The Over-40 Hang-out

+
@ CND_LION_HEARTED it ok my English nto so good too :Dand it my native langue :DWell being you got Vista as a OS it mite have a lot to do with it you could ask in the In game Tech part of the forum and see if anyone's has the same trouble What you can do is just start over or go to the Story/Quest part of the forum in the Save market topic and maybe someone there mite have the same save as you have Sorry I cant be of more help Vista a bit over my head BTW Simon Brooke veary funny :D

CNDLIONHEARTED said:
CNDLIONHEARTED said:
The Witcher used to be my favorite game, then I discovered an even better one. No, it's not available commercially. Yes, I still adore The Witcher. But as it turns out, MAKING games is the best game of all! ;)
So tell me then, what game are you into now which is not commercially available, and is much better than The Witcher? Please try to be . . . Well, after all this is a public posting {;o)
I DID tell you -- it's right there in that last line: Making games is the best game of all!

Still not getting the making the game part . . . have become a bit slower these days . . . you might have to draw me a map and a few pics before I get what is going on. For the past few days I have been feeling a bit "hillbillyish" if you know what I mean. So if you don't mind helping me out here, I'd be forever in you debt. :teeth:

CNDLIONHEARTED said:
Still not getting the making the game part . . . have become a bit slower these days . . . you might have to draw me a map and a few pics before I get what is going on. For the past few days I have been feeling a bit "hillbillyish" if you know what I mean. So if you don't mind helping me out here, I'd be forever in you debt. :teeth:
Well if your feeling a bit hillbilyish then will put it to you this way :DRather then drinking the corn luquer she having more fun making the still that make the Corn luqer ;)

It looks like I talk about sex enough that I become incomprehensible when I talk about anything else. I guess I'd better just keep quiet, then. :D

Well, I think I did a bad thing, or a good thing . . . I'm not so sure. I got tired of not being able to get any where with the game as it stood . . . sooooooo, I reinstalled everything and started over. Now I have noticed something else, and just wondered . . . is every thing suppose to look so . . . hazy? And yes I installed everything correctly and without interruptions. See I bought a new LCD screen, my old one of ten years was starting to retain information, (I was working on some pictures for my wife about my wife and her friends and went to play another game and low and behold . . . strange things happened, guns poked out of strange places :whistle:). This new screen is far more capable of higher resolutions than the older one and my video card is quite capable of giving putting out these new settings so, of course I use these new settings. I expected to find the game to be clear and pretty and so on, but nooooooo . . . its a bit hazy. Just wondering if I should get my self a new pair of glasses or something? Reason for my asking here is because I know I'd get an answer here far quicker than over at the tech area . . . and they call us old farts slow :eek:

CNDLIONHEARTED said:
Well, I think I did a bad thing, or a good thing . . . I'm not so sure. I got tired of not being able to get any where with the game as it stood . . . sooooooo, I reinstalled everything and started over. Now I have noticed something else, and just wondered . . . is every thing suppose to look so . . . hazy? And yes I installed everything correctly and without interruptions. See I bought a new LCD screen, my old one of ten years was starting to retain information, (I was working on some pictures for my wife about my wife and her friends and went to play another game and low and behold . . . strange things happened, guns poked out of strange places :whistle:). This new screen is far more capable of higher resolutions than the older one and my video card is quite capable of giving putting out these new settings so, of course I use these new settings. I expected to find the game to be clear and pretty and so on, but nooooooo . . . its a bit hazy. Just wondering if I should get my self a new pair of glasses or something? Reason for my asking here is because I know I'd get an answer here far quicker than over at the tech area . . . and they call us old farts slow :eek:
There's a setting in 'Advanced settings' called 'Depth of Field'. If you turn this on, then the foreground and the background will be blurred, but the character you're talking to should be sharp. If you turn it off, everything should be sharp. Of course, weather effects (including atmospheric haze) also make the picture appear less sharp.

Hi. I just managed to install the game successfully and played a bit of the intro. Since I'm over 40, I thought it apt to post in here. :)

Okay I get the one about Depth of field . . . that I understand, but why it works the way it does . . . who knows I just thought it would give a more " 3D" effect, not make it look like a bunch of smokers just left the room, LOL. The other one about the EAX issue, I was told by some one for anther game (ah yes the shame of it all . . . I have other games . . . *sigh*) because I have Creative Lab's Sound Blaster X - Fi FaTa1Ty Edition sound card I can throw the idea of using EAX out the window because something in the software does it automatically or something like that, and since then doesn't matter what game . . . okay I admit it I have several other games besides Witcher, which have EAX as an option doesn't seem to work, but my surround sound system when the THX is activated it works . . . so, I have no idea.I just know all my drivers are up to date for the sound card and everything sounds great . . . I think, but I can't be sure, crap I'm so confused now . . . HELP! :dead:

This use to be a very active place to come and see who has been here and who left their mark, and now . . . NO BODY! One could come here and leave a message asking how every one's week went or how this or that went, and now . . . silence, its almost as if everyone got sucked into some kind of eddy in cyberspace and whisked away, *sigh*. I sure hope everyone is just do'en okay and are still keep'en a smile on! Hope you all had a good week / weekend!

Good morning CND_LION_HEARTED :wave:*ahem* you hit the nail on the head. It's getting a bit silent here. I have to confess I used to be more active in this thread as well but during the past weeks I neglected my presence here :angel: But I can't tell you why though I read every new reply.Yes I had a good weekend... I mean :hmmm: ... most of the time I spent it with (a first part of) spring cleaning, which isn't in the sake of how to spend a weekend. But on the other hand I'm glad this RL quest is halfway finished. I hope I will like the reward when everything is completed ;D

we're not /all/ gone, but as Petra Silie also said, a lot of the threads are far less active than they once were .. too bad really, it was a fun bunch :wave:

gamewidow said:
we're not /all/ gone, but as Petra Silie also said, a lot of the threads are far less active than they once were .. too bad really, it was a fun bunch :wave:
It "was" a fun bunch??? It can be again can it not? :-\

I think there's kind of a "life-cycle" of people's participation on the forum. There's having just discovered The Witcher and wanting to talk about how COOL it is. There's having noticed some of the less obvious bits and wanting to know if other people have noticed them, too. There's thinking about the game and about what various bits and pieces might mean.After awhile, topics start to recycle. A new crop of people come aboard, and they want to talk about things one has already talked about. Sex and censorship? Talked about that. How cool the opening movie is? Talked about that. What makes this game special? Talked about that. Things to make sure to experience on one's second play-through? Talked about that. Put in time helping newbies with The Beast or the Kickimore Queen or finding the last mirror shard? Did that.And after awhile, it seems as if there are no new topics on the forum, because while new ones are still being started, they're topics that one has already talked about, sometimes more than once. I, personally, have started a lot of "Hey, have you ever thought about the implications of X aspect of The Witcher" threads, but most of the things I've thought about, I've started topics for already. It's worth sticking around for the people, except that a lot of the people I met here when I was new are in the same phase of their Witcher forum life-cycle as I am. We've all discussed the usual topics. I don't want to drag down the enthusiasm of NEW members of the forum by saying, "Yeah, we talked about that already, except that Trughbull's take on the matter was a lot more interesting than yours" or "Yeah, that's been discussed to death; I think Simon Brooke wrote the definitive piece on that topic." That would be mean. So I mostly don't even read the new topics anymore.It's also true that I STILL don't like the collapse of the forum and find it less interesting to browse than I used to.BUT, I've devoted much of the last five months to working with other forum members on a new module for The Witcher, so it certainly can't be said that we don't care anymore; our caring has just taken a different form, these days. If/when The Witcher 2 comes out, I imagine you'll see a revival in the interest of the longer-term forum members.

I don't think we should point out to new members that their "new" topic or arguement has already talked. Sure it has but that time they weren't here. They have just discovered this game now and their enthusiasm is fresh now, they want to share it. Me and you and all "veterans" know this already. If we welcome a new member with "this is an old hat, it scares them off. For us it's a repeat. But nevertheless our Thewichter.com world needs fresh meat in regard of game news.

PetraSilie said:
I don't think we should point out to new members that their "new" topic or arguement has already talked. Sure it has but that time they weren't here. They have just discovered this game now and their enthusiasm is fresh now, they want to share it. Me and you and all "veterans" know this already. If we welcome a new member with "this is an old hat, it scares them off. For us it's a repeat. But nevertheless our Thewichter.com world needs fresh meat in regard of game news.
Yes, Petra, I agree -- that's what I was saying!

Top Bottom