The main story will take around 30 hours to finish

+
im not sure if this has been pointed out ,but i have read the gamespot preview and they said that they just did the pacifica quest which was shown in last years E3 and it was mentioned that its in the middle part of the main story ,so i will assume that it took them around 16 hours to reach it which means the main story is going to be around 30 hours i guess?
one important thing to keep in mind is that the previewer did "little side quests" he focused mainly on the main story
Good or bad its up to you ,i hope that the real meat of the game is in the side quest ,similar to Baldurs gate 2 where the main story is short and good but the side quests are ALOT ,varied and incredibly well designed

Gamespot preview: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/w...nd-the-best-part-was-the-people/1100-6484603/

30 hours is fine, but the real question the player should be able to ask, is ”What kind of ending do I get, if I finish the main story in 5min/5h/15h/30h/[insert time], since X amount of stuff has had time to occur/get done?”

Well see once we get a less speculative estimate, but yeah 30 hours for a just mainquest playthrough sounds reasonable to me.

Vronos

Forum regular
I have heard estimates closer to 25 hours but either way, how would this compare to The Witcher 3’s? I never timed myself, I just know that I spent many, many hours in that world exploring every nook and cranny. I know CDPR said CP’s would be shorter than TW’s but how long was that one actually? 50? 40?

Meh,.. Skyrim and Fallout 4 main stories were around 30 hours but there's so much "other" to do that you can spend 100's of hours in them. I expect this will be the same situation. Some people do only play for story and some enjoy the rush to be FIRST! in completing games... However, it'll probably take me 30 hours just to create a character and get through the intro story as I play slow and screw around a lot. Hell, W3 took me like 40 hours before I even left the first tutorial map area.

I just watched the photo mode video they just put out...it is gonna take a while to finish those 30 hours

It's a weird world that would not accept a 30h game let alone a 30h story sans side content. Than again I am the type of guy who does not mind less than 10 if a game is particularly engrossing and uses the time well.

This.

A lot of open world games are padded with boring filler because the size of a game world or the length of time it takes to complete it are major selling points, even though they shouldn't be. Quality > quantity, but a lot of gamers don't seem to realize that.

This.

A lot of open world games are padded with boring filler because the size of a game world or the length of time it takes to complete it are major selling points, even though they shouldn't be. Quality > quantity, but a lot of gamers don't seem to realize that.

Add the side quests also.
And add the fact you can play it with 3different lifepath (and so different branches available).

You have 100hours, maybe more.

The game doesn't need to be long, but fun enough for you to want to come back to it.

Last edited:
I hope it will be super long because a game like this one I do not think we can find for a very long time maybe not even before ten years, 30 hours seems light to me I hope that it 'It is limited to the rush, so yes we are only talking about the main quest ... for my part I intend to return every square centimeter of the game, and I really hope that the replayability will have a serious variant, the main quest included, of course I also hope that there will be a lot of DLC, even if those there are sold it would not be a problem for me, you imagine the possibility of DLC? On a game based like a paper role-playing game there is no limit to the imagination!

I hope it will be super long because a game like this one I do not think we can find for a very long time maybe not even before ten years, 30 hours seems light to me I hope that it 'It is limited to the rush, so yes we are only talking about the main quest ... for my part I intend to return every square centimeter of the game, and I really hope that the replayability will have a serious variant, the main quest included, of course I also hope that there will be a lot of DLC, even if those there are sold it would not be a problem for me, you imagine the possibility of DLC? On a game based like a paper role-playing game there is no limit to the imagination!

30 hours seems fairly standard for the critical path of an RPG these days.

Obviously a lot more hours can be spent in an RPG but that is because most players do side quests or other activities that extend the total length of the game.

im all for replay value but i just hope it does not come at the expense of the first playthrough they did that mistake in the witcher 2 till this very day it remains my least favorite witcher game mainly because it does not feel like a complete experience unlike the other games
Post automatically merged:

Add the side quests also.
And add the fact you can play it with 3different lifepath (and so different branches available).

You have 100hours, maybe more.

The game doesn't need to be long, but fun enough for you to want to come back to it.
the QA tester clocked in around 175 hours and he still did not finish the game i doubt he would put this on twitter if there are not going to be that many things to do in the main game

Last edited:
How long was the critical path in The Witcher 3? I'm a bit of a completionist so I clocked in many more hours than whatever that was.

The devs have stated that Cyberpunk 2077 will have a shorter critical path than TW3.
I don't really know, havent even finished Witcher 3 because of lack of time. Just heard the rumors.
P.S.:Finished now, yay. Takes around 50hrs. May be shorter if you rush through the game

Last edited:
The devs have stated that Cyberpunk 2077 will have a shorter critical path than TW3.

I think they wanted to give it a "Hitman" twist.

The premise and the goal are the same (you starting from nothing > getting johnny out of your head) // (getting on destination> killing your target)

But in between so many thing can change depending what you do that the story can be a bit longer or shorter.

So yeah, the main story may be shorter, but it'll push us to grind it more to see every différent direction it can take.

Soul Reaver was what... Maybe 20 hours at best to roll it up, but it's one of the best game I've played to this date and I happily jump back to it from time to time.
Let's hope Cyberpunk is one of those game.

Top Bottom