Story structure of Witcher 3

+
Mrowakus said:
Well, I've just finished Alpha Protocol. And lads I have to tell you - while TW2 is the king of makro C&C, Alpha Protocol is the supreme master of mikro C&C. If there are games that I wish The Witcher dev team took a closer look into (for inspiration) that one would be on the top of the list.

Amazing amount of C&C - I think that it's even unprecedented. Apart from that non-banal plot, mesmerizing characters, mindblowing events... It's lacking in the gameplay department unfortunately, but somehow it can be forgiven. The only reason I've waited so long with playing it was because I am not into the spy-novel genre... but boy was I wrong with missing this pearl.

If CDPRed pulled off the sheer amount of C&C like in Alpha Protocol as well as 1-2 makro C&C that would be a dream come true.
What's C&C? To me it's Command & Conquer, but that makes no sense in context.

Personally, I don't care of the structure of a game, whether linear or non. What I do care about, is that a game can tell a good and meaningful story, and that has an impact on the game world (though then again, having a good structure helps a lot).

KnightofPhoenix said:
Choices and Consequences

Neve heard of those before. I heard TW2 does it pretty well.

Chewin3 said:
Personally, I don't care of the structure of a game, whether linear or non. What I do care about, is that a game can tell a good and meaningful story, and that has an impact on the game world (though then again, having a good structure helps a lot).

Ah, but that's exactly where the story structure comes into play - whether it's build around C&C or not, for instance.

Computer games are unique in this way as the common story structures that work in games and movies are not so superb here. After all, why should I watch 10 mins of unineractive cutscene where stuff happens without my input, when it's better if it's me who will take part in events, changing them myself and see what happens.

That's why approaches by e.g. Bioware, when the game merely pretends to account for you choices and adds but two lines of flavour text here and there is inherently flawed in cRPGs - which is a genre about interaction. Otherwise, I might as well read a book or watch a movie - those media do uninteractive storytelling much better than any game ever will.

Top Bottom