Status of Berengar? (Witcher 1 spoilers)

+
Status of Berengar? (Witcher 1 spoilers)

I've seen a few different archived posts about the status of Berengar. It's possible during the first game for him to die either by Geralt or by helping Geralt fight Azar Javed. Though in fighting Javed it is possible to keep Berengar alive, difficult, but possible.

I've seen posts that say he is dead and keeping him alive is a bug and people saying that it isn't a bug but Ive never seen anything official. His death isn't scripted into the game, it is only challenging to stop it from happening. And while the journal does update to say he is dead, that just as easily could be the bug.

Any thought's from other people on the matter? Or links to official interviews or statements about the wayward Witcher? If he is alive in the story it would be nice if that character was part of the Witcher 3 in some aspect.

Attachments

• People_Berengar_2.jpg
    People_Berengar_2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 96
You know, I remember myself back in the day when TW2 launched, thinking, "what is Berengar doing in this damn intro dream?"

I can't remember getting an answer. Thought CDPR has something more in store for the character, since they were the ones to create him from scratch, and had quite the plan for him originally.

But everyone says it's a bug so... It ain't no bug!

You know, I remember myself back in the day when TW2 launched, thinking, "what is Berengar doing in this damn intro dream?"
was this a dream ? I thought it was flashback of event before the first game

Yeah, I, too, always thought that his surviving was a fluke that CDPR neither planned for nor anticipated (TW1 was a rookie effort, wasn't it?) From what I remember, it's not like his survival is in any way acknowledged after that battle, not with new dialogue or anything.

Last edited:

I think it's both a dream and flashback but I don't think Berengar was there at the first game but he was in the second in that moment where the other Witchers find Geralt.

I think it's both a dream and flashback but I don't think Berengar was there at the first game but he was in the second in that moment where the other Witchers find Geralt.

On TW1 the sequence was shown in real time. Not a dream. The ones appearing to rescue Geralt, were Eskel and Vesemir.

On TW2, the sequence was shown as a dream. Geralt's dream. So the people appearing to rescue him were Eskel and Berengar. I wonder if that's CDRP's way of saying goodbye to the character. Like Geralt dreaming about him when he should have not, maybe showing his regret for Berengar's death. Who knows.

TO my knowledge CDPR has not said anything on the matter. Perhaps my memory fails me.

Yeah, I, too, always thought that his surviving was a fluke that CDPR neither planned for nor anticipated (TW1 was a rookie effort, wasn't it?) From what I remember, it's not like his survival is in any way acknowledged after that battle, not with new dialogue or anything.

That is also possible, they may have meant for him to die by making him so weak he shouldn't have survived the fight without actually writing in the script assuming it would happen 9 times out of 10 anyway. He does talk after but I don't remember it being specific to anything and the wiki mentions he just says "I needed time to think" after surviving the fight.

Actually, I don't think we do, and developers post when they have something to say, not because demands are made on them.

Berengar is dead as a doornail at the end of TW1; if he survives, it is unintentional. His appearance in the opening dream/flashback of TW2, if that is in fact him, is not remarkable, because that occurred before the events of TW1.

Last edited:

I've seen that theory too, the problem with posts like "Berengar is still standing there as if the game never expected the player to prevent Berengar's death." Is that is a guess at the bug being that he lived, as opposed to CDPR saying "yeah we goofed, he was supposed to die 100% of the time"

Which is also not to say you are wrong, but the probability of him being alive through that fight isn't overwhelming but it is no where near impossible. So that makes me think why is Berengar being alive the bug and the journal saying he died not the bug? Truth is I can honestly see both sides being just as true and since we don't see any official statements on the matter I'm really not sure why people are so positive one way or the other.

Though it is fiction so there is nothing stopping CDPR from just retconning the whole thing anyway no matter what the original intention was in 1, haha.

Maybe we get some reference in TW3, when talking to the other withcers. Or we could even visit his grave or a place of rememberance, that would be cool. Though I never heard, that the Witcher keep tombstones or walls with names or anything like that for their fallen comrads in Kaer Morhen.

Top Bottom