Suggestion: Button to report roping

+
As a general reminder: Do not make accusations against other members on the boards.

This argument of "roping" is in fallacy:

1.) Many are assuming that's what is happening. And no, the argument of, "There is absolutely no other explanation for it," holds exactly 0 drops of water. It's entirely assumption. (Are some people roping? Almost assuredly. But there is no way to differentiate them from a technical issue or someone who is just distracted, interrupted, or simply prefers to take their time.) We don't act in ways that negatively affect other people based upon assumptions.

2.) This desire to publicly shame players is not acceptable. Forum Regulations. If you're feeling upset by something like this, it's time to take a break. Do not come to the public boards looking to settle scores. This is not the place. If you feel you have irrefutable evidence of someone intentionally being obnoxious, send it in to CDPR Support. Having a video of the match will help greatly. Regardless, the issue will be handled privately. There will be no drama nor spectacle; there will be no public vindication. Please, ensure that you're following through for the right reasons.

3.) The game contains mechanics that ensure players have enough time to strategize and play their hands. It's not reasonable to penalize some players because other players are in a big rush. A number of poor sports causing some trouble doesn't mean that we start glaring at and frustrating newcomers and less skilled players because it looks like they might be causing trouble.

Looking forward, I feel that an ability for players to create their own, individualized "Ignore List" is a great idea. Although, if that list gets big enough, players will likely be spending just as long waiting for a match to start as they presently do waiting for a match to end. I do like the idea, though, because it puts control in the players' hands and lets them decide.

Last edited:
Considering I play Usurper Witcher control on pro ladder at rank 18 with a good 70% WR, probably higher and have never been rope'd for an entire match...I'm having a hard time inagining this as a serious issue.

I mean I'm running an anti meta control deck that locks and burns everything while producing beatsticks that gain power every turn end...the only deck more frustrating to play against is Atrifact Trap spam dek.

Maybe the game could be set up to detect players who wait for the last possible second to play their cards (or not play them at all) throughout several matches and gives them a 15 minute time out?

Considering I play Usurper Witcher control on pro ladder at rank 18 with a good 70% WR, probably higher and have never been rope'd for an entire match...I'm having a hard time inagining this as a serious issue.

I mean I'm running an anti meta control deck that locks and burns everything while producing beatsticks that gain power every turn end...the only deck more frustrating to play against is Atrifact Trap spam dek.

Maybe the game could be set up to detect players who wait for the last possible second to play their cards (or not play them at all) throughout several matches and gives them a 15 minute time out?

Even so, this is problematic, because the player who is 'roping' might not do this to annoy his opponent. I don't see why it should be punished.

I am against any negative consequences of using time fully. It is nothing against rules of game.

I never use so called "roping" out of maliciousness, but I use it always as form of communication.
At example when game starts and opponent sends "hurry up" after I think just for 3 seconds. Game just started and there is definitelly need to process the most information from all phases of game. Could be, that opponent has "netdeck" with complete manual how to play it, so he knows exactly which card to play in which turn and order, but I only use my own decks and I do need to think to make optimal play especially since I started playing game just 2 months ago. Or when oponent starts neon-lights-disco-show to distract me from thinking. The more he is trying to distract me, the more time I need to focus and I will simply not play card, until I am focused enough to not make some stupid misplay. Or sending taunt after taunt in 2 seconds interval is also breaking my focus and it will make me think longer than if opponent would not do it.

Summary, so called "roping" is my way of communication to opponent, "please stop displaying bad manners and please let me think without malicious disruption of focus from you". The more I will be able to focus, the faster I will play.

It's a time that the game gives me in order to make a move. And it's my choice how i use it.

It's annoying yes. It's against the rules of the game, no. So there should be no consequences.

I play Weiqi where you have basic time and overtime(usually 30-60s/move) and people use the time to the fullest almost every game.

One teacher once said that if you lose the game with time on the clock that's probably one motive you lost the game.

rrc

Forum veteran
Could be, that opponent has "netdeck" with complete manual how to play it, so he knows exactly which card to play in which turn and order

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HC is actually much better in this netdeck-manual situation, mainly because of the Mulligan and the less tutors being available. Pre-HC, you can't believe how ridiculously repetitive every deck was. Suddenly one day you face a Powerful deck, then on the same day you will keep facing it. People use to give the deck and the order in which to play the cards.

Calviet meant Alchemy and Viper Witchers. Suddenly one day you face Calviet with reveal generating unmatchable tempo. That is all, you will keep facing the same deck and always played in the exact same order. So, you are lucky not to face such netdecks.

Back to topic. Yes. I also sometimes use the time to the fullest for various reasons including
1) (Mostly if I use at all) I am genuinely confused which card to play. Either I have all gold hand or pathetic hand.
2) I have to urgently tend to some personal things and I want to use the time to tend to it.
3) I sometimes forget to click the End Turn button and the 'Hurry Up' had reminded me to press the button more than a few times.

But I never do it maliciously simply to piss off opponents so that they forfeit. But I think sometimes people purposefully do that either because they think the opponent deserves it or because simply being [nope].

But most (or all) of the times we can know if the opponent is doing on purpose or actually taking time for genuine reasons.

While I would not support any Report or something like that that needs moderation, IMHO I think a Block button which is personal and private to a player's profile is OK. If someone abuses it, it is only going to affect them.

so, what is your opinion about a Block Button approach Charles?

@rrc I do not think, that block button would solve it for me (for somebody else it could).

First of all, I think, that any mechanism, that affects pairing, should not be present in ranked mode, only in casual mode. That means, in my opinion, block button would affect only casual.

Second, I think, that my understanding as a way of communication is good way on principle. Generally, I find comunication to be better principle, than "ignorance". At example, I already saw fruits of my approach. I recently play only casual and I was finding there very often one opponent, who liked to make spectacular neon-lights-disco-show for me everytime, when it was my turn. I do not know if he was reading this thread or if he understood my behaviour, but since today, he stopped those disco-shows, when he plays against me, despite he was doing it in every match we had before. As a reward for his improved behaviour, his duels with me are much faster now, than before. Basic principle of action and reaction.

Is it only me...or there's a hand full of players, who intentionaly spend all match time to make us bored and forfeit or DC?
I have gotten players who play a card very fast, then leave all the timer pass, all the time, every round they play a card normaly, then let the time waste.
Why? Why you do that? And in the end they lose, and their time was wasted so was mine, because eventhough i won it was a super boring match.

Is this a thrend?

Maybe they are doing something else too. Who knows...
Why would someone "work" after playing a card and then after the opponent plays, they play fast? I think this are just players who are praying that we get RQ from boredom or DC during the match

Sometimes I rope too. But unintentionally, since I just cannot get used to whole new passing system.
And sometimes I just need to do something else very quickly, therefore I let the rope burn so I have little bit more time from my round. It is not good sportmanship, but life is rough...

I understand it's annoying to deal with a player who ropes every turn, mostly if you suspect that your opponent is salty and tries to annoy you. However, most times people don't rope because they want to annoy. They are taking into account every possible play or maybe they are planning future plays. For example, I know a streamer who is very respectful and earnest both to his viewers and opponents but he ropes many times because he likes to think every play, and he plans every move and every card (and he has a very good win rate BTW).

In my opinion is more toxic (or toxier IDK, my apologies) the experimented player who spams the "hurry emote" to a novice player because the latter needs more time to read the cards and think it's plays (I'm quite novice already and so experienced it). I know there is a silence button, but it's still a despicable manner for an advanced (or average) player.

Is it only me...or there's a hand full of players, who intentionaly spend all match time to make us bored and forfeit or DC?

I can't say I've really seen this much. Rarely, sure. What type of decks are you playing? I'd wager the types of decks you play may influence the way other players view the game. Granted, personally I've always found roping counter-productive. It wastes the time of both players. It makes more sense to BM by being ahead by 30 pts with 2 cards left, playing both of them anyway and not giving a GG :).

I can't say I've really seen this much. Rarely, sure. What type of decks are you playing? I'd wager the types of decks you play may influence the way other players view the game. Granted, personally I've always found roping counter-productive. It wastes the time of both players. It makes more sense to BM by being ahead by 30 pts with 2 cards left, playing both of them anyway and not giving a GG :).
i have been playing BROUVER ELF and BROUVER DRAGON

i have been playing BROUVER ELF and BROUVER DRAGON

Oh, then no idea why people would intentionally rope. If you were playing certain other decks it would be a different story.

Are you sure they are roping? Sometimes I think latency/connectivity plays a role. I've had games where everything feels sluggish. Interestingly, long droughts between turns tend to occur frequently there too. The type where the situation was obvious and the card played was equally obvious. It's typically when the other player appears to be from a distant region.

I've seen what looks like roping every so often. It's not very common though. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason based on where the players appear to be from either. Granted, this is basing it on the name of those players. This isn't exactly a foolproof way to say a player is from region X or Y.

The problem with this type of thread is it's really hard to say with certainty a player is roping. There are a million other reasons a player would take additional time. I see no reason to offer a report function for this reason. How can you be sure it's roping?

Am I the only person that's incredibly unfortunate when playing Gwent? My games go on for so long because my opponents purposely make the timer run out. Is there a way I can report these players? The game's slow enough as it is. I honestly don't even care about my rank so I just quit those games because I just wanna play the game lol.

I JUST came to the forums now to see if there was anything about this.

These players need to be kicked. If you let it run out 2 or 3 times, you should automatically forfeit.

Some players, when is losing, do an ugly thing, and is to purposely wait for the last second in consecutive plays.
If the play is clear, it plays, but deliberately making the game slow is extremely un-sporty.
Time lost for both.

Some solutions? Maybe if you go to the red zone in the clock in some consecutive plays, you have less seconds in the next play? Or something similar

Top Bottom