Short But Brilliant Interview of CDPR with Eurogamer

+
Short But Brilliant Interview of CDPR with Eurogamer

CD Projekt Red responds to concerns about The Witcher 3 on Xbox One and addresses the issue brilliantly . Remains loyal to their loyal customers and core audience .

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-staunchly-anti-drm-witcher-3-dev-cd-projekt-responds-to-xbox-one-policy-concerns

How so? They’re basically saying “Don’t like DRM? Don’t buy it for the Xbox One then”. How is that classy or very well put? Personally, I don’t care as long as we have a DRM-free option (in this case, the PC version).

And it's correct. The console producers set the gaming rules on their devices, not the games producers.

Well, it’s the developers choice to not release their games on DRM-ridden platforms though. Not that I’m saying that they necessarily should have done so in this case but if developers stopped releasing their games on said platforms we would see the end of DRM in a matter of days. Purists would probably argue that by supplying them with games for their platform those developers are (directly or indirectly) supporting DRM and ensuring its continued existence.

Demut said:
How so? They’re basically saying “Don’t like DRM? Don’t buy it for the Xbox One then”. How is that classy or very well put? Personally, I don’t care as long as we have a DRM-free option (in this case, the PC version).
You're so used to CDProjekt you can't see how it's unusual to hear...
"most gamer friendly solution",
"we strongly believe in the freedom of choice and voting with your wallet."
"there is a platform where we can decide what we think works best for the gamers, and that's the PC",
"the platform where we set the rules for our games",
"Ultimately, it's the gamers who will call the shots."
...from a game developer/publisher.

Hrm, I guess ... now that you mention it. I probably didn’t notice that because whenever other publishers/developers open their mouth I stop paying attention either because of boredom or because of blinding rage :D

The only devs in the world who say, "The gamers call the shots."
All other arguments invalid.

I just finished posting this everywhere on the interwebz, now I say here lol

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
The only devs in the world who say, "The gamers call the shots."
All other arguments invalid.

I just finished posting this everywhere on the interwebz, now I say here lol

Your avatar is so fitting to your comment.

CDPR has a very rational approach, without any trace of anti-DRM activism. Three platforms, pick the one you are most comfortable with. CDPR very reasonably gives a DRM-free PC version, knowing full well that no DRM would prevent pirating on PC anyway, and their admitting of this simple fact gives them good publicity. And CDPR are right about another thing - it is the gamers who vote with their wallets for or against any policy, and it is not a job of any developer (businessperson) to tackle any controversial issue, or to take a stand. They are in this for the money, and they will need all sales they can get. They are skipping xbox 360 and ps3, and they sure pray every day both ps4 and X1 will have good sales. Otherwise there won't be enough potential customers when they publish TW3.

Been gaming all my life on PC and PC has always been next-gen. I'm already gaming beyond HD. Can't wait for 4K honestly. So i'll be getting Witcher 3 on GoG similarly as Witcher2/1 in GoG as well.

Alas alot of awesome games are released on consoles. Guess i may have to get a PS4 myself just for the exclusives. Damn.

Top Bottom