[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
I have to say, while I generally agree with the whole "death is inevitable, what matters is how you live your life" sentiment, I find it pretty jarring in the context of twenty something V dying of a terminal illness in six months after weeks of struggle and loss.

This isn't someone dying for a cause or "living life to the fullest" (like the final cards in the Sun state, yet V sounds more depressed than ever), it's someone slowly fading and trying to make something out of those last few months because they have no other choice. To me V felt like someone who just starting to live.

I don't thinks its a live life to the fullest story, at least not yet. I don't think in any ending V seems to have reached that understanding. V hasn't defined what they are living for yet. They have loose ideas, but no ending suggests V has truly answered the ontology questions for themselves yet.

And yeah, it did feel like the beginning of a new phase. Like this was a prequel to another story.

That's interesting, cause I've just started Witcher 3 :D (hope this smiley face won't jinx it).

Getting a very different impression though comparing to CP2077. I'm much more out of the story, "travelling behind Geralt, watching and advising" so to say. CP2077 -- definitely "in the story" thanks to customization and 1st person perspective. Identifying with V - yes, with Geralt or most "set" characters - no.

CP is very linear I would say (in how Arasaka-Nomads-Johnny don't ever cross or block one another), but yes, the "line" has no ending. You play for 100 hours to know if V will survive, and guess what, you won't know. A bummer!
The Witcher 3, without the first two games played, or at least story known, is not as good. The Witcher series is among my favorite gaming experiences, and the story of what happens in the first two makes a very big impact in context of the final. That said, the game is amazing on its own as well.

CDPR has amazing writers, and their use of graphics and voice acting brings that to life. People like to put titles on people who acknowledge a talent in someone, but I guess they can say I am that way with Bob Dylan, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens, Sir Author Conan Doyle and more. I like creative talent that I can enjoy and gives me something that I did not have before. Greater perspectives and experiences, as well as knowledge.

This is nothing of what I just said. This is twisting my words to try to have an emotional point. As far as I know, none of us have cybernetics, and not all of us are capable of doing what he does. So, in your same stance, V should have that removed, because it is not relatable. When it comes to romancing, I rather these things not be in games. I find them awkward and mostly just wastes resources and time that can be put into something more interesting for the game. However, this game was not just made for my likes and dislikes.

In short, no, nothing as you are trying to say in some strange hateful way. You are not only misquoting me but twisting my words and it still is not a counter to the point that I made.
I was under the impression you were one of the many paradoxical replies here that assert that there shouldn't be happy endings, but that you were happy with the ending. After seeing your other replies I've realized that that was a misinterpretation on my part, so I'd like to apologize for being overzealous on that point.

Reminds me of the long discussion of Star Trek transporters. Do they make a copy of you that goes on living your life, or are they really transporting your soul as well. There is no way to answer it definitively, that I know of.

I like that they left it open to interpretation, it allows the player to add their own headcannon about consciousness/soul/ whatever you want to call it. I would have liked to explore this more, I think transhumanism is a big part of cyberpunk.

Personally, I don't consider V to be dead, but he is not the same as he was before soulkiller. He is just different. I love the tarot in this game, and the death card on the side of Embers kind of confirms this - but its obviously quite open on how you interpret it. The location is very important for all the tarot cards in the game, and this one is no exception.

The text from the card is
Death is the card of becoming. It signifies an imminent and difficult transition – the conclusion of one phase of life and the beginning of another. Inevitably, something gets lost during the transformation, but something else will rise and take its place.

Notice it doesn't say anything about end of life, but instead a major, difficult change that will be take place. I interpret this to be the end of V (when he is hit with soulkiller) but the rise of the 'new' (post soulkiller) V. This transition is obviously difficult.

My personal headcannon here is also the Death card foretells the end of the 'old V' who wanted money, power, glory, etc in NC, and the rise of the 'new V' that sees that family and friends are way more important than money, power, glory. This is kind of symbolized when V lets the bullet necklace and all that it symbolized go in the Star ending. He's gone through a difficult transition, and but that life is gone. Now though, he has a new life with family.

Expanding on this a little more, I also believe the tarot fortells that V will find a person of great strength who will save V (Panam, the strength card is right next to where you first meet her), and that the tarot also says that your only hope is to leave (The Star card is on the radio tower just outside NC, where you get into the baslisk with Panam for the last time and leave NC.) This is my mind makes Cyberpunk an epic story about fated lovers (the tarot is powerful in the context of the game) who save each other from the world, at least if you play male V and romance Panam. I personally loved this, and it wasn't at all what I expected when I got the game. This is why I think the Star is the best ending - even when I replay I won't be able to do the other ones.

I wonder if you could do the same thing for the other LI's or endings, I haven't figured anything out, but my headcannon is already set.

That's interesting, cause I've just started Witcher 3 :D (hope this smiley face won't jinx it).

Getting a very different impression though comparing to CP2077. I'm much more out of the story, "travelling behind Geralt, watching and advising" so to say. CP2077 -- definitely "in the story" thanks to customization and 1st person perspective. Identifying with V - yes, with Geralt or most "set" characters - no.

CP is very linear I would say (in how Arasaka-Nomads-Johnny don't ever cross or block one another), but yes, the "line" has no ending. You play for 100 hours to know if V will survive, and guess what, you won't know. A bummer!

I'm enjoying playing as my Geralt again currently but i definitely see what you mean regards being in the story in Cyberpunk before the end. Then i'm cast out and watch a doppelganger that bears no correlation.

I was truly loving the game. I thought it was a keeper, one of those games I play again and again and then play again. Before knowing anything, I thought the end could be something like these:
A: V gets rid of Johnny, sadly erased but V gets to live on. Even go on playing and doing missions, get more cars etc..
B: V gets rid of Johnny, but he goes on "living" with Alt in the cyberspace. V gets to live on. Even go on playing and doing missions, get more cars etc..
C: V doesn't get rid of Johnny, it's not possible but they accommodate to go on living like they were, schizophrenia two minds in one body.
D: V gets rid of Johnny by downloading him to another body, of someone who was going to die anyway. Both live.

Then I did the End, and learned that the other 6 ends were no different. Immediately lost interest in the game and haven't played it since. Thinking of trying it out again soon. Frankly, if new stuff like DLC comes out, not much interest because V will die anyway. <<<UNLESS>>> the DLC is an alternative ending where V survives and lives happily ever after, with the romance of their choice?

Guest 4519094

Then I did the End, and learned that the other 6 ends were no different. Immediately lost interest in the game and haven't played it since. Thinking of trying it out again soon. Frankly, if new stuff like DLC comes out, not much interest because V will die anyway. <<<UNLESS>>> the DLC is an alternative ending where V survives and lives happily ever after, with the romance of their choice?

Who told you that ? What a shame someone who didn't like the game ruined it for you with a simple lie, this thread almost reaching 1000 pages is a testament to that. Guess media is inescapable in 2021 huh, what a sad state of affairs.

You make sense, until you look at the other options. You have control of V, and doing so, you can change that dialogue.

You can change the dialogue, corresponding feedback and decide what it means. The player is far more limited in their ability to change the events. Those two concepts are not the same.

Most event based choices are things like, Do I kill Woodman now, later with Judy or skip content and let him live? Punch Fingers in his ugly mug? No moar shop. Ride the ripples.

In the Sun yes, they don't have the resources to help you, which is why it doesnt make sense for V to leave with Panam here.

Yep, and the game establishes consistency within itself via these tiny details. There are a millions ways to adjust those tiny details so the player gains more choices while leaving the rest of existing content as-is in the game.

The Bakkers actually dissolved becasue they didn't have anyone challenging their leader from within the clan - there is a shard in the Aldecaldos camp that explains it. I think this is why the Saul/Panam clash is so important, nomad clans need to take risks to survive, the Bakkers didn't and fell apart. The same thing would have happened to the Aldecaldos too if V hadn't showed up.

I find this interesting because my interpretation of the Saul/Panam dynamic boiled down to Panam had bigger balls and Saul was like a civilian running around in terror periodically spamming crouch after getting bumped by your vehicle until NCPD teleported into the area to rescue him. "No risk it, no biscuit.", as the saying goes.

And yeah, it did feel like the beginning of a new phase. Like this was a prequel to another story.

It does feel like a new beginning.

Maybe for an expansion ;)
Post automatically merged:

Pretty sure the nomads take the loot with them across the Wall. Mitch/Panam/Cassidy say something like that they can't cross the Wall officially due to the loot that everyone would notice as Arasaka property. I guess that they will sell some of that, anyway.

As @Ayinde_Palmer correctly lays out here and somewhere else before, your choice on the rooftop has (temporarily) heavy influence to the balance of power between the various factions (Arasaka, Mr. BE's backing, Aldecaldos directly, others indirectly). So if CDPR will release a post-endings DLC and let the player start from the Star ending, the impulse will originate from the nomads since they have the contacts in Arizona and the resources from the Arasaka loot. Of course, Mr. BE could still play a (then different) role, especially if the DLC would mend the different endings into a single quest line (before splitting it up again, dependant on player's chioces).

Thanks for the clarification and that was a great post by @Ayinde_Palmer.

I'm not sure where the post-game DLC will take place but if we're assuming Crystal Palace (based on The Sun) then maybe the nomad contacts would weave us to that destination as well. And like you said, MBE could potentially play a different role depending on what we're doing up there.

It could also add more 'choice' to the game if the role MBE plays (if any) varies depending on your ending (nomads vs sun).

Last edited:
Who told you that ? What a shame someone who didn't like the game ruined it for you with a simple lie, this thread almost reaching 1000 pages is a testament to that. Guess media is inescapable in 2021 huh, what a sad state of affairs.
This tread if any shows that far more people share this feeling and demand continuation/retcon you name it.

For me forcing people to buy 20€ DLC to resolve the main quest is a shady area, but how this game was “promoted” nothing can surprise me.

Funny thing is that this game was just made to look like it was destined to be a disappointment, eventually.

even waiting/believing that there’s more like MBE/Nomad magic cure, shows that this is not “full game experience”.

I was truly loving the game. I thought it was a keeper, one of those games I play again and again and then play again. Before knowing anything, I thought the end could be something like these:
A: V gets rid of Johnny, sadly erased but V gets to live on. Even go on playing and doing missions, get more cars etc..
B: V gets rid of Johnny, but he goes on "living" with Alt in the cyberspace. V gets to live on. Even go on playing and doing missions, get more cars etc..
C: V doesn't get rid of Johnny, it's not possible but they accommodate to go on living like they were, schizophrenia two minds in one body.
D: V gets rid of Johnny by downloading him to another body, of someone who was going to die anyway. Both live.

Wouldn't have minded accommodation option though i thought there might have been a merger option instead, which would be the one scenario where it would be ok to rewrite V's behaviour in the ending versus player choice.

Yeah, i'm still hoping the horrid plot cancer death is a DLC hook.

As long as the game is not a finished product
This tread if any shows that far more people share this feeling and demand continuation/retcon you name it.

For me forcing people to buy 20€ DLC to resolve the main quest is a shady area, but how this game was “promoted” nothing can surprise me.

Funny thing is that this game was just made to look like it was destined to be a disappointment, eventually.

even waiting/believing that there’s more like MBE/Nomad magic cure, shows that this is not “full game experience”.
No one can force you anything and for now, there are talking about FREE DLC coming in the next months. If they have decided to continue V's story as an expansion, for example, the Crystal palace then it is more than normal that it will not be free.

As long as the game is not a finished product

No one can force you anything and for now, there are talking about FREE DLC coming in the next months. If they have decided to continue V's story as an expansion, for example, the Crystal palace then it is more than normal that it will not be free.

That would be like selling the last 100 pages of a book tho :) Quite manipulative, since you don't know that the last pages are missing when you start reading it. But there's YouTube for this kind of DLC.

Paying money for dev's work -- OK, but planning the product in such a way that the last part of the story is missing and you can't make sense of it till you buy it -- not OK.

Nonetheless, since it's just FREE DLCs now, I'm just hoping it's not a bunch of random separate quests with lots of shards, but proper storylines, like River's.

If a game is planned as a duology, or trilogy, then there will necessarily be a larger arc for the series and a shorter arc for each part.

The other factor is the game release did not go as planned, Which alters the perception of the game. They say the free dlc was initially planned to be released shortly after release. By now we would probably be expecting the 2nd dlc coming shortly. You'd also have the company possibly promoting what future content might look like, instead of a media black out. Lets say the dlc unlocks a night city 30 days after mikoshi. Or the dlc unlocks new side missions adding ending paths. That could change the whole perception of bad endings, or whether the story continues.

As for continuing a story and charging for it. ehhh people generally want to pay people to create continuations of stories they enjoy, and are willing to pay for a larger narrative that is more detailed. As long as the content is good and worthwhile, I don't think most people will complain much.

That would be like selling the last 100 pages of a book tho :) Quite manipulative, since you don't know that the last pages are missing when you start reading it. But there's YouTube for this kind of DLC.

Paying money for dev's work -- OK, but planning the product in such a way that the last part of the story is missing and you can't make sense of it till you buy it -- not OK.

Nonetheless, since it's just FREE DLCs now, I'm just hoping it's not a bunch of random separate quests with lots of shards, but proper storylines, like River's.
Well, it is a different point of view I guess. If they have decided to make a big story from the Star/sun or even Arasaka ending it can hardly be done with few extra quests and it will be weird to say that V got the cure just to give the sense of "finishing" and then continue the story of V searching cure. No one knows what they really plan so being speculative and talking about "shady practice" is just not correct (yet).

Would of been cool to have an ending where V and Johnny both somehow make it instead of either one getting stuck with Alt (aka a happy ending, except for Alt).

I dunno, alt2077 seems like a cold fish. Annnnnd i couldn't shake the feeling she sabotaged my body so She wouldn't have to hang out with Johnny forever.

V asks alt what I should do: Come with me and feel the infinite freedom and power of a superior digital existence
Johnny: alt, can I talk to you for 1 second: Alt logs off.

then again maybe Johnny shouldn't go see alt right after making out with rogue when she can literally read his whole soul.

Top Bottom