit, so you wait, then you hit the limit and try the fix and it doesn't work, but, not only does it not work, but it's later found to cause some sort of harm to the save. Maybe not something that will prevent the game from being loaded, but, something that will cause something in the game to bork your save in other ways.

You will have then followed unverified steps to fix your save, ultimately causing more harm than you did good.

The save file editor was released TODAY. This is a NEW tool that is being brought to our attention. Asking someone who has the tool, and the game, installed NOW to verify the fix they presented is not too much to ask.

99 there is unfortunately not one of the 8 MiB truncated type of saves but a save of 7.88 MiB which may have had a different type of problem.
Post automatically merged:

If you decide to try out @Sarosh_Shakeel's advice, please be aware that depending on how the game interprets the contents of that node that you may be setting yourself up for actual future corruption and unexpected game behaviour.

Make backups, expect the worst (total data loss), be prepared that it my cause problems down the line.

Last edited:
Well, PixelRick yesterday checked the corrupted save and his tool showed that it's corrupted in items node so I don't believe you can restore corrupted save files.
Could you frankenstine the save file. The one area that corrupts. Copy the item list from a working save. And put it in the bad file. Allowing the save to keep story progression. But reverting inventory, guns etc.

Top Bottom