So... there will be crunch...

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha my bad, the one about the delay in the news section (post #318). Someone posted some rumors that were commented on and how the delay had a lot to do with the launch Xbox One (which would also mean the PS4 and probably Xbox One S) being outdated and requiring downgrades or something.

Obviously just rumors, so take with a truckload of salt.
Oh, right, I'd heard of that. Thanks.

If rumors of the other thread are true, then I honestly see no reason to have crunch at the moment at least. Maybe to get some presentations ready for events like E3, but development itself should remain standard and push the date back further into something like February 2021 instead.

Gives more time for development, eases stress on employees and lets the new consoles role out for a release on them as well. Win-win for employees, consumers and management. If it's true they're struggling with current gen, then releasing on the outdated technology might be more negative PR than anything.

Watch how when it gets to June-July and the game gets delayed again to 2021... I honestly wouldn't be surprised at that point.

Basically, the real question is: If at one point one version of the game is ready (which maybe have, or at least will surely happens at one point because it would be a real strange coincidence that all version are finished at the exact same time), will it have to be delayed because other version aren't?
What's would be the point?

EDIT: I don't think that message is in the good place...:confused:

Last edited:
That kind of reasoning is the reason why in some companies people are forced to put diapers to avoid wasting time going to the restroom.

Yeah, and if 2 sides of the contract - the employee and the employer - agree to it, then what right do you (or the state), a third party, have to interfere in that voluntary exchange?

Yeah, and if 2 sides of the contract - the employee and the employer - agree to it, then what right do you (or the state), a third party, have to interfere in that voluntary exchange?

For the exact same reason that lead many country to forbid things like organ selling: because the two parts doesn't have the same weight when negotiating.
Besides it actually already have been discussed in this message:

I actually know one ex-mercenary whose job was the make people sign contracts. Sure, people could still refuse to sign those contracts but then they would be dead or members or their family would be.
And there is a lots of figurative "gun against the head" situations.

As I said, that's the reason why there is many laws around the world which discuss the contract = volontary exchange thingy, that's what is called leonine clauses: because one part takes the Lion's Share.

What happens around the real TV "Parovi" is a good example of what happens in a world where people can write whatever they wants in contracts.

Do you mean Serbian reality show ??????

Yep, their contract is full of severe abuses. Like for example they can theoretically keep you indefinitely locked inside their reality show.

Besides about contracts, there is a reason why jurists and lawyers exists and that they are most of the time the ones writing contracts.

Lol how did you found out about that show ?????? i mean it is crap show, no one with common sense or brain watch it :D most people think is crap and i am from serbia :D

It should be noted that the Cyberpunk developers are *not* in crunch.

They have crunched, but since their release keeps getting pushed back they are now in a state known in the industry as a Death March.
Oof. If this exaggeration is minor or not an exaggeration at all then I don't see how a mere 8th gen console could bring so much trouble anymore. Not when The Witcher 3 has such an excellent memory manager (3,5gb all ultra with HD reworked 10.0 at 1440p!)...

Attachments

• EOeix8yXkAEl0fl.png
    EOeix8yXkAEl0fl.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
It should be noted that the Cyberpunk developers are *not* in crunch.

They have crunched, but since their release keeps getting pushed back they are now in a state known in the industry as a Death March.
Oof. If this exaggeration is minor or not an exaggeration at all then I don't see how a mere 8th gen console could bring so much trouble anymore. Not when The Witcher 3 has such an excellent memory manager (3,5gb all ultra with HD reworked 10.0 at 1440p!)...

I agree that this is pretty bad if it's not an exaggeration.

With that said, other actual employees of CD Projekt Red have allegedly told people like MadQueen that the crunch isn't as bad as it was in the Witcher 3.

So, I guess it's up to who you believe and how you interpret things.

With that said, other actual employees of CD Projekt Red have allegedly told people like MadQueen that the crunch isn't as bad as it was in the Witcher 3.
First, for some teams or responsible individuals, there might not be that many tasks that needs to be taken care of. I guess, some programmers are in worse position.
Second, that's probably because CDPR offloaded some of the heavy work to three other contractors: https://polskigamedev.pl/cyberpunk-...ra-pracuja-qloc-crunching-koalas-i-testronic/

First, for some teams or responsible individuals, there might not be that many tasks that needs to be taken care of. I guess, some programmers are in worse position.
Second, that's probably because CDPR offloaded some of the heavy work to three other contractors: https://polskigamedev.pl/cyberpunk-...ra-pracuja-qloc-crunching-koalas-i-testronic/
Very good point. Should have thought of that myself. In fact, I think the employee in question openly admitted that his team in particular isn't getting hit as hard.

Artists, for example, probably won't have it as tough right now as QA or engine programmers.

Lol how did you found out about that show ?????? i mean it is crap show, no one with common sense or brain watch it :D most people think is crap and i am from serbia :D

It's because I'm french and a french guy got himself locked up there, tried to get out but didn't get allowed to, then escaped and told his story, then we got footages of what happened in there.

Actually that show did hurt Serbia reputation in France, as to french people it's hard to believe a country where something like that show is legal can be considered civilized. No offends meant, but that show really makes Serbia looks bad.

Guest 3847602

Jbt, kad mrtav trezan naleteh na priču o Parovima na zvaničnom CP2077 forumu...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Alal vera, Mariću!

Actually that show did hurt Serbia reputation in France, as to french people it's hard to believe a country where something like that show is legal can be considered civilized. No offends meant, but that show really makes Serbia looks bad.

It's hurting Serbia's reputation in Serbia as well, no offense taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
No worry man like, like i say that is one big crap show, except morons and idiots that exist all over the world, no one in right mind or common sense watch it.

I don't see how a mere 8th gen console could bring so much trouble anymore. Not when The Witcher 3 has such an excellent memory manager (3,5gb all ultra with HD reworked 10.0 at 1440p!)...

Witcher 3 was much flatter in comparison to 2077. Thus the amount and style of LoD culling is more complex and more resource intensive.

With Witcher 3 you could get away with just horizontal culling, because the amount of vertexes was fairly limited on the horizontal axis.

Witcher 3 also could have much simpler - and thus cheaper on the CPU - 2D pathing, in comparison to the 3D pathing needs of 2077.

It's the CPU/APU that is the bottleneck here.

Artists, for example, probably won't have it as tough right now as QA or engine programmers.

Well, considering that artists are likely trying to make alternate models and textures, that can have the game running acceptably on xbone s.

And that they have 8 months to do so...

That said, I woul like to remind everyone that the EU working time directive limits the amount of workhours in a week to a average of 48 hours over a reference period (4, 6 or 12 months). And a absolute maximum of 78 hours a week and 13 hours a day, with 11-hours of uninterrupted rest each day and a full 24-hour day of uninterrupted rest each week.

In this case, adding 5 months will -reduce- crunch. Trying to get it out the door by April would have been much worse on people.

This is smarter move and easier on the developers.

It means overtime, but controlled and spaced out.

Came here to make this point, and you've said far better than I ever could. Furthermore, I think the underlying issue with crunch before was that it was forced upon the development team with very little say from the team members themselves. It was an inherent part of the work culture in the industry that needed to be addressed and I think, for the most part, it currently is. I'm satisfied with how CDPR have handled it, by providing more development time to space out the workload and hopefully ensuring none of their employees are being forced into it.

Last edited:
It's the CPU/APU that is the bottleneck here.

Aye, 100% agree. And the original Xbone and PS4 don't have great CPUs.

Said it in the other thread, but if this is the reason for the delay, I won't be surprised in the slightest.

I only hope the delay doesn't lead to a mandatory worse experience for next-gen console players and PC gamers. I'm not getting into the "downgrade" BS, don't worry, just saying I recognize the necessity of a pared-back experience for older consoles, but would like those restrictions to be lifted for other platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom