[ SOLVED ] Geralt's hair wih thinner strands / less "dreadlock" look

+
[ SOLVED ] Geralt's hair wih thinner strands / less "dreadlock" look

The way that CDPR "broke up" Geralt's hair into pieces in order for it to move around dynamically should be commended, because that kind of attention to detail is rarely seen in games. Most of the time when a character has long hair it is all simply one piece that moves together, not individually like Geralt's does.I can see why they put the hair into "chunks" that look like dreadlocks, because with the amount of movement in Geralt's hair... having thin strands would destroy frame rates on lower end machines and raise the system requirements for the Witcher by quite a bit. However, what about those of us who could handle that kind of attention to detail? I personally find that Geralt's hair looking unnatural is really the only graphical gripe that I have with the game, it just looks out of place when all other visual aspects of the game as so stellar. Onward to my suggestion/question:Is it possible to mod Geralt's hair in any way that would make the strands much thinner and give it a much more natural look? If not, anything that can be done to fix the boxy looking dread locks while still maintaining the good hair physics that are in place?

Guest 2005166

Hey there. I´m not sure if that is really possible. He got about three "layers" of planes which resemble his hair, and when you thin out the texture on it, he prolly gets bald rather quickly (or looks like a guy with scabies...). Okay, not proven yet if it can be slightly "repaired" - not that I ever would have thought it was that disturbing. The only thing which works definitely is cutting his hair - to some extent, of course.But I can try, in my next sparetime and see if it A.) looks allright or B.)UARG!Cheers :beer:

Unkreativ said:
A.) looks allright or B.)UARG!
lol, thanks that would be cool if you'd give it a shot.BTW, when I said thin out I really meant to say break them up. For example, if Geralt currently has about 15 dread locks right now, tripling the amount of them and making it a total of 45, which would give it the appearance of more natural hair.

Guest 2005166

Hmm, I´m afraid I can just try to modify the texture and see to make it look err... kinda something. The mesh is quite another thing and I must admit I´m just used to Blender (and the smaller brother of max - gmax) so far, which unfortunately doesn´t offer an exporter for TW - and possibly never will do so (yeah, makes us unhappy) I just can extract me the model and split it´s strands , what just doesn´t help much. T,TBut some cool guy seems to have extracted the model back to 3DS Max and did a sweet animation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwobjyEC3Hs&feature=related, so prolly that would be the right adress for what you imply here. I hope I don´t do this guy any wrong now, he possibly also re-modelled the complete character for this (not sure, of course).Thread in the forums to this mod: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21463.0And a walk though:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaW_9bQIfM8Cheers :dead:

Nevermind, I fixed it and Geralt's hair looks fine now. I accidentally stumbled upon the solution while looking through the files to edit myself.I have the texture mod installed, and one file in there was making Geralt's hair look strange to me, and I thought it was a vanilla issue. To everyone else using the texture mod, remove the file "geralt_h1.dds" from your override dir and the hair will look 100x better.

Before (with the file): After (file removed): You can see the improvement if you look at the tips of his hair at the bottom, but a still image doesn't do this justice. The most major improvement was made to how the hair flows around when you are moving.

Guest 2005166

Strange... I think his hair works fine to me... without changing anything. But no worries... I already had other strange appearances ingame, despite a complete reinstall, I could not explain.

Top Bottom