Story,game and books.**(SPOILERS)**

+
CDPR did a really fucking good job of continuing the story and unless Sapkowski writes a new book i follow the books into the games. Witcher 1/2/3 were great continuations of his story and by the time he gets his memory back in the Witcher 3 the Wild Hunt and the war along with Yen/Ciri/Emhyr/Dijkstra and other book characters returning really made for a great experience. I like how Dijkstra talks about Thanedd if you ask him, saying if he could go back in time he would of killed Geralt not arrested him. He says that straight to his face lol

Witcher games have great stories in terms of gaming experience, but if Sapkowski wrote a book and gave us Geralt with amnesia....Personally I don't see any need for continuation because "circle is closed". Geralt dying (or not)like it was forseen by Ciri, just when he wanted to retire, because he can't escape from who he is, and Yennefer dying (or not) just after we can see flashback from the day she was saved by Tissaia, and Ciri "the Graal" found by Galahad. It all fits. From this moment it can just go worse

Last edited:
Witcher games have great stories in terms of gaming experience, but if Sapkowski wrote a book and gave us Geralt with amnesia....Personally I don't see any need for continuation because "circle is closed". Geralt dying (or not)like it was forseen by Ciri, just when he wanted to retire, because he can't escape from who he is, and Yennefer dying (or not) just after we can see flashback from the day she was saved by Tissaia, and Ciri "the Graal" found by Galahad. It all fits. From this moment it can just go worse

Well i don't think they actually die. And if what that other guy said is true apparently Sapkowski himself even said they didn't die. It makes no sense that they die because of the Unicorn, Ciri saved the Unicorns life and now the Unicorn in turn is repaying that debt by saving Geralt/Yens life. That is what adds up. Avalon is a special place, a different world where few people can ever go, but it isn't the "afterlife" like some people speculate. It's like the Isle of Mists, you could sail there on a boat but it wasn't actually there if you didn't know how to find it. The Wild Hunt on the other hand, DO know how to find it. So i think it makes for a great story. Also Sapkowski could write a story based of amnesia, i doubt he will but if he decided he wanted to it would make for an interesting read with Geralt unable to recognise people from his past.

Well i don't think they actually die.
I didn't say that they did die (that's why I put (or not)). Ending is ambiguous . I'm just saying that their story is done. Destiny is fulfilled. Witcher ends with an obvious reference to King Arthur but there's a hint from Master and Margaret. Geralt and Yennefer couldn't be happy in their world where there's basically no hope left, so their going to another where they find some peace. So... story is done, whether they are alive or not, it's irrelevant to me.

Also Sapkowski could write a story based of amnesia, i doubt he will but if he decided he wanted to it would make for an interesting read with Geralt unable to recognise people from his past.

meeh, CDPR used amnesia for one simple reason - they wanted to use Geralt because he was an popcultural icon in Poland, but rather unknown abroad. What's the win-win solution? Use Geralt but take away his memory. Like I said, for games it was understandable, but for books - just dull for me.

And if what that other guy said is true apparently Sapkowski himself even said they didn't die
CDPR guys said indeed, that he said them, that Geralt survived :D

[video]https://youtu.be/ERMhSYDxVD4?t=44s[/video]

CDPR guys said indeed, that he said them, that Geralt survived

Confirmed Geralt/Yennefer survives, put all arguments to bed now! ​Confirmed

I didn't say that they did die

I know you never, i was stating my opinion on what happened. So Sapkowski told them they both survive, i mean i already knew they survived based of the Unicorn but to hear it from Sapkowski is a nice relief i suppose :)

Also that video is extremely dated now. Because by the time of the Witcher 3 they merge the entire story of the games to take place after LOTL.

Last edited:
Confirmed Geralt/Yennefer survives, put all arguments to bed now! ​Confirmed

Relax. When Sapkowski says sth it means only that he...says it He contradicts himself quite often. But what can you expect from a guy who introduces himself lately as "The biggest European writer since Pratchett is dead" :D

Relax. When Sapkowski says sth it means only that he...says it He contradicts himself quite often. But what can you expect from a guy who introduces himself lately as "The biggest European writer since Pratchett is dead" :D

Well Sapkowski is a bit of a weird guy, and i don't like him based of his interviews, comes across as a bit of a prick. The introduction of so many book characters in the 3rd game along with their stories about the past and if they could change anything. Dijkstra for example, when he is talking about how he would of killed Geralt at Thanedd if he could go back in time. I like these touches, it makes the book/game progression in the timeline so much more... authentic, unlike the first game which tried to create its own story and past, which kinda flopped imo. I recently redid the bathhouse scene with the 3 "crime" bosses who are actually better than the "legal" establishment within Novigrad lmao. But anyway, i loved how Dijkstra complained that he was going through the menopause. Maybe i should just link it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlB-Lnjy9xE&t=14m35s

It's hard to kill Dijkstra but it's also hard to kill Roche/Ves.

Well I read somewhere that Sapko did hint towards writing a new Witcher book, so we'll see what the future brings.

I'm trying to think if there are any stories told in the books that might give hints- some incident Geralt or Dandelion talked about that is not in any of the existing books?

The only reference to I remember to Season of Storms before it was published was from the Sodden monument in Sword of Destiny. Lytta Neyd, known as Coral.... Lytta had once denounced him to King Belohun, so he went to the dungeon for a week....​

Some of the other dead sorcerers from Sodden have brief backgrounds:
Lawdbor of Murviel, with whom he had almost fought in Vizima, when he had caught the sorcerer using delicate telekinesis to tamper with a dice game.

Old Gorzad, who had offered him a hundred marks to let him dissect his eyes, and a thousand for the chance to carry out a post mortem-'not necessarily today'-as he had put it then.

Neither of those sounds like quite enough for an independent story, but there could be other similar hints dropped in one of the books. A few other possibilities come to mind.
Anyone remember if Geralt knew Mousesack/Ermion before meeting him in Cintra? It seemed a bit like they knew each other, so a Skellige setting is possible.
Brokilon- Geralt has some previous history that causes the dryads to accept him.
Philippa- she and Geralt already know each other when they meet in Blood of Elves, but there is no further explanation.
Nilfgaard- the books claim Geralt speaks Nilfgaardian flawlessly, with no hint of an accent, but I don't remember any early stories from the Empire.

Nilfgaard- the books claim Geralt speaks Nilfgaardian flawlessly, with no hint of an accent, but I don't remember any early stories from the Empire.
Where, precisely? Anyway if that's so it's beacuse Nilfgaardian is a language-dialect which takes many aspects and rules from Elder Speech, and Geralt speaks it.

Agreed, as much as I want to see the Sapkowski version of what happens after Lady of the Lake, I came to the realization that it would be pointless, the Ciri parts in the books were mostly bad as it is and pushing the story forward would destroy the circle as you put it.

But we will see, he seems to be really pissed lately, so maybe he will write out of sheer anger?

If he really pulls a sequel out of nothing I will be the first to be pissed off. More than him recently. :p

But we will see, he seems to be really pissed lately, so maybe he will write out of sheer anger?
Did he write SoS out of sheer anger

(?)

Guest 3847602

Absolutely not, he wrote Sos out of sheer greed :D

I kinda liked SoS, though it was probably Astrid Lyttneyd Asgeirrfinnbjornsdottir that made me like it (similarly how the parts with Regis saved BoF for me). Sorel was lame, no question about it.

Astrid Lyttneyd Asgeirrfinnbjornsdottir

Lytta was very interesting character indeed, Mozaik was also good, and as always, some dialogs, references to politics, society, etc. But plotwise, this book was completely without any purpose (except money of course)

Attachments

• chuck-norris-approved-clipart-best-QsqLr2-clipart.jpeg
    chuck-norris-approved-clipart-best-QsqLr2-clipart.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 36
I just don't happen to think he's a very good storyteller.

Why do you think that?

With the success of W3 and with great world space and lore one would hope the future looks rosy.

I hope so too...but...well for now, CDPR has stopped the Witcher series! And it will be a long time till the next will be released!

And you should probably try Dragons Age: Origins! Or if you really want to change the Genre, go back to Rome 2 i guess!

So this post is in connection to your new thread that got locked! @figulus01

Why do you think that?

Well,for me none of the books standout as great stories in themselves like for instance the Tolkien books do..The interactions between his brilliant characters were far and few between as he seemed obsessed with estranging them all the time..which became a drag..He also gave up explaining why they were estranged half the time.Geralt would be in one corner of the map,Yen the other,Ciri yet another and then one or two of them would converge for a brief time...and then the cycle would start again..tedious.For me,each of the Tolkien books is a clear progression in the saga and the reader is left in little doubt where the're going and why, not so here.
Also got the impression that Sapo got lost on more that one occasion in his own timelines..:)
Look,I don't want to bash the guy because he's the reason there is this forum but I am glad that the franchise is moving beyond him.

I hope so too...but...well for now, CDPR has stopped the Witcher series! And it will be a long time till the next will be released!

They'll be back with a vengence...don't believe the current characters are done either.

And you should probably try Dragons Age: Origins! Or if you really want to change the Genre, go back to Rome 2 i guess!

:) Caved! On another playthrough..story only ;)

So this post is in connection to your new thread that got locked! @figulus01

Yeah,not sure why that was locked..curious..

Top Bottom