Take those sniper rifles away. [Bears and Lore]

+
Take those sniper rifles away. [Bears and Lore]

Really simple fix that will balance the card AND make it logical.

Why is a fucking BEAR sniping units in the siege row? How long are it's claws, a few hundred meters? These bears have clearly been equipped with sniper rifles which isn't entirely lore friendly, now if they only hit units in the melee row... you know... those guys that spawn right in front of them, then we can generally play around that nonsense and no more tweaks will be necessary the bear can stay as a 6 no problem. Simple and logical answer.

I support this message! Also since it's a savage bear it should hit everything that appears on its own side as well.

You did not just play the lore card, did you? Claiming that abilities should be logical and follow the lore. Because... well, because! So yes, it's the "simple and logical answer", but it's neither correct nor balanced.

In all seriousness it would be an interesting change to bear if it was agile and only hit units in the opposing row. The power could even be buffed a bit to compensate. It would add some much needed depth to the card.

When a bronze card gives more value than some gold cards you know CDPR have messed up. Its always 2 steps forward and 1 step back with gwent

Rayataluqab;n8993770 said:
When a bronze card gives more value than some gold cards you know CDPR have messed up. Its always 2 steps forward and 1 step back with gwent
I'm playing SK at the moment in ranked mostly because you have too and that's all I can think about. It's kind of insane when I get more pissed off about not getting a Bronze card (Axes mostly) then missing out on a Gold. Seriously the amount of synergy SK's bronzes get out of each other (and weather) is off the chart.

Well in my mind bronze cards should always be core of any deck, it is only natural that you need those over gold.

Ignotas;n8992590 said:
I support this message! Also since it's a savage bear it should hit everything that appears on its own side as well.
That actually wouldn't change anything. If bears hit everything, it would be a slight point decrease, but it wouldn't do much overall. Axemen and Queensguards would still get played, and when they res, the damage gets cleared. No harm, no foul!

If bears are left as-is, they really should be a 3 power unit. I can play 3 power mages that spawn weather, but a bear that does essentially the same thing has 6 power. I can play 5 power Catapults that only hit once a turn at a random unit, but bears hit all and still have more power. Bears are like 3-row weather you can't counter. With 6 power, only Alzur's Thunder works as a deterrent.

I also think the Strengthen mechanic needs to be heavily look at. Right now, the only counter to Strengthen is Weaken, and the Weaken cards all reset the unit. That means damage gets cleared. Strengthen is infinitely more useful than Boost, as it bypasses unit resets and retains the Strengthen even in the GY or picked up from the board. Units that Strengthen by 2 and 3 just shouldn't be in the game.

Suggestion: Make a neutral card called Bear Trap.

Last edited:
I have an idea... Forget about the bears. There not the issue. Sure there almost as good as Ywen, a gold card but hey i get drunk at work sometimes and make really shit decisions to. Lets get together and call for the shield maidens to be knocked down a peg. O and since were cutting the nutz off this deck.... kinda like we did to NG, we should keep going. Lets nerf the hell out of the Queens guard.

4RM3D;n8993270 said:

You did not just play the lore card, did you? Claiming that abilities should be logical and follow the lore. Because... well, because! So yes, it's the "simple and logical answer", but it's neither correct nor balanced.

Lol it's not just lore, they call it a siege row so the things on it have to be a few hundred meters away at the least? The bears have sniper rifles period.

Anyway, they did not listen to my suggestion once again, go figure... How balanced do you find the bear post patch? It honestly still seems like a strong card at 7 minus the added benefits but I guess its hard to gauge because of the general much needed nerf of the entire faction.

Bassario;n9087390 said:
Lol it's not just lore, they call it a siege row so the things on it have to be a few hundred meters away at the least? The bears have sniper rifles period.
This argument would have worked on closed beta as there were hardly any agile units.

Bassario;n9087390 said:
Anyway, they did not listen to my suggestion once again, go figure... How balanced do you find the bear post patch? It honestly still seems like a strong card at 7 minus the added benefits but I guess its hard to gauge because of the general much needed nerf of the entire faction.
The bear got nerfed insanely hard. Sure, it's still rather strong for bronze but deck thinning is insanely popular meta trough trash card pulls from deck so bear will hardly ever hit anyone anymore. For example, deploying Crones or Witchers only damages the first one played.

jamai36;n8993690 said:
In all seriousness it would be an interesting change to bear if it was agile and only hit units in the opposing row. The power could even be buffed a bit to compensate. It would add some much needed depth to the card.

I support this

MrRagdoll;n9087630 said:
This argument would have worked on closed beta as there were hardly any agile units.

Lol, what are you talking about?? You dont seem to be able to understand the English there. The illogical reality that a bears ability to attack you from hundreds of meters away is broken and that statement does not rely in any way shape or form on how many agile units there once were or weren't...

Furthermore, I think the bear got nerfed very accurately this time. This is not hearthstone, things dont get nerfed "insanely" they are very cautious and willing to repair their mistakes.

Bassario;n9111090 said:
Lol, what are you talking about?? You dont seem to be able to understand the English there. The illogical reality that a bears ability to attack you from hundreds of meters away is broken and that statement does not rely in any way shape or form on how many agile units there once were or weren't...

Furthermore, I think the bear got nerfed very accurately this time. This is not hearthstone, things dont get nerfed "insanely" they are very cautious and willing to repair their mistakes.

Yeah, because dragon slaying Reaver Hunter armed with axe makes sense on siege range.

MrRagdoll;n9111820 said:
Yeah, because dragon slaying Reaver Hunter armed with axe makes sense on siege range.

Lore wise, they did use nets, hooks, and light seige style equipment to bring down large flying creatures and then finish with the axe. The siege row really isn't that much of a strech

Arjohnson3;n9112450 said:
Lore wise, they did use nets, hooks, and light seige style equipment to bring down large flying creatures and then finish with the axe. The siege row really isn't that much of a strech
Then how about Temerian Infantryman :D

I think you are exaggerating a little. The logical way is not necessarily the correct way. I mean, why do you assume it should be logical? How can Zoltan Chivay move a Longship to the melee row (a few hundred meters, as you said). Is that logical? I've never played Witcher and I don't know anything about the lore, but I doubt he can do that.

Yen opens a portal in the sky just above a trebuchet. Bunch of guys bang pots and pans / wave torches and the drive bear into the portal. Really pissed off bear falls out of the sky, lands on trebuchet. Chaos ensues. Dandelion writes a ballad called "Fall of the Bear". Zoltan laughs his ass off.

Viola: lore friendly.

:p

Remember Mass Spamming Siege Bears in Witcher 3?

Ahh, the nostalgia Gwent brings back. I loved mindlessly spawning bears; was def my favorite.

This game is so incredibly close to the Witcher 3, the bears are even restricted to the melee row!

Whats that? There were bears on the siege row? Odd, didn't know bears had siege weaponry...

How'd they get to that row? Whats that? Row types are meaningless? Attack type is meaningless?

Ahh, nostalgia; just like the Witcher 3.

Top Bottom