Some notes on Steam Cloud Saving

+
Jake775 said:
Unfortunately that didn't work for me. :( Thought the last patch will fix that - no way. :( Only the saves that were previously sinchronized are available. Now I think only one solution is left: to download the game from torrents and use my original saves there... that's... urrr... that's... and support still keeps quiet... that's just ffffffantastic!..

PS. I hope they reward that guy who came up with this genious cloud synch idea... achivement: "How to ruin a game that is already perfect"... I would gladly do the same thing Roche did to Dethmold... because even Roche wasn't THAT pissed off...

Or you can claim your backup copy from GOG and not have to worry about synching at all .

http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

Jake775 said:
Unfortunately that didn't work for me. :( Thought the last patch will fix that - no way. :( Only the saves that were previously sinchronized are available. Now I think only one solution is left: to download the game from torrents and use my original saves there... that's... urrr... that's... and support still keeps quiet... that's just ffffffantastic!..

PS. I hope they reward that guy who came up with this genious cloud synch idea... achivement: "How to ruin a game that is already perfect"... I would gladly do the same thing Roche did to Dethmold... because even Roche wasn't THAT pissed off...
Gah that's a shame. I wish I could remember exactly what I did... Give what Tommy said a try.

Tommy said:
Or you can claim your backup copy from GOG and not have to worry about synching at all .

http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/
Ok... Let's try that. I've redeemed a copy of Witcher 2 at GOG. So, should I now uninstall it from Steam and install after downloading anew from GOG?

I didn't see this thread ahead of time, but I need help with a problem with what seems to be a Steam Cloud saving related error.

My game was running perfectly smoothly without any lag until a couple of hours ago I decided to clean up my save games files. Note! there was nothing wrong with the game at all - I just thought I might as well delete some of my old save games since I'd been QuickSaving a lot and piling them up.

I went to the Load games screen and scrolled to the bottom of the list - to my first saves. I clicked Delete, and acknowledged, Yes, I want to delete. I did that for maybe 6 old save files - deleted them that way, and then the game suddenly crashed.

When I re-launched the game, everything worked fine in the Main Menu, but as soon as I got to the Load Games screen my mouse started moving very laggy. The load time took a long time. Before that crash my load times were super fast! All I did was delete about 6 or 7 of my old save game files from in-game, and now my load time was suddenly really slow. Once I got in game I noticed the game was running VERY laggy - so much so that it's really not playable.

I am using the Steam version of the game, and wonder if that's where the problem is coming from, though I am not knowledgable about computer stuff and really have no clue. I did notice that after the game crashed Steam was trying to sync but failed.

I'm on Windows 7 btw, but please don't send me running around for extraneous info about my system. Everything was working perfectly until I deleted those old saves and the game crashed. My system runs all my newest games, single and MMO games, at high graphics and maintains very high FPS. I am really confident that the problem is not anything to do with my system or settings in general. I suspect it has to do with Steam saves, but am not sure. But I'm really a layman with techie stuff so please if you can help me, can you give directions that someone with no clue could easily follow, step by step. Thanks much.

P.S. If deleting all the Steam saves and deactivating the Steam Cloud thing might fix this: Is there a way to keep at least my most recent save point? Or will I have to start all over again?

If I should just get the backup copy from gog, is there a way to keep my most recent save point? If so, how? Also, would I need to fully uninstall the game before downloading it anew from gog? And if I run the copy from gog, and don't have any Steam sync stuff going on, will Steam still be connected at all The Witcher 2 and give me those achievements?

The main thing is if I need to start over altogether or if there's a way to keep my most recent save point somehow?

Thanks.

maradakia said:
I didn't see this thread ahead of time, but I need help with a problem with what seems to be a Steam Cloud saving related error.
I've answered you here: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31984-help-please-i-deleted-some-old-saves-now-lag-is-horrible/page__view__findpost__p__856021

This thread is so helpful, it is my second favourite thing; after Lesbomancy of course. :p

I bow down to all the people who added in support information, as it has enabled me to be rid of the dreaded steam cloud FOREVER! I only just converted after finding out Steam cloud is a devil in disguise.

It is amazing how much quicker loads and saves are from the Documents folder when compared to the steam userdata folder. :D

My cloud is not synching after I installed the 3.3 patch (I had to install 3.1, 3.2 and then 3.3 patch)
My default Witcher 2 EE on Steam says its version 0.0.0.0
So what now?

Chompski said:
My cloud is not synching after I installed the 3.3 patch (I had to install 3.1, 3.2 and then 3.3 patch)
My default Witcher 2 EE on Steam says its version 0.0.0.0
So what now?
You should never install any patches other than the ones that come directly from Steam . Now you need to verify the game cache and it will in all likelyhood redownload a couple of hundred files and a few Gigs of data .

Yeah but I tried to use the Brazilian language pack (downloaded on steam) and when I enter the game all texts are invisible. Menus and stuff. The only way I could make it work was by installing the patches from witcher website

EDIT: also with the default steam version the launcher keeps giving internet connection error

Chompski said:
Yeah but I tried to use the Brazilian language pack (downloaded on steam) and when I enter the game all texts are invisible. Menus and stuff. The only way I could make it work was by installing the patches from witcher website

EDIT: also with the default steam version the launcher keeps giving internet connection error

My Steam version has been giving the internet connection error since the 18.5 MB update last week . Also no skull and crossbones or lightning bolt is visible at all .
I got my BZ/KR text files from here and installed them manually .
http://en.thewitcher.com/subs_KR_BR/ .

If for some reason that you want to install these files and the patcher can`t find your install of witcher 2 then run the registry fix
http://en.thewitcher.com/support/w2/#q20

Hi guys I have a question, how do I access earlier saves in game? I want to go back to chapter 1 after completing the game but the save before chapter two are not showing. I can find them on the harddrive (in the steam cloud) but not in the load saved games list.

I, too, have a question regarding save games.

I posted a new thread about 24 hours ago about my issue, but that was before reading this thread. And, although my problem is somewhat different, I'm hoping that someone here may have enough knowledge to help me out.

I run W7 Pro, quad core, I7 (860 - 2.80 GHz), 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 570 Vid Card. I play TW2 EE. I'm not on Steam with this game - but I've read enough about saving game issues on Steam that I would have turned that off before I started playing (I have, and currently am, playing several games on Steam and am aware of the cloud issues).

First, I'm a fanatic about saving any game when I play. I just don't like where/when the auto saves are done. So, when I finished Part 1 - with probably over 200 manual saves, I made two folders on my hard drive (C:\Mage Guy and C:\Sword guy - I'm playing a mage-based and sword-based character).

I took the last 80 saves from each character and copied them into the appropriate folder - there still would have been close to 120 manual saves in those folders all-together.

Yesterday, I started playing Part 2, starting with the quest to go into the mine and get the Immortelle. In the almost 2 1/2 hours in that mine, I probably did 35 manual saves.

Next time I played, I purchased an item that I later realized I could not wear till Part 3, so I decided to restore an earlier saved game.

It was at this time, that I discovered that there was only one manual save in the save game directory, and that was the one I just did, right before I decided to restore another save. The only other saves in the Documents/.../..../saved game folder were auto saves.

The real screwy thing about all this is, that I then looked at the Sword and Mage Guy folders, and all but one of the manual saves had disappeared. Each of the manual saves in these folders was at the top of the list of saves, not anywhere in the middle or end as they could have been randomly. So, it was the last save in each folder and the only manual save.

I read something earlier in this thread - page 1 I think, about a 100MB limit - is that for all TW2 games or just the games on the Steam cloud?

Thanks if anyone can help.

SixSixSix said:
I, too, have a question regarding save games.

I posted a new thread about 24 hours ago about my issue, but that was before reading this thread. And, although my problem is somewhat different, I'm hoping that someone here may have enough knowledge to help me out.

I run W7 Pro, quad core, I7 (860 - 2.80 GHz), 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 570 Vid Card. I play TW2 EE. I'm not on Steam with this game - but I've read enough about saving game issues on Steam that I would have turned that off before I started playing (I have, and currently am, playing several games on Steam and am aware of the cloud issues).

First, I'm a fanatic about saving any game when I play. I just don't like where/when the auto saves are done. So, when I finished Part 1 - with probably over 200 manual saves, I made two folders on my hard drive (C:\Mage Guy and C:\Sword guy - I'm playing a mage-based and sword-based character).

I took the last 80 saves from each character and copied them into the appropriate folder - there still would have been close to 120 manual saves in those folders all-together.

Yesterday, I started playing Part 2, starting with the quest to go into the mine and get the Immortelle. In the almost 2 1/2 hours in that mine, I probably did 35 manual saves.

Next time I played, I purchased an item that I later realized I could not wear till Part 3, so I decided to restore an earlier saved game.

It was at this time, that I discovered that there was only one manual save in the save game directory, and that was the one I just did, right before I decided to restore another save. The only other saves in the Documents/.../..../saved game folder were auto saves.

The real screwy thing about all this is, that I then looked at the Sword and Mage Guy folders, and all but one of the manual saves had disappeared. Each of the manual saves in these folders was at the top of the list of saves, not anywhere in the middle or end as they could have been randomly. So, it was the last save in each folder and the only manual save.

I read something earlier in this thread - page 1 I think, about a 100MB limit - is that for all TW2 games or just the games on the Steam cloud?

Thanks if anyone can help.

No . The 100 MB limit is only for steam cloud saving . It`s really odd that only the manual saves are missing . If you open your Documents>Witcher 2>savegame folder you should have Autosaves listed first with the oldest toward the top with progressively newer Autosaves the further down you get . After the Autosaves come the Manual saves in the same fashion . Last should be a Quicksave of which there should be only one . Quicksaves always overwrite which is why there`s only one . Just to be certain when you say manual save is this by pressing Esc and then clicking save ?

Tommy said:
No . The 100 MB limit is only for steam cloud saving . It`s really odd that only the manual saves are missing . If you open your Documents>Witcher 2>savegame folder you should have Autosaves listed first with the oldest toward the top with progressively newer Autosaves the further down you get . After the Autosaves come the Manual saves in the same fashion . Last should be a Quicksave of which there should be only one . Quicksaves always overwrite which is why there`s only one . Just to be certain when you say manual save is this by pressing Esc and then clicking save ?

Sorry, when I say "manual save" I mean saving the game by pressing F5 - at which time in the lower left hand corner of the screen it will say "Game Saved." The F5 key save is per the instructions in the users manual.

I just finished playing another quest - outside town for about 1 hour - and did about 6-8 F5 saves, none of which show. Not only that, but in the save game folder, and the two other folders I built for the extra saves, there are only auto saves, and all three folders have one quick save at the top (I set the folders up with the newest/latest save on the top.)

I don't understand where the quick save comes from, unless that's the F5 key save, and overwrites the previous save as you said. If this is the case, I misunderstood the instructions - but it said any time you want to save the game hit F5 - making me think I would have all these saved games lol. Anyway, if I go ESC and then Save, will that build a set of separate saves (separate from the autosaves?) Earlier, I had to replay about an hour from the last time I played since that quick save took me back so far.

Thanks for the help.

Note: Just to let you know how anal I am about saving, after playing Skyrim for six months, I had over 12,000 manual saves lol. But I never had a problem going back if necessary.

SixSixSix said:
Sorry, when I say "manual save" I mean saving the game by pressing F5 - at which time in the lower left hand corner of the screen it will say "Game Saved." The F5 key save is per the instructions in the users manual.

I just finished playing another quest - outside town for about 1 hour - and did about 6-8 F5 saves, none of which show. Not only that, but in the save game folder, and the two other folders I built for the extra saves, there are only auto saves, and all three folders have one quick save at the top (I set the folders up with the newest/latest save on the top.)

I don't understand where the quick save comes from, unless that's the F5 key save, and overwrites the previous save as you said. If this is the case, I misunderstood the instructions - but it said any time you want to save the game hit F5 - making me think I would have all these saved games lol. Anyway, if I go ESC and then Save, will that build a set of separate saves (separate from the autosaves?) Earlier, I had to replay about an hour from the last time I played since that quick save took me back so far.

Thanks for the help.

Note: Just to let you know how anal I am about saving, after playing Skyrim for six months, I had over 12,000 manual saves lol. But I never had a problem going back if necessary.

Yes F5 is quicksave which is why there is only one . The manual save is Esc and then click save and it will build a separate set of saves but they will still be in the witcher 2>savegame folder .

Tommy said:
Yes F5 is quicksave which is why there is only one . The manual save is Esc and then click save and it will build a separate set of saves but they will still be in the witcher 2>savegame folder .

Thanks, learned something new. That will teach me to assume things.

This problem just occured for me. I realized the mistake of enabling steam cloud save and now I can't disable it. I tried using Cers method and it worked last night, but when I started my computer this morning, Steam automatically switcher Witcher 2 back to using Steam cloud save (despite cloud save being set as disbled in both Witcher 2 ingame and in the preference in Steam). This has to be the single 'buggiest' function I have ever experienced with Steam.

Right now I am redownloading Witcher 2 from gog.com and hoping an install outside of Steam will enable me to continue playing on the saves I have available.

If anyone still has a problem with disabling Steam cloud permanently, I've found an easier solution to do so. Locate "User.ini" in Documents/Witcher 2/Config and change "CloudStorage=true" to "CloudStorage=false". Afterwards, go to file properties and check "read only" box. This will prevent Steam from reverting the value back to true.

Just make sure, after doing this to not change any other Witcher 2 options (keybindings, active DLCs, etc.) as that may cause issues.

Top Bottom