[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
That's...nothing. Come on, even Keanu doesn't get much of a solid backstory in this game, you want some no-name like V have it? :ROFLMAO:

You're killing me :D

At least the writers (or one of them) tried to give V a priority in the endings (not too clear and a bit too late), not just "Panam?! Come on, click here. We've got Panam!".

For me, it was Judy who was thrown into a different car and I had to drive with Panam in the tank anyway. On top of it, she had a huge monologue about her lovely Evelyn just before I facepalmed so hard that I almost crashed this tank on one of the rocks :D

I have to say it's super interesting to read everyone's different takes and perspectives on the endings and the story in general!

Of course I can't speak for your Vs, but I imagined my V to suppress a lot of the stuff going on with her (except when talking to Vik maybe, because he knows anyway). Because it's her problem and she didn't want to drag her new friends down. That's why she is restless and always busy doing some gigs, distracting herself from the giant "no future"-sign in her head. Also she never really had the time to heal after Jackie's death... she's a complete mess, but pretending to be okay until she collapses and has to explain.

Last edited:
And this is where story gets mess aka downer's vibe,
It's also getting messy with Plot Cancer/Diabolus Ex Machina but that's a cheap and weak move by default.

V was about the survival and game due to it's short MQ tried hard to make an impression about dying/coming to terms with it. Later we have plot cancer/Never Fade Away/answering machine's messages - and they are pointing what version is a correct one.
How this is executed is for every one to judge - I don't like the story due to it's vibe, not in 2020.

And about Space Heist listen how V sounds when talking with MBE. I would want to play this V.
I agree about writers desire to tell the tale about death, the desire to live and that sometimes it is not achievable. Like when you play a game you hear this songs like Never Fade away, you see the signs everywhere that "End is near" , "No Future" or from my personal collection
photomode_17012021_161329.png

So that feeling is there, talking with sky, with alt , misty it does give a death vibe. And after the ending(Arasaka one) i felt sadness but anger as well.

Do you know what would be a proper DLC? (Beside the cure ofc). Remember the sentence from E3?
"Wake the fu*k up samurai - we have a city to burn" I would like to have this - exacly this as my DLC opening. Just see the night city burn. To leave all of legends of afterlife in the dust. Change the night city forever. If V is supposed to die because the writers said so - because it is cruel and shit world - fine. Then there is one thing to do - die on terms set by V not succumb to illness. I hope that at least this will be allowed.
Maybe it's me personally but I don't like V as Victim, I prefer V as Victoria :)

Sometimes it was irritating that you were forced into voicing V’s more aggressive opinions against characters (e.g. Johnny or Goro) whereas with other characters you were free to make up your mind yourself.

Sometimes? You are being generous.
I think you can make up your mind only because sometimes V doesn't say much or repeats the same thing over and over again like "WHERE IS EVELYN PARKERRRRRRRRR". So then you might try to fill the void with your imagination.

I know how cyberpunk works and all, but I feel there could be one or two scenarios where V lives.

- maybe in a dlc V meets someone who could help him/her. This person could be a shady techie/netrunner or whatever ,and offer V an option to remove the chip during the end mission. In order to unlock this option you'd have to get on their 'good side'. Do a few missions that involve a couple moral dilemmas. Are you willing to hurt innocent people to save yourself?

I gotta say though... The dying ending isn't 'terrible'? Your best friend Jackie Welles dies right next to you. You tap his shoulder, "see you in the major leagues Jackie..." in the final mission you die, and in death you see your friend Jackie once more. A bitter sweet ending. You went out in a blaze of glory just like you said you would. Do I still wish for a happy ending? Hell yeah! Atleast one. It wouldn't even have to be a perfect happy ending. Simply one where your character continues living the remainder of his life. The cyberpunk world would still be a dark place. V would continue living and see the world is still a messed up corrupt place. Having V live, imo would have a little happiness in the game. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice.

Do a few missions that involve a couple moral dilemmas. Are you willing to hurt innocent people to save yourself?

That's what I'm missing too. I mean, one of the few dilemmas are Netwatch agent and Maiko, and they're far away from innocent.

In the meantime, I've been trying to exercise my headcannon ending with hurting Hanako that the game never let me bring to life:ROFLMAO:

photomode_01022021_1845114.png

The Arasaka ending is, on a large scale, saying "Yes, absolutely" to this question and they still fucking kill you.
That really applies only with hindsight. When you are making the decision at rooftop, Yorinobu has at that point only appeared as an aggressive upstart who prioritizes his power over family, promoted Adam Smasher to head of security, and is plotting to start a war with Militech. By the time you learn he had some good intentions you aren't given any choices anymore.

what a nice twitter post
mb it should be added before main menu as a warning
Not necessarily related to the endings, lots of things are left ambiguous. How Soulkiller works, whether traditional souls exist ingame or not, the origin of the tarots that V and Johnny see, whether the Zen Master was real and truthful or a charlatan, and so on.

None of these bothered me, only the endings :shrug:

what a nice twitter post
"But I also like to frustrate players with ambiguity"

If by ambiguity you mean retconning things that are clearly stated within the game just so to make them works, well, yes then, we could call it ambiguity.
Personally though, I like to call it inconsistency, but that's just my take.

And it's not like it couldn't be avoided by, for example, simply removing the commercial about nanites being able to repair neuronal tissue.

I think CDPR couldn’t decide if players were meant to place their own persona in V’s character or not. I agree with what you’re saying, but compared to other games where your character is preconceived I don’t think V holds up. I got attached to the characters in the game, which made the endings more difficult, but that was my own judgement from my own point of view, rather than adopting whatever opinions V provides, does that make any sense?

Sometimes it was irritating that you were forced into voicing V’s more aggressive opinions against characters (e.g. Johnny or Goro) whereas with other characters you were free to make up your mind yourself.

This is the Mass Effect (the third more specifically) dilemma all over again, yes you can chose Shepard's back story (which surmounts to a quantifiable bucket of nothing except a minor side quest and a few text messages) and somewhat shape his personality (quite comically so when you go full renegade and he becomes a jerk) throughout the game.

No one went into Mass Effect expecting to be their own character, or even more so expecting to get Fallout: New Vegas type of game.

The way I see Cyberpunk is somewhat similar with arguably more RPG elements than a straight up linear third person shooter with minor to non-existent RPG mechanics (which is Mass Effect 2 and 3 regardless of how you look at things).

In every trailer after 2018 they specifically said you will be playing the mercenary V, that you can customize his or her appearance and chose a life path that has an effect on the branching narrative and the game is first and foremost an RPG.

I really do not see how that resembles the concept of getting New Vegas type of branching dialogue and decisions, which, arguably, a heck of a lot of games fail to do, especially on the AAA mainstream A list (which needs to appeal to the lowest common denominator, for better or for worse).

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved for it to be like that, I really would have.

But the fact that we got something else is what it is, and we can either accept it or move on, I don't think the concept of the game will ever change.

We do have options to play V in a certain way, undoubtedly, now to what extent one expects to mold their V is arguably a direct correlation with their level of enjoyment of both the narrative and the endings to an extent.

My major problem is, just like in every other cinematic RPG, the response options displayed on the screen are not entirely what we're getting when they're spoken out loud, they don't explain the tone or the extent which V will go to with the chosen dialogue option - which in certain scenes will create a disconnect.

But in the end it's an open world video game, things will not always gel as well as in a linear game or a book, or a film.

Bottom line is, one can either chose to ignore the inconsistencies or dwell on them until ''the cows come home'' (loving this saying :D), the latter of which I believe is unhealthy and one should sometimes chose to move on.

But that's just me.

I think a big factor is every one of us is jumping to conclusions, some think V certainly died in the end and that's sad and everything sucks and/or doesn't make sense, others think V is still fighting to find a cure and so the endings are hopeful and a beacon of shining light.

Both those scenarios are fictitious as we do not know.

I'm also guilty of it.

Last edited:
I think a big factor is every one of is us jumping to conclusions, some think V certainly died in the end and that's sad and everything sucks and/or doesn't make sense, others think V is still fighting to find a cure and so the endings are hopeful and a beacon of shining light.

Both those scenarios are fictitious as we do not know.

Do you know where you can find this kind of ending? Usually in those tvseries where it's unknown if the authors will get another season after the first.
Being as vague as possible in the end is the only strategy one can take to avoid secluding himself/herself from continuing the story in a certain way.

what a nice twitter post
I believe he also said that he never intended for players to be able to crack open the conspiracy in ‘Dream On’, which suggests all the theorising people have done about Mr Blue Eyes etc isn’t going to be resolved.

I think a big factor is every one of is us jumping to conclusions, some think V certainly died in the end and that's sad and everything sucks and/or doesn't make sense, others think V is still fighting to find a cure and so the endings are hopeful and a beacon of shining light.
IMO a lot of people's problems, if you discount bullshit like Soulkiller, is that these are simply just... not actually endings. The situation V is in at the end of the game, no matter what ending you took, is the exact same position V is in after any cutscene where she learns more about the relic -- "you're dying but hey maybe something crazy can save you."

Separating from Johnny is ultimately the same thing as finding Hellman, meeting Alt, etc, the game just decides to end after this development. If there's any difference, it's that V's situation after the finale might actually be even less hopeful than any other development.

(On a personal note, I also just hate RPGs that have a "go back to your last save point to keep playing" ending, it makes the world feel worthless)

Do you know where you can find this kind of ending? Usually in those tvseries where it's unknown if the authors will get another season after the first.
Being as vague as possible in the end is the only strategy one can take to avoid secluding himself/herself from continuing the story in a certain way.

You just had to remind me of Firefly...

''Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand...

I don't care I'm still free you can't take the sky from me..."

On a more serious note, the thing I cannot wrap my head around is why they locked down Watson, what the $#@ck is the reason for that.

Just have the game open to everyone and if you chose to follow the main narrative with Dex and Jackie, fine, if not just go do Fixer jobs, level up your Street Cred, do more fixer jobs, have some side quests open up to you the higher you get, like The Peralez and Sinnerman.

That's my disconnect, being railroaded towards the main narrative which conflicts with the open nature of the game.

It's just... why?!?!?!?!?!

Top Bottom