The little things...

+
Oh darn, no working shower! Dues ex had that nearly 15 years ago. You just turned the tap in your apartment, no big deal.
Oh darn. no eating food! Many games had that for years. completely ruined the games though.
Oh darn, no sitting down on furniture in a night club or something, yeah that ruined skyrim when you could sit down at the pub.
Oh darn, no smoking cigs, that would not add character at all.

Yeah these things are just too little, they belong in some kind of thread called "The little things" or something.

Required sleeping might a cool mechanic, though, because it would figure into you performing badly in combat or other tasks, and make time management a legitimate concern in the game. I am not strictly against required sleeping.

I would like to sit in a bar and have a shot or a beer. Spring for a fine meal after a successful mission. I do miss having to keep food and drink around. No stat bumps from food though. Stat boosts from drugs, okay. Expensive, highly addictive drugs.

Oh darn, no working shower! Dues ex had that nearly 15 years ago. You just turned the tap in your apartment, no big deal.
Oh darn. no eating food! Many games had that for years. completely ruined the games though.
Oh darn, no sitting down on furniture in a night club or something, yeah that ruined skyrim when you could sit down at the pub.
Oh darn, no smoking cigs, that would not add character at all.

Yeah these things are just too little, they belong in some kind of thread called "The little things" or something.

You're jumping to conclusions again.I have no idea whether these are going to be in the game or not. What I do object to is people saying that they WILL be there, and that anyone who DOESN'T want them shouldn't be playing this game.

Oh, and by the way, to answer one of your earlier questions, TW1 had both drug-taking and getting drunk. And no, we don't permit posts that advocate substance abuse.

Just thinking how cool it would be to play a drug addicted rock star in 77...but the shit storm this would kick up with the people who have made a carear out of crying over freedom of choice like Jack Thomson..that would sux.

The littles things that are mentioned in this thread are really important to me. These are the things that separate a run and gun game from a RPG.

The most important things for me on this subject..
Eating and drinking, sitting down on chairs, sofas and beds with linked sleep mechanic and smokeing..please CDPR consider these options. :)

here is a pic of hoe farcry 2 did its sleep mechanic. when you approach the bed your watch would come up and you select how many hrs you wanted to sleep, then it would do a time laps cut scene outside showing the sun set or rise before cutting back to your character awake. it is a brillant sleep mechanic.

And if I wanted to experience eating, drinking, pissing, buying shares, furnishing a home, sleeping, I wouldn't pay $60 for a video game, I'd just walk away from the computer.
Valid point. As I said though, I'm not after "Sims-punk". Just another layer of realism for the same reasons that we want a realistic inventory carrying system. The same reason we enjoy realistic weapon control and effects. The same reason we don't want instant healing or immediate health regen. The same reasons many of the threads in this forum have been started.

How does "style over substance" equate to "real life simulator"? Again, people are reading things that are not said. I don't see anything remotely stylish about watching an avatar eat. If anything, I interpret the type of requests made here as substance over style.

As slim said, these mechanics can rapidly turn into annoying content filler. I don't want a game sold as 100 hours of content where 20 hours of those are spent performing mundane everyday activities, even if they are optional. I remember games like Wizardry where you had sleeping that took real-world time, and even though it was trivial time, it got boring very, very fast.

CDPR isn't a huge monolithic developer, and if you read any of the articles about their company, or their plans, or have any knowledge of the games they develop, you'll know that they don't intend or WANT to become a huge monolithic developer, so time spent producing animation for your player to do all of this "filler" is time NOT spent on developing a game. A game. Something that contains challenges, is competitive, where you achieve success or failure. Not Second Life.
Style over Substance doesn't equate a "Life Sim". "Not knowing where your next meal is coming from" is a common phrase used in 2020. For me it is an integral part of the Cyberpunk ethos. If we can't eat or sleep, then there is little point having a safehouse and we may as well just have a locker in a bus station. For me, it's all part of the style and part of getting inside the character. That's a big part of why I love RPG's and I am not bothered by FPS's that much.

I can't argue that the features I, (and others,) are really interested in seeing CAN become monotenous and even soul-crushing. That is because they were handled badly. They are tied to the speed at which time moves in the game, so if 24 hours in the game passes in an hour in real life, these things will become tedious fast. However, if 24 hours of game time passes in 12 hours, these things become much more manageable. You would probably only do them once during even a really long session.

And it's not as if I am asking for animations like eating a 3 course meals a bite at a time. I'm hoping for simple stuff like putting a chocolate bar in your mouth or moving chopsticks from a noodle box to your mouth. I don't imagine these animations are very different from Geralt having a drink.

I see no correlation there. Has nothing to do with holidays, just a mechanic that allows the player to control the time of day to enhance gameplay with the allowance of speeding up to a desired time for the executions of certain missions. Or to simply use the cover of darkness to raid the next camp.

Yeah, that's what some holiday modes do. They are still called "holiday" because they are easter eggs but they also deal with time

No thank you. CDPR makes their games around STORY using their great writing skills (among many). Keeping details like suggested in this thread would only hurt the flow and progress of the story that CDPR's writers are cooking up and such mechanics would soon make the game tedious.

things like this dont hurt the flow and progress of the story.......they are LITTLE things not big things...

things like this dont hurt the flow and progress of the story.......they are LITTLE things not big things...

But they become repetitive and make the whole thing tedious after some very short time. So I will gladly avoid them if it's possible, as they don't bring anything meaningful to the story either.

But they become repetitive and make the whole thing tedious after some very short time. So I will gladly avoid them if it's possible, as they don't bring anything meaningful to the story either.

Like i've said, there should be an option for turning on and off. If you enjoy it, use it. If it got annoying, shut it down.

In this mode (again lets call it the "Realism Mode"):

When you activate it (You activate it from the main menu), you have to eat ever 12 hours, drink water every 6 hours, sleep every 22 hours, no infinite fuel in cars, ,f you get shot you will be in pain and so on. If you ignore it, there should be penalties for it. Showing the symptoms of being tired, getting hungry, thirsty, getting exhausted and being in pain. (Showing the symptoms as stat and skill penalties. You wont be as capable as you normally would be.) And eventually you will pass out. Depending on where you pass out, you will either find yourself in a hospital or you will die.

It seems there are effectivly two 'camps' here:

On the one hand, you have the guys who are more interested in the story, (Gregski being an obvious example,) and on the other you have the guys more interested in the 'experience'.

I reckon the whole thing can be resolved with game modes. Tie the level of realism to 'difficulty'. Rather than the usual tougher enemies and minigames, make the actual gameplay tougher, or make them both tougher.

There also seem to be two camps regarding whether or not these are "little things". If these are just background noise, adding some degree of realism, then yes, they may be describable as "little things", but suggestions like

"If they don't sleep, should they be penalised in some way"
"Forcing us, and our companions to get a little shut eye would provide another layer of immersion"
"Yet I only remember STALKER requiring your character to eat, (though I may be wrong.) These days, food is looked at as some sort of buff or healing mechanic. I think that sucks balls"
"Long time without eating and sleeping should result in skill and stat penalties."
"some effects of beeing sleepless would also be nice"

all of which were on the first page, are big things. It's a big thing when you need to spend 10 seconds watching some animation of someone going to sleep for the 100th time. It's a big thing when you're forced to go looking for food when you want to carry out missions. So are you guys talking about little things, or dirty great game-changing mechanisms?

Top Bottom