Starting fights with my **** in my hand

+
Starting fights with my **** in my hand

Arrrg! just got this game yesterday and I'm loving it... Except every fight following a cutscene sees Geralt start with his, frikken, hands in his pockets... He approach a bunch of guys he's set on murderalizing and I cant draw his weapon until they've ripped through half his health bar. He approaches an end of chapter battle, surrounded by foes and he's stunned and bleeding to death before his weapon is drawn...Am I doing this wrong? or is there a mod or patch I can get to solve this? or is "common sense" a potion or mutigen I can make/collect/loot?Please help, I'm fed up of reloading the end of chapter one, not because I'm bad at the game but because that pallid guy with preternatural reflexes cant draw his sword fast enough or pre-emptively. ::)

Learning to use the various signs and alchemy potions will help you do enough damage to "catch up" with your declining health bar, but cut scene death can be a little common in this game until you know it's coming.

WhichWitcherIsWhich said:
Arrrg! just got this game yesterday and I'm loving it... Except every fight following a cutscene sees Geralt start with his, frikken, hands in his pockets... He approach a bunch of guys he's set on murderalizing and I cant draw his weapon until they've ripped through half his health bar. He approaches an end of chapter battle, surrounded by foes and he's stunned and bleeding to death before his weapon is drawn...Am I doing this wrong? or is there a mod or patch I can get to solve this? or is "common sense" a potion or mutigen I can make/collect/loot?Please help, I'm fed up of reloading the end of chapter one, not because I'm bad at the game but because that pallid guy with preternatural reflexes cant draw his sword fast enough or pre-emptively. ::)
You mean the guys of "She's No early Bird" quest, for example? Coz in such cases, reload and prepare with potions like swallow, thunderbolt, blizzard, tawny owl......whatever

If I'm guessing right, you enter a house and before you can draw your sword too many vitality points lost. I'm not giving any details as to what house is it in order not to spoil it in case you aren't talking about this situation. You just have to active pause with space as soon as you enter the place and arrange your camera click on an enemy with your sword shaped pointer or press the appropriate button the draw your sword.

Well, you can open doors with sword drawn, if you do it quickly enough before Geralt auto-sheathes from the previous battle.With one door in particular, it makes an enormous difference ...It's somewhat silly not to be able to draw outside the door, though ... you know, and Geralt knows, that it's gonna be dangerous inside that door.Outside happens to be a "no-combat" zone, so he won't draw?Silly.

secondchildren said:
Nope, coz Geralt takes his time to drink\draw the sword. You must be prepared before ::)
You can drink before and to draw the sword after having entered Active Pause just run past the enemies you might have encountered. Geralt is rather fast and can thus gain several seconds. Enough, at least for me.

SwerydAss said:
You cant open doors wtih the weapon drawn either... I hope they change this in the next one.
Yes, but... during combat mode you can't exit / enter rooms, etc. resp. open a door. Likewise you can't open containers, etc. Are you in combat mode? Otherwise Geralt can open doors and containers when he is armed with a weapon. There are other alternatives to avoid severe damage when Geralt enters a room and gets attacked.# You can keep them at bay when you blast an Aard# It may irretate them when you roast an Igni (at least they receive damage and attack is interupted# You turn a somersault over them and then draw your swordGL :beer:

PetraSilie said:
PetraSilie said:
You cant open doors wtih the weapon drawn either... I hope they change this in the next one.
There are other alternatives to avoid severe damage when Geralt enters a room and gets attacked.# You can keep them at bay when you blast an Aard# It may irretate them when you roast an Igni (at least they receive damage and attack is interupted# You turn a somersault over them and then draw your sword
Very goo advice ;)Aard especially can give enough time to draw the sword and kick their ass. But I suggest the same to drink potions\apply ointments before

One thing though, even in combat mode, UNLESS your sword is drawn, you can't do the roll/flip maneuvers.

You'll need to learn how to make potions. Then you can make potions like Blizzard, Swallow and other useful potions. To make potions, you'll need to enter meditaiom mode, and then click on the flask in the upper left hand corner. In order to draw your weapon, please press spacebar and press the Q key. This will make Geralt draw his sword. If you can, run around the enemies, stray from side to side or flip forward (jump over them). This will indeed give you a very nice advantage over the enemies. During the Prologue, you will learn the Aard sign. Very usefull for stunning, blowing enemies backwards. If you can, make sure to finish them when they're knocked down.

And in order to run around the enemies use the keys W, A, S and D. You will find them in the left part of your keyboard. Also don't forget to adjust your camera so that you can keep an eye on the enemies. To do so just move around your mouse until you have a good look on whatever you want to focus at. Last but not least, Aard is used by clicking the left mouse button.~~°

You may know this already, but I'll mention it here for those who don't:If you haven't been using keyboard shortcuts, it's very important to use them. My husband was complaining that it takes Geralt forever to draw his sword, and my experience is that he draws it very quickly, so I was wondering what he was doing. I watched him play, and my husband clicked on the thing that was attacking him. Geralt took awhile to draw his sword in that instance. I told him, "No, YOU draw the sword," so then he tried using the mouse to click on the on-screen icon of which sword he wanted, which also took forever. I said, "Hit q if you want the steel sword, e if you want the silver sword!" And then he was able to draw his sword very quickly.So, don't click on the monster and wait for the game to tell Geralt to draw his sword. Don't use the mouse to click on the on-screen sword icons, either. Type q for the steel sword or e for the silver one, and you'll get your sword much faster!

Corylea said:
Type q for the steel sword or e for the silver one, and you'll get your sword much faster!
Hm, good thinking, Corylea. I couldn't understand either why people had problems with Geralt drawing his sword ... that might be it.

Demut said:
Demut said:
Type q for the steel sword or e for the silver one, and you'll get your sword much faster!
Hm, good thinking, Corylea. I couldn't understand either why people had problems with Geralt drawing his sword ... that might be it.
Of course :Dkeyboard+mouse is the final solution!

Well, I can't even play without keyboard. I hate click, click and click and then more clicking. That's why I play in OTS mode and use all of the keyboard shortcuts. It's much more comfortable for me and it seems it has some other benefits.

Don't know if this helps, but I found taking the Blizzard Potion (I think it's the Blizzard one - the one that slows everything down and makes it go all matrix-bullet-time-like?) just before I opened the door and went in made all the difference.

Top Bottom