The (Open) Game World Discussion!

+
I understand that, but there's at least one other map (not sure if it's even from an official source) seems to contradict it. In which case Cyberpunk 2020 is like any other fictional setting where creators often make continuity errors.

Though, I have to admit, reading about Night City in detail makes me want to consider the real life Morro Bay area more. As cool as the descriptions were in the RPG.net thread I linked to, I think the idea of creating a whole new city- a whole new culture- a whole new economy out of a backwater coast is cool. Taking one bit of California frontier, and turning it into a cyberpunk urban hellscape.

So fine, maybe I'll be a convert to the west-of-SLO Night City setting.
First off, that's not an official map from a canon source. All of the canon sources show Night City to be south of Monterey. As such it can't be in Monterey Bay. By contrast, Morro Bay is too far south. San Luis Obispo is on Morro Bay, and is much farther south of Night City than Monterey is north of it. According to the California map in the Night Cit Sourcebook, on page 13, Night City is about one third of the way between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. However, the only bay between Monterey Bay and Morrow Bay is Carmel Bay, which is not even half of that distance south of Monterey.

Carmel Bay seems tiny, though.
Yes, but the shape is just about right. Not only that, but if you look at the map of the Night City area freeways on page 14 of the Night City Surcebookthe ttwo fictional bays are small. If you look at the map of Carmel Bay, you'll not that right in the middle of the bay is Carmel Point, which, while not exactly the same shape, does match the position of where South Night Cit is located on the map in the NCSB on page 14.

Last edited:
I believe CP2020 presumes global warming, thus polar ice melt, thus rising sea levels.
I wouldn't expect the coastline to be the same.

I believe CP2020 presumes global warming, thus polar ice melt, thus rising sea levels.
I wouldn't expect the coastline to be the same.
Nor would I. However, while the specific shapes of the coves and bays may be altered somewhat by rising or lowering seas, their names and locations wouldn't, and the alterations wouldn't be that significant, especially given when Night City was supposed to have been built. The book even says that the bay in question had been dredged in 1999 to make it deeper; so it was an existing bay. And, as I mentioned before, Del Corronado is an island much further south, by San Diego.

Nor would I. However, while the specific shapes of the coves and bays may be altered somewhat by rising or lowering seas, their names and locations wouldn't, and the alterations wouldn't be that significant, especially given when Night City was supposed to have been built. The book even says that the bay in question had been dredged in 1999 to make it deeper; so it was an existing bay. And, as I mentioned before, Del Corronado is an island much further south, by San Diego.

While I haven't studied the map I am familiar with Del Corronado Island, and yeah it's definitely by San Diego.
Maybe this time they'll pay closer attention to geography.

Biting off more than we can chew again, eh CDPR? Probably hyperbole tbh.

They have more developers right now and a lot of experience after Witcher 3 development + Cyberpunk is much more complex than Witcher franchise in terms of gameplay systems/mechanics etc so ofc C2077 will be "bigger" than Witcher 3. :p

Not necessarily a good thing (CP being bigger than W3). Witcher 3 already had problems sustaining its size and keeping things varied and interesting throughout the experience (still haven't been able to finish it due to repetition induced boredom).

I had hoped they'd leave the size in the background and focus more on the actual meat of the game; richer (far, far richer) array of systemic and narrative gameplay opportunities and less pompous dick measuring.

"Bigger" is vague. Do they mean map size, dialogue, story options, quantity of quests, length of quests, combat systems/options, minigames? Or all the above?

And this is assuming they don't scale back on this ambitious scope when crunch time hits.

Not necessarily a good thing (CP being bigger than W3). Witcher 3 already had problems sustaining its size and keeping things varied and interesting throughout the experience (still haven't been able to finish it due to repetition induced boredom).

I had hoped they'd leave the size in the background and focus more on the actual meat of the game; richer (far, far richer) array of systemic and narrative gameplay opportunities and less pompous dick measuring.

"Bigger" can mean everything

"Bigger" can mean everything

Yes it can, that's why it is a bit worrisome boast.

One has to ask, what actually needs to be bigger anymore for any concievable benefit (and what drawbacks come with it).

Would it actually be more beneficial to start refining what has been achieved (the technicalities, however much that can be applied between unrelated products), rather than piling the tower ever higher.

Last edited:
Yes it can, that's why it is a bit worrisome boast.

One has to ask, what actually needs to be bigger anymore for any concievable benefit (and what drawbacks come with it).

Yes. I'd love it to be bigger as long as they can maintain or exceed the quality of W3 and avoid the mistake of a half-baked third act.

Sometimes you have to make something bigger - like airports must expand to handle projected passenger traffic (look at Dubai and Istanbul).

But making something 'bigger' in and of itself merely for the sake of size isn't a compelling reason.

I hope they succeed. Just remember that "bigger ain't always better".

Well, I want a good story, and being bigger is more of an obstacle than help in regard to a well thought-out plot. More people to employ, more disconnect between them. Also I don't like megalomania in games because practically always it is just a dick-sizing contest. We'll see how it'll turn out for CDPR.

instead of just making the world bigger cdpr should also invest more resources into the basics
so better combat, movement, enemy behaviour, animations.. that sort of stuff

i know so many people who tell me they love witcher 3 "despite" it's combat

it doesn't have to be like this

Top Bottom