Something needs to be done in regards to bribery

+
BTW, Bribery fix was only discussed. Salma said they were thinking about it. I don't think anything changed in how Bribery works (counting duplicate bronzes - I don't think it is implemented). I don't remember seeing it in any patch notes. If someone knows for sure that it was implemented, I would be interested to see where this information was acquired.
I think it's implement from experience, had several games against it and saw more bronzes or medium prov cards (7-9) from it, might've been pure luck but I don't think so, since before it was like 100% chance of getting your high prov cards.

rrc

Forum veteran
I think it's implement from experience, had several games against it and saw more bronzes or medium prov cards (7-9) from it, might've been pure luck but I don't think so, since before it was like 100% chance of getting your high prov cards.
Unless you see duplicate bronze copies in the options, we can't know for sure that it was implemented. I don't think it is implemented, otherwise, it would have been mentioned in patch notes. Even in the Merchants of Novigrad podcast, Slama said they were considering it, but they are not doing it for now.

BTW, Bribery fix was only discussed. Salma said they were thinking about it. I don't think anything changed in how Bribery works (counting duplicate bronzes - I don't think it is implemented). I don't remember seeing it in any patch notes. If someone knows for sure that it was implemented, I would be interested to see where this information was acquired.
Damn you Salma, you indecisive girl...

Unless you see duplicate bronze copies in the options, we can't know for sure that it was implemented. I don't think it is implemented, otherwise, it would have been mentioned in patch notes. Even in the Merchants of Novigrad podcast, Slama said they were considering it, but they are not doing it for now.
You never see duplicates in Create cards, increasing it's pool to include duplicates would make the chances of getting those cards more, not bringing duplicates in the 3 options.

Honestly after adding a provision Limit to Renew and Blue Dream (which no one complained about) and leaving Bribery untouched especially considering that you can replay it multiple times I can't take them much serious anymore.

It was mentioned in a "to do list" as a fix for a bug.

As you say, no mention in patch notes yet, so, not verified fixed..

You guys do realize that bribery is purely a random RNG element in the game?

In fact, the very notion of creating a copy of 3 random cards from your opponents starting deck is plainly speaking, detrimental to whoever plays the card. It's purely a RNG/last ditch effort card.

Why do I say that? The reasons are very simple.

1) What is the ratio of gold cards vs other bronze cards in the opponents deck? I would give it nearly a 10:1, highest being the bronzes (not counting golds from non units).

2) What are the chances of creating any kind of "useful" synergy if ever can be derived from playing bribery? (assuming your opponent is of a different faction and/or plays different strats than you). If at all, this card provides a "body" on the board, at least 85% of the time without any useful abilities, think about "the giants".

3) Any sort of nerf to this card would make this card entirely unplayable, it being a gold legendary as well. Also, bribery fits into one of the synergies for NG which is assimilate. The only other strats that can trigger that are imperial diplomacy, and spies. Also, if Bribery is nerfed, what happens to Cantarella? Aren't those two cards essentially somewhat the same?

Last edited:
You guys do realize that bribery is purely a random RNG element in the game?

In fact, the very notion of creating a copy of 3 random cards from your opponents starting deck is plainly speaking, detrimental to whoever plays the card. It's purely a RNG/last ditch effort card.

Why do I say that? The reasons are very simple.

1) What is the ratio of gold cards vs other bronze cards in the opponents deck? I would give it nearly a 10:1, highest being the bronzes (not counting golds from non units).

2) What are the chances of creating any kind of "useful" synergy if ever can be derived from playing bribery? (assuming your opponent is of a different faction and/or plays different strats than you). If at all, this card provides a "body" on the board, at least 85% of the time without any useful abilities, think about "the giants".

3) Any sort of nerf to this card would make this card entirely unplayable, it being a gold legendary as well. Also, bribery fits into one of the synergies for NG which is assimilate. The only other strats that can trigger that are imperial diplomacy, and spies. Also, if Bribery is nerfed, what happens to Cantarella? Aren't those two cards essentially somewhat the same?
We already talked about this above, it is not OP, it is imbalanced, because of the high RNG, outcome of the match with a bribery deck, is pretty much decided on what the bribery will get for the NG player, if it`s a weak card, NG player will most likely loose, if it`s a 11+ cost card, NG player will most likely win, and that is the main problem with it, it does`nt need a nerf, it needs a change, such as Limiting it`s Create pool, which is both a buff and a nerf, since it will neither get weak cards nor too powerful.

Honestly after adding a provision Limit to Renew and Blue Dream (which no one complained about) and leaving Bribery untouched especially considering that you can replay it multiple times I can't take them much serious anymore.

Yup, I've never seen someone play Blue Dream even when watching pro play.

Bribery on the other hand can win you a game based on pure RNG and creates pure anger for the player that loses because of it. It is an unfair card that they should get rid of :shrug:

The only reason bribery is an issue at all is the huge quality difference between cards. If typical bronzes were closer in value to the super golds, RNG with the card would not be an issue.

Bribery is easily countered by deck design. You need to fear an opponent pulling an OP gold card only if you have that OP card in your deck in the first place. In general, opponents copying your cards should almost always be worse for them than for you — after all, those cards were chosen by you to synergise with your deck, not with your opponent’s. I, for one, am happy to see bribery and to watch my opponent pull one berserk or death wish card after another with no way to trigger them.

If bribery is truly an issue for “top decks”, I submit that the problem is not with bribery, but with other cards that derive too much power without requiring support structure. I can think of one exception — Glustyworp, where the card can steal your preparation as well. But even there, a subtle change to Glustyworp (destroy all friendly 1 strength units...) would fix the issue. I maintain that any card that is problematic when played against you is also problematic when played by you. I believe developers should address root causes, not symptoms.

Note: I have no objection to raising the provision cost of bribery — that could be a basic issue of balance; my basic complaint is to the attitude that my own card is OP if played against me.

Bribery is easily countered by deck design. You need to fear an opponent pulling an OP gold card only if you have that OP card in your deck in the first place.

Yeah, just don't put any gold card in your deck, then Bribery will always get low (to no) value. That's not realistic, though. Yes, you could limit your deck to include only high synergy cards, but even that is too restricted. It's fine that you can get punished for playing certain cards (against certain decks). However, it's not fine that you get punished for just putting those cards into your deck.

I am not saying that Bribery is an issue. But your specific counter argument for Bribery doesn't work, IMO.

Guest 4375874

The only reason bribery is an issue at all is the huge quality difference between cards. If typical bronzes were closer in value to the super golds, RNG with the card would not be an issue.

Bribery is easily countered by deck design. You need to fear an opponent pulling an OP gold card only if you have that OP card in your deck in the first place. In general, opponents copying your cards should almost always be worse for them than for you — after all, those cards were chosen by you to synergise with your deck, not with your opponent’s. I, for one, am happy to see bribery and to watch my opponent pull one berserk or death wish card after another with no way to trigger them.

If bribery is truly an issue for “top decks”, I submit that the problem is not with bribery, but with other cards that derive too much power without requiring support structure. I can think of one exception — Glustyworp, where the card can steal your preparation as well. But even there, a subtle change to Glustyworp (destroy all friendly 1 strength units...) would fix the issue. I maintain that any card that is problematic when played against you is also problematic when played by you. I believe developers should address root causes, not symptoms.

Note: I have no objection to raising the provision cost of bribery — that could be a basic issue of balance; my basic complaint is to the attitude that my own card is OP if played against me.
Every deck has and every opponent will have a strong Gold Card. I'm not using the term OP as you have because not all gold cards are OP. You're basically suggesting that the solution to Bribery is to stack your deck with bronze units which is a bit narrow sighted.
The problem most had with Bribery is your opponent always being given gold cards that would more often than note change the game in their favor not just once or twice but up to three times when utilized with other units like Damien etc. I've had an opponent play Bribery 3 times and each time drew the same gold card. I believe the devs have balanced it somewhat in recent updates so it's not as bad anymore but RNG is still garbage that should be done away with

Is it possible to limit the Bribery that it can only create card with provisions less than Bribery's provisions? I mean, the card Renew costs 12 provisions, and it can only resurrect a card with 9 provisions cost. Since there is RNG in Bribery, we may allow it to create a new card with provision costs no more than 8, which is the current Bribery's cost. Also, maybe we can increase the Bribery's cost to 9? In this case, it may cost more but also increase the upper bound of this card.

In one of my today's match, my opponent use Bribery to create my Triss: TeleKinesis, which costs 11 provisions, and I feel it is OP. That's why this idea occurs to me.

Yeah, just don't put any gold card in your deck, then Bribery will always get low (to no) value. That's not realistic, though. Yes, you could limit your deck to include only high synergy cards, but even that is too restricted. It's fine that you can get punished for playing certain cards (against certain decks). However, it's not fine that you get punished for just putting those cards into your deck.

I am not saying that Bribery is an issue. But your specific counter argument for Bribery doesn't work, IMO.
Ahhhh now I understand what you were referring to about Bribery in the other thread when I was complaining about suspect match making. Btw I encountered, Lambert: Swordmaster again. Funnily enough, this time it had roundy dwarves to target. Strange that for a card that always plays for 8, it never makes an appearance against my decks that can't play more than two copies of a card. But I digress...

Back to bribery. It didn't occur to me at the time that this was not by design, but I also had someone pull igni multiple times on me, I think it was in the last two weeks.

Anyway, I just thought FFS, yet another ridiculous NG event. Then forgot all about it til reading other people encountering the same thing.

Now that NG will receive some fresh strong Gold cards, it's possible they are going to nerf or change bribery. However I think this card won't be too much of a problem, because people will be too busy complaining about Coup + Fergus essentially playing any Gold card.

I don't think bribery will see the light of day with any of the new cards that NG is pushing in the next patch, it's only good with assimilate and maybe insight into opponents cards strategy.

Imo I would like to see Bribery 12-13p ( yes if you want to rely on rng pay the price ) and be able to create only gold cards. In current state it's really bad ( you can mitigate this this with Stefan Skellen ) or extremely broken ( ofc Skellen again ), even without Stefan random highroll like Oak or Boar of the sea usually means you opponent will lose to rng and that should never be the case.

Imo I would like to see Bribery 12-13p ( yes if you want to rely on rng pay the price ) and be able to create only gold cards. In current state it's really bad ( you can mitigate this this with Stefan Skellen ) or extremely broken ( ofc Skellen again ), even without Stefan random highroll like Oak or Boar of the sea usually means you opponent will lose to rng and that should never be the case.
Cards like "The Great Oak" and "Wild Boar of the Sea" require proper setup to reach anything close to decent value. I don't play Nilfgaard more than any of the other factions (excluding Syndicate), but I can tell you that most of the time, Bribery only barely breaks even at 8 Provisions. Even if it could only create Gold cards, it should never cost more than 10 Provisions because oftentimes, the cards you're offered are just not valid options. I realize that it's expensive to craft Legendary cards, but I can assure all of the people who think "Bribery" is broken that if you were to play a dozen matches with it in your deck, then you would definitely change your minds. Gwent has many broken cards, but "Bribery" is not one of them.

Guest 4375874

Cards like "The Great Oak" and "Wild Boar of the Sea" require proper setup to reach anything close to decent value. I don't play Nilfgaard more than any of the other factions (excluding Syndicate), but I can tell you that most of the time, Bribery only barely breaks even at 8 Provisions. Even if it could only create Gold cards, it should never cost more than 10 Provisions because oftentimes, the cards you're offered are just not valid options. I realize that it's expensive to craft Legendary cards, but I can assure all of the people who think "Bribery" is broken that if you were to play a dozen matches with it in your deck, then you would definitely change your minds. Gwent has many broken cards, but "Bribery" is not one of them.
It is when you consider drawing the same card more than 3 times. I agree on a single draw...if it's balanced (gold/bronze which I still don't see) then it's fine as is. But consider that you cannot add three of the same gold cards but your oppooent is allowed to play the same gold card three times or more. That makes no sense. Remove the card from the pool once bribery draws it and you'd see less pots like this

I would never criticized bribery if I wound't had a lot of experience with this card. If im playing Nilgaard it's almost always auto include or just random gold filler because card have highroll potential. I don't use it if I don't want filler. The amont of realy ridicolous interactions I've created "out thin air" is above any resonable level. Same playing against bribery. ( there was a time when I was taking screenshots of states of the board - some of them ware really crazy ) We may not call it op ( because have potential to be bad ) but in this case it's fair to call bribery a very badly designed card. At the end probably the bigest problem with Nillfgard it's ability to replay gold cards, and use some powerful effects multiple times. ( yes Skelliege can do that to some extend but they effect generaly will be bit less powerful - I'm not couting double Cerys, imo same bad design as bribery if we combine her with Lippy ) I'd see no point in pointless complaining about cards. I would like to see balanced fair game for everyone.
Post automatically merged:

One more thing regarding Nilfgaard - generally every month I'm bouncing between ranks 0-4 and usually 7-8 games out of 10 is against Nilfgaard, that fact alone is telling me something is very wrong. Sometimes I think maybe Gwent name should be changed to Nilgaard - 1 faction to rule them all :D I'm mainly scoia'tael player, it was always like that since closed beta, and for example I would never defend Water of Brokilon if people would calling for nerf. I don't play Mystic echo water because I think that deck is balancing on edge of being op. Sure I'm using water in call of nature Aglaise deck because I desperately need to win first round or game over, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom