Shieldwall Hotfix Waiting Room.

+
For God's sake... this is funny af ! :coolstory:

View attachment 11059934

If you can spell "Shield Wall" then you can easily spell "abuse" which in most cases can mean exactly the very same thing ! :coolstory:
...but noooo.. !
"Nothing to see here sir, just move along" :howdy:

- I don't believe that we will get a hotfix to this NR SW shenanigans, the most probable scenario is them nerfing it by a tiny bit at the end of the season.

- Every month we have the very same story repeating it self, something else we'll be boosted or changed and there will be people in the forum's complaining about it, rinse and repeat.

Just because it happens every month doesn’t mean it shouldn’t happen. Every time anything is added to Gwent the meta becomes unbalanced. Call it a failure of testing, call it a deliberate design choice by CDPR, call it whatever you want. The fact is it warriors before Shield wall and before that it was Hidden cache, and before that it was etc...

[ . . . ]

Just because something is consistent does not make it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pardon me, I don't get your point, i didn't say it's wrong to complain.
Your example actually proves my case and ofc I agree with it.

From the context it was not clear if you thought this was a problem or not. You are correct and we agree it will be rinse and repeat. At worst I reinforced your point. At best I correct it if you meant that it was the player bases fault for not being happy.

To be honest, I don´t consider Shieldwall to be as strong.

My NR shieldwall deck (many shielded units + King Roegner + Viraxas + War Elefant + both duellers, + Kerack frigates + Amphious Assault) is not performing well (Rank 1). In fact, my Mobilization deck (order + Cintrian Royal Guard swarm) suceeds even more.

Team Leviathian suggest a deck without King Roegner (4, 5 stars, 2nd best in this meta )(https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/21314809dc2b539929dbebce89303812). This one I consider to be inferior to my deck. This deck might have better boost opportunities for the duellers. Nevertheless, I do not face problems for boosting my duellers high enough.
When I face shieldwall I also usually win.

I ask myself why this is the case?
1) Success of the deck heavily depends on whether duellers find valuable targets, bad against swarms
2) Furthermore King Roegner needs to be played as last card and survive (no removal from opponent).
3) The total value of the leader without any synergies is not high (Basically it´s 14 + 6 boost + 3 shield =23). How to value the synergies? If King Roegner succeeds the value of each shield can be accounted to be 3. So total value would be 29. If a dueller is shielded an similiar value might be appropriate.
4) One should not forget that those duellers are also target of removal. So a double-play or first play of Seltkirk can be countered.

=> I am interested in which leader succeeds most in the season of the dryad. Therefore, we have to wait for the report. My bet would be 1) Rage of the Sea 2) Nature´s Gift 3) Mobilization 4) Shieldwall

ya1

Forum regular
At this point I think ST Sybiosis GIft and SK Rain are more broken than Shieldwall.

At this point I think ST Sybiosis GIft and SK Rain are more broken than Shieldwall.

On the casual level I can say that Nature’s gift and SW are both crazy broken. I would put it around equal with maybe a slight advantage to SW, but I cannot speak to ranked.

Shield Wall isn't OP. SK is still a better faction overall.

At least I had more consistency with SK. I lost many games by missing important golds playing NR.

i also thinking SK its still better.

In pro rank i win more games with SK than with SW.

Also symbiosis is too crazy too.

I think we have good decks by now. SW, SK warriors (and also priest and etc) SC symbiosis and shirru, NG double ball and assimilate (ok this second ist so good), SY with hiden cache and Igmatoins (cant remember the name of the leader), and MO with OH and the Keltullis deck with Carapse.

Ok, of course the 2, or 3 first are better than the rest, but i already lose to MO carapse using Symbiose and almost lose using SK warriors.

I think Symbiosis is strong. There is a non-devotion list (with Heatwave and Rockslide) which packs plenty of removal. Any enginge deck other than SW will crumble against it I think. But I built a devotion Symbiosis deck (so obviously not as much removal as the other list), which was kind of good, but not OP. It loses to SK and NR easily and consistently. It can put up a good fight with SY and MO and NG. But optimised non-devotion list can be scary to face I agree.

I went against suck deck and crushed it with
Neutral MO FoN Kiki Queen ! :cool:

I think Symbiosis is strong. There is a non-devotion list (with Heatwave and Rockslide) which packs plenty of removal. Any enginge deck other than SW will crumble against it I think. But I built a devotion Symbiosis deck (so obviously not as much removal as the other list), which was kind of good, but not OP. It loses to SK and NR easily and consistently. It can put up a good fight with SY and MO and NG. But optimised non-devotion list can be scary to face I agree.

I actually prefer the devotion variant. Feels less cheesy than the ubiquitous Oneiro+Heatwave. And rockslide has been an irritating card lately. I wouldn't say I consistently lose to SK and NR, but it's definitely harder to put streaks together with it as you get closer to 2500.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

Guest 4368268

To be honest, I don´t consider Shieldwall to be as strong.

My NR shieldwall deck (many shielded units + King Roegner + Viraxas + War Elefant + both duellers, + Kerack frigates + Amphious Assault) is not performing well (Rank 1). In fact, my Mobilization deck (order + Cintrian Royal Guard swarm) suceeds even more.

=> I am interested in which leader succeeds most in the season of the dryad. Therefore, we have to wait for the report. My bet would be 1) Rage of the Sea 2) Nature´s Gift 3) Mobilization 4) Shieldwall
I can't speak for your quality as a player/how well you are piloting NR, but I can say that the meta has developed into a state where when people are using tech cards to deal with the strongest opposition that NR is what they'll be targeting. It's why you suddenly saw a card like Hen Gaedth sword pop up out of nowhere. This will in turn make the winrate of NR worse, but that doesn't mean the deck isn't OP or not super unhealthy for the game.

The duel interaction alone is one of the more insane things Homecoming has seen and is also the primary thing that makes the deck a problem in my opinion. A shield on Anna Strenger is strong but fair game but on Seltkirk/Anseis it's insanely oppressive. Sure, some match-ups provide better targets than others, but as far as facing swarm goes the only swarm deck on ladder I've seen is the fireswarm one and even they go tall through Fallen Knights/Jacques providing good targets.

The point swing and thus the reach these duels provide singlehandedly ruin the balance of the game as it simultaneously takes away one of NR's important weak spots, the fact it's a slow faction.

I can't speak for your quality as a player/how well you are piloting NR, but I can say that the meta has developed into a state where when people are using tech cards to deal with the strongest opposition that NR is what they'll be targeting. It's why you suddenly saw a card like Hen Gaedth sword pop up out of nowhere. This will in turn make the winrate of NR worse, but that doesn't mean the deck isn't OP or not super unhealthy for the game.

The duel interaction alone is one of the more insane things Homecoming has seen and is also the primary thing that makes the deck a problem in my opinion. A shield on Anna Strenger is strong but fair game but on Seltkirk/Anseis it's insanely oppressive. Sure, some match-ups provide better targets than others, but as far as facing swarm goes the only swarm deck on ladder I've seen is the fireswarm one and even they go tall through Fallen Knights/Jacques providing good targets.

The point swing and thus the reach these duels provide singlehandedly ruin the balance of the game as it simultaneously takes away one of NR's important weak spots, the fact it's a slow faction.

When I saw the introduction video, I was thinking shieldwall that will be massively strong and I heavily played around with shieldwall. Nevertheless, my success rate was low. Actually, I am most successful with Mobilization. Playing other fractions, I am usually more afraid when I have face SK warriors and I have an overaverage win rate against shieldwall.

Of course, Tesham mutna sword is a nice tech against shieldwall but what can you expect? You have maybe a shielded dueller with value of 10 max and kill him? But, I rarely face those shieldwall decks.

Nevertheless, I understand your point that it can be frustrating: First your opponent plays Anseis on Melee. Then he shields him and kills a strong card of you. Next turn there will be the 2nd strike with Viraxas. Best counter is here definetly protecting your big cards with defenders or playing them lately. Maybe on idea would giving Anseis Veil (but than it can not be blocked anymore).
But with Anseis there are many drawbacks:
- He can not be tutored by Amphious Assault. So probably that you do not even face him.
- NR shieldwall performs arguably bad against swarm deck which become more and more popular
The other dueller Seltkirk can be tutored via Amphious Assault but is not sure whether he survives because he has no Zeal

Regarding Viraxas:
For me Viraxas was the most difficult to play evolving card. With shieldwall it gets more probable that he has valuable targets protected by shield:
Best choices are:
- War Elephant (+8 p if crewed)
- Both duellers (Potential Removal)
Ok alternatives are:
- Ildiko (+5)
- Vincent Meis if he finds a target
- Kerack Marine (+4)
=> Actually Shieldwall made Viraxas much stronger. Thus, I don´t understand why he is still the only evolving card costing only 11.

However, I am still curious on the report on season of the dryad and can here only communicate my own experience which is win rate <50 % and not TOP play rate.

And still we wait for this garbage to be fixed, Shieldwall + Duels causing insane and immoral point swings, 5 provision card that keeps boosting itself forever + Veil + move utility!!! WTF!>?? Do the devs have a NR fetish? :eek:
NR Kerrack Frigate has 4 points + 1 armor for 6 prov, compare that to for example Hawker Smuggler from ST who is 4 points + MELLE LOCKED and does + 1 point per turn while the Frigate does + 2 points per turn (sure it's "crew" conditioned but this condition is piss-easy to meet so it might as well not exist lol).

And still we wait for this garbage to be fixed, Shieldwall + Duels causing insane and immoral point swings, 5 provision card that keeps boosting itself forever + Veil + move utility!!! WTF!>?? Do the devs have a NR fetish? :eek:
NR Kerrack Frigate has 4 points + 1 armor for 6 prov, compare that to for example Hawker Smuggler from ST who is 4 points + MELLE LOCKED and does + 1 point per turn while the Frigate does + 2 points per turn (sure it's "crew" conditioned but this condition is piss-easy to meet so it might as well not exist lol).

I whole heartily agree, NR is disgusting as it is atm... the 3 shielded duel removals are just that... disgusting.
You can be winning by 30 to 40 points and still lose...lose big..! Even using Gerald: Yrden is not enough some times...YRDEN ! -which is considered by a lot of people a "cheat" card.

I'm done playing if this is not properly addressed at the end of the month.
I'm finishing the journey and if they pull of the same thing again (lvl175) with the next journey and don't nerf this disgusting NR playstyle i'm out.

Shieldwall should not be nerfed when it was - it should be changed to 4 charges "give shield" without any boosts.
If the Shield is added at the end of the turn that works, in that case Duel cards cannot be abused and with the additional charge Shield decks are put more in the focus, although I wonder if it is worth it for actual Shield decks.
Alternatively you could give it provisions and/or a charge, without removing the boost and prevent it from targeting units that do not originally come with a Shield.

Viraxas to 13p - 5 power
Shieldwall leader ability - Boost by 1 and give shield, 2 charges.

-
Harald should be 13p too imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom