The driving

+
I've seen all kinds of driving systems over the years (that really made me sound a lot older than I really am), and while the fancier ones are (a lot of) fun, they're not needed for a good experience IMO. Basic will do.

(I just hope there won't be mandatory manual transmission. Never did get the hang of that in games. :p )

I've seen all kinds of driving systems over the years (that really made me sound a lot older than I really am), and while the fancier ones are (a lot of) fun, they're not needed for a good experience IMO. Basic will do.

(I just hope there won't be mandatory manual transmission. Never did get the hang of that in games. :p )
Ahhh. The grind it 'til you find school of driving. The mechanic's dream driver.

Ahhh. The grind it 'til you find school of driving. The mechanic's dream driver.
Continuously variable transmission has essentially made manual obsolete now, when you back that up with decades of advancements who's operations are then aided by an AI in your car (like the one we know is in the game), manual transmission makes absolutely no sense. Making some ludites happy < Adding additional effort to program up an anachronistic mechanism which most players will just find frustrating.

Continuously variable transmission has essentially made manual obsolete now, when you back that up with decades of advancements who's operations are then aided by an AI in your car (like the one we know is in the game), manual transmission makes absolutely no sense. Making some ludites happy < Adding additional effort to program up an anachronistic mechanism which most players will just find frustrating.
Yeah, but when the sovs finally set off that EMP sunk in the bay, anyone with a 1970s or early vehicle will think PrimeDay has come early.

Yeah, but when the sovs finally set off that EMP sunk in the bay, anyone with a 1970s or early vehicle will think PrimeDay has come early.
If they haven't advanced EMP shielding to the point where it is nearly ubiquitous the 4 people who have a 100+ year old car in functioning condition probably have bigger things to worry about than being smug over having a working whip.

This is NC. The chances that you have the money for bus fare is going to be pretty low, never mind enough to buy a vehicle. Unless maybe you have the skill to steal a car, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
You're referring to the PnP right?

Because in 2077, the player will have access to their own motorcycle and car in the game, as well as being able to steal vehicles.

You're referring to the PnP right?

Because in 2077, the player will have access to their own motorcycle and car in the game, as well as being able to steal vehicles.
I'm not sure what he's referring to, in the PnP's character creation you can start with at least a basic vehicle.

I'm not sure what he's referring to, in the PnP's character creation you can start with at least a basic vehicle.

Didn't know that. Well, in that case, seems perfectly legitimate to me.

Not to mention we don't know exactly how long V has been in NC, nor how successful they've been up till this point.

This is theoretically true, but it depends on how well you roll your character. Most of mine could barely afford a coffin hotel and shoes.

This is theoretically true, but it depends on how well you roll your character. Most of mine could barely afford a coffin hotel and shoes.
Is rolling for backgrounds and such mandatory? I seem to remember the book said you can choose or roll, like you can in D&D. At least, for background stuff, stats and whatnot are another story and I didn't look into that as much.

Is rolling for backgrounds and such mandatory? I seem to remember the book said you can choose or roll, like you can in D&D. At least, for background stuff, stats and whatnot are another story and I didn't look into that as much.
As far as the money goes it isn't just a roll, each character role (solo, netrunner, techie, etc) has a "career skill" which you purchase points in during character creation along with your other stats/skills. Then you get a monthly salary determined by your career skill (more pays better), finally you roll to determine how many months of starting salary you get. I don't think I've ever seen a starting character with less than a thousand or two, and starting with a determined number of months instead of rolling is a pretty common house rule.

As far as the money goes it isn't just a roll, each character role (solo, netrunner, techie, etc) has a "career skill" which you purchase points in during character creation along with your other stats/skills. Then you get a monthly salary determined by your career skill (more pays better), finally you roll to determine how many months of starting salary you get. I don't think I've ever seen a starting character with less than a thousand or two, and starting with a determined number of months instead of rolling is a pretty common house rule.
Ah, alright, thanks for the clarification.

You could choose backgrounds, but when it came to your past you roll for annual life events (1 for every year older than 16). Also your starting funds are based on your skill in your special ability multiplied by 1 or 2 (months of employment). Then you rolled a die and on 4+ you're unemployed, meaning no more moneys until your character started earning in game. You usually couldn't afford a vehicle and clothes and weapons and cyberware. You had to choose carefully.

Doubt the driving will be bad (hard to do a bad one, unless you really don't care about it), the most important thing is how the world and yourself react to it, collision, physics, etc...
It it's well handled, it could be actually pretty fun (and allow for vehicule based scenes, like chase, pursuits, escape, etc...) that could add to the diversity of the experience (cars are there, why not exploit them?), I bet for some underground races or stuff like that (even some destruction derby style, etc... If the cars are well destructive... Imagine a mission where you'd have to wreck your boss car that way, could be hella fun), it's not a "racing" game, so they don't need to pull out an over the top driving system, but something fluid and well made may gives opportunity to have fun with it in a lots of different way (using a rolling car as a shield, like in Predator's 2 opening?), it's not really the driving system which is important IMO, but what you can achieve with it (gameplay wise) that would make the experience richer (like, being able to call your car from a distance, planning an escape, etc...).

You could choose backgrounds, but when it came to your past you roll for annual life events (1 for every year older than 16). Also your starting funds are based on your skill in your special ability multiplied by 1 or 2 (months of employment). Then you rolled a die and on 4+ you're unemployed, meaning no more moneys until your character started earning in game. You usually couldn't afford a vehicle and clothes and weapons and cyberware. You had to choose carefully.
And that was always "half the fun".
The whole point of CP2020 was you were living on the edge, and that applied to your income too, the edge of solvency. It wasn't till you started actively playing your character that you'd usually earn some real money.

And that was always "half the fun".
The whole point of CP2020 was you were living on the edge, and that applied to your income too, the edge of solvency. It wasn't till you started actively playing your character that you'd usually earn some real money.
I also enjoyed the fact that even though you were earning it wasn't usually enough to do everything you wanted with your character. I played in a few D&D games where the DM was overly generous to players with treasure just to keep them interested. It's very dull to play a character with bags of GP and EP. It's one of the reasons I switched to Harn afterwards.

It's one of the reasons I switched to Harn afterwards.
I've been running a Harn (modified) campaign for over 30 years now (still have a couple original players).

And if you have issues with Harns magic or divine miracle systems don't blame me, Cal, or Greg, we all told them there were issues years ago :rolleyes:

I've been running a Harn (modified) campaign for over 30 years now (still have a couple original players).

And if you have issues with Harns magic or divine miracle systems don't blame me, Cal, or Greg, we all told them there were issues years ago :rolleyes:
Oooh no. You're not leading me down that rabbit hole. ;)

But if you guys look at games like sleeping dogs and gta V they arent racing games but you can have a lot of fun in those games messing around with cars and bikes doing amazing stunts and think on major about the Witcher 3 and most open world games is that travelling from point A to B is so boring so everyone just fast travels everywhere so making driving the world more vehicle friendly would improve it a lot.

But if you guys look at games like sleeping dogs and gta V they arent racing games but you can have a lot of fun in those games messing around with cars and bikes doing amazing stunts and think on major about the Witcher 3 and most open world games is that travelling from point A to B is so boring so everyone just fast travels everywhere so making driving the world more vehicle friendly would improve it a lot.
Traveling from point A to point B in the Witcher 3 was fun for me.

Top Bottom