Suggestion for harder difficulty

+
Suggestion for harder difficulty

Many players have stated that they find it rather easy to overcome combat encounters in Death March difficulty. Therefore, may I suggest the following should CDPR consider implementing harder difficulty than Death March(Dark Mode?)

I have 2 suggestions:
1) Remove alcohest and dwarven spirit from the world(boxes, crates,furniture,etc...). This way players will have to either create them or buy from npc merchants
2) Remove alcohest and dwarven spirit from the world(boxes, crates, furniture,etc..), no food/drink allowed in combat except healing potions(e.q. swallow)

The reasoning for above is because I believe they are less complicated to implement while making the game harder, especially the 2nd option. If they are not enough, have enemy HP and damage increased.

What do you guys think?

Tuco

Forum veteran
As I already made clear several time at this point, I'm all for decreasing the amount of garbage lootable all around. That said, I'm not sure that starving the player for alcohol entirely would be the best design decision.

Frankly the most meaningful improvement I feel they could make to increase difficulty (and solve some of the AI issues in the process) is greatly expanding the "area of engagement" for enemies.
Too many times you can see monsters or brigands chasing after you, then suddenly heading back to their starting point once passed an invisible line and WAY too often that happens unreasonably near to where you encounter them, too.

As I already made clear several time at this point, I'm all for decreasing the amount of garbage lootable all around. That said, I'm not sure that starving the player for alcohol entirely would be the best design decision.

Frankly the most meaningful improvement I feel they could make to increase difficulty (and solve some of the AI issues in the process) is greatly expanding the "area of engagement" for enemies.
Too many times you can see monsters or brigands chasing after you, then suddenly heading back to their starting point once passed an invisible line and WAY too often that happens unreasonably near to where you encounter them, too.

While I do understand you wanting more quality loot(we have gone over this before) my intention for creating this thread isn't for this rather to bring in idea that is hopefully simple to implement.

However, I do like your point regarding enemies not persistent enough when chasing and I believe it should be increased.

^ this. Many times I've engaded pack of 4-5 monsters and suddenly few of them just went back to starting point.
Also disabling food in combat would be good idea.

...Also disabling food in combat would be good idea.

Ok, not sure if your response applies to all difficulty or my suggested harder difficulty than Death March as my intention is for the more hardcore players seeking more challenges :)

I don´t think decreasing the amount alcohol available to the player would necessarily be a good way to increase difficulty. At least, in my experience the ease of difficulty didn´t come from an overabundance of potions. For the most part I felt like whether or not I was downing potions I could still take on pretty much anything as long as I used Quen liberally.

A nerf to Quen would be great though. I recall in W2 you didn´t regenerate stamina while quen was up, and I think something similar here would go a long way in increasing the challenge.

I don´t think decreasing the amount alcohol available to the player would necessarily be a good way to increase difficulty. At least, in my experience the ease of difficulty didn´t come from an overabundance of potions. For the most part I felt like whether or not I was downing potions I could still take on pretty much anything as long as I used Quen liberally.

A nerf to Quen would be great though. I recall in W2 you didn´t regenerate stamina while quen was up, and I think something similar here would go a long way in increasing the challenge.

Yeah. Quen should not absorb all the damage, but only a part of it.

So, if enemy damage is 1000, and the Sign intensity is 60%, then the enemy hit you only for 400 damage points.

Also, they really need to improve the AI.

Not using found alcohol can easily be self imposed. The devs aren't going to waste their time on something like this. A real difficulty spike will have to come in the form of reworked combat, monster stats and AI.

Also, they really need to improve the AI.

What's wrong with it? It seems pretty good to me: weak enemies cleverly backs away whilst the higher HP ones go to the front. Archers pull out swords to defend themselves when you close in. Enemy flanks whenever they get the chance.

Last edited:
Quenfest is the problem yet again. I cannot beleive, especially since they identified the quen problem in TW2 they did again. Quen should be a mitigation, not full damage absorbtion and should severely slow down stamina regeneration. Some might argue that Death March will be TOO hard after that, especially in the first hours, and even in lategame on anything else but sign builds, but you are not forced to play it.

What's wrong with it? It seems pretty good to me: weak enemies cleverly backs away whilst the higher HP ones go to the front. Archers pull out swords to defend themselves when you close in. Enemy flanks whenever they get the chance.

The human/humanoids AI.
Most of the time they don't attack you if you are at 5-6 meters far away from them, and often they perform a very long " provocation" and don't attack you even if you go close to them.

---------- Updated at 01:33 PM ----------

Quenfest is the problem yet again. I cannot beleive, especially since they identified the quen problem in TW2 they did again. Quen should be a mitigation, not full damage absorbtion and should severely slow down stamina regeneration. Some might argue that Death March will be TOO hard after that, especially in the first hours, and even in lategame on anything else but sign builds, but you are not forced to play it.

Yep.
So, there are 2 fix for Quen.
I said the first one in the previuos page.
The second one is that Quen simply block the vigor regeneration.

Wow I must say you guys are more hardcore than I thought :) Some of you suggest nerfing or changing how Quen works, the thing is it will not impact at least for me as I never use Quen so with that it does nothing to me :(

Wow I must say you guys are more hardcore than I thought :) Some of you suggest nerfing or changing how Quen works, the thing is it will not impact at least for me as I never use Quen so with that it does nothing to me :(

Uhm...another fix would be that roll should cost vigor, as long as the parry.

Out of curiosity...right now...does higher difficulty mean you get more XP or more drops or...what exactly extra bonus do u get for playing on a harder difficulty apart from the bragging rights and that achievement?

Out of curiosity...right now...does higher difficulty mean you get more XP or more drops or...what exactly extra bonus do u get for playing on a harder difficulty apart from the bragging rights and that achievement?

Same drop, less XP, more enemy damage.

LESS xp? ....that's a dumb way of making content more difficult. More like it makes it more tedious and unattractive.

Sry but the effort/reward ratio is not there to make me care about it.

Most of the time they don't attack you if you are at 5-6 meters far away from them, and often they perform a very long " provocation" and don't attack you even if you go close to them.

I see what you mean, but that's more game design than an AI quirk. Every enemy is limited to a particular 'zone' they can fight and travel within, they are forbidden outside of this zone. It is an issue because it can be abused with the crossbow, but allowing the enemy to follow you everywhere would probably cause more problems than it solves.

Same drop, less XP, more enemy damage.

Enemy damage is fine on Death March, heck damage mitigation in this game is pretty limited, even with Quen. Guards can pretty much 1-2 shot you if you're unprepared. Increasing enemy HP or lowering Geralt's damage output would make more sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom