The Witcher 3 Has suddenly begun lagging

+
The Witcher 3 Has suddenly begun lagging

So this recent Windows 10 update made all my other games lag as if my hardware was on fire. Before the update happend, everything ran like a knife through butter. And this annoyed me,so i unistalled Win10 and reinstalled Win7 64, The installation went perfect. Thanksfully i was able to figure out why that was the case (game settings) However, despite all my technical effort, The Witcher 3 still keeps on lagging. I remember disabling GOG overlay which i believe to have caused the game to missing the intro and going straight to the main menu. Reinstalling The Witcher 3 hasn't changed anything. The menu and the loading screen runs perfect. Once it is about to load the ingame it will start to slow down. Like i said there were no performance problem with The Witcher 3 prior to the update. I played it at 60 fps with a mix of medium-high stettings. Now it's not really "lagging" it is more like as if the game is drunk and slow like slowmotion. Since Reinstalling doesn't work will i have to rebuy The Witcher 3? This update must have changed something. Perhaps an unkown setting? Missing driver? Registry? Should i reinstall Win10?

Here's what i have tried;

-Changing the graphic options to no avail
-Changing the 3D options in Nvidia Control Panel
-Changing the user.stettings
-Deleting user.bak
-Verify/Repair
-Reinstalled Witcher 3 multiple times
-Reinstalled two different nvidia drivers in safemode (August and latest)
-Unistalling/Reinstalling Graphic Card Driver at device manager in safemode
-Set it to run Witcher 3 in high priority
-Set it to run Witcher 3 in Win7 compatibility
-Set The Witcher 3 to run with dedicated graphic card
-Enabled/Disable CPU cores usage
https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36h3vx/having_performance_issues_with_witcher_3_read_this/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/365163686063617736/
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...0-sudden-massive-fps-drops-performance-issues

Drivers:
Microsoft NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft NET Framework 4.6.1
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 64&86 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 64&86 11.0.61030.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 64&86 12.0.21005.1
Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 64&86 14.0.23918.0
Microsoft Visual #J.NET Redistribuable 1.1.4322
MSI motherboard drivers: CC/FB/LU/RD/SC/USB/Register/NG
RealTek HD Audio Driver & Ethernet Controller Driver
Nvidia 3D Vision Controller Driver 369.04
Nvidia 3D Vision Driver 385.41
Nvidia Graphics Driver 385.41
Nvidia HD Audio Driver 1.3.34.27
DirectX 11

Desktop Specs:
I5 6600K 3.50 GHZ 4 CPUs
Motherboard MSI z170-a Pro
Nvidia Geforce GTX 570
PSU X600
8 GB RAM
Monitor Viewsonic VX2262 at 60 hertz (Unchangeable)

Welcome to the Forums, Greendemon123!

Greendemon123;n9626501 said:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 570

This is likely your problem. The card does not meet minimum requirements, unfortunately. :( You'll need at least a GTX 660, although I would recommend at least a 900 series to run at High-Ultra settings. I also recommend not trying to run the game any further on that card -- it's possible to cause hardware damage and/or file corruption if you push it too hard.

Thank you.

So i reinstalled windows10 64 and funnily enough it is the same as before. Anyway, what? How can my graphic card be the problem when my desktop played it smoothly? I remember booting it up the first time and had a wonderful experience with the game. Even in Novigrad only a slight lag. I played it for eight hours. I hope the update hasn't damaged my graphic card. I suppose the update has increased the requirement for the game right? But if my graphic card is the problem then why is the game like this now? It seems so strange that it's all wonderful and then the graphic card/game becomes depressed. Might you have an explanation? SigilFey

Last edited:
Greendemon123;n9633371 said:
Thank you.

So i reinstalled windows10 64 and funnily enough it is the same as before. Anyway, what? How can my graphic card be the problem when my desktop played it smoothly? I remember booting it up the first time and had a wonderful experience with the game. Even in Novigrad only a slight lag. I played it for eight hours. I hope the update hasn't damaged my graphic card. I suppose the update has increased the requirement for the game right? But if my graphic card is the problem then why is the game like this now? It seems so strange that it's all wonderful and then the graphic card/game becomes depressed. Might you have an explanation? SigilFey

I can't vouch for whatever changed on your system, but I can confirm that the card does not meet minimum specs. If you were seriously overclocking some hardware before, that could account for the sudden loss of performance. OC would not have been carried over during a Windows upgrade. I'll need to know more about your system before-and-after to be of any help there.

As a comparison, I ran the game on a GTX 670 at first, and it dropped to single-digit FPS outside of Oxenfurt and a few other locations. My GTX 980 ti only manages 48 FPS at Ultra settings; anything above that gives me 15-20 FPS fluctuation in various areas. Not sure what you were seeing before, but it was certainly not normal results. A GTX 570 should have tanked even at the lowest settings.

Where did you get the system? How long have you been running it? Have you noticed any other issues with games / programs?

Hah! it certainly is indeed a mystery why the game ran so smooth. I have no idea on how to overclock. I assume you mean the OS if so, it was originally Win7 but then i had a new motherboard installed which needed Win10. If not, then the desktop is uhh custom-builded. The OS is from Microsoft. I uhh i think the desktop has been using Win10 since 2016. No, not before. I do indeed suspect that the graphic card is indeed the culprit. If i were to buy the GTX 1080 would it fit on the z170-a pro? i wonder if it could cause a bottleneck. Now about the game-saves, if i were to remove the saves from the folder and then uninstall the game and then reinstall the game and put the saves back in the folder and continue from there, would that cause the saves to be missing textures, npc or something? I'm worried that i might miss something if i were to continue on my current save. SigilFey

Greendemon123;n9642441 said:
Hah! it certainly is indeed a mystery why the game ran so smooth.

First, we figure this out...then where Atlantis was!

I assume you mean the OS

OC = overclock, if that's what you're referring to. I'm leaning toward that being the most likely scenario if you were seeing the type of performance you were describing. Does yous system have all sorts of cooling / fans by any chance? Gaming rig?

If i were to buy the GTX 1080 would it fit on the z170-a pro? i wonder if it could cause a bottleneck.

It will work fine on the mo-bo, no worries there, and your CPU should be able to hold its own. And a 1080 should be a...noticeable upgrade. ;)

If you're looking to spend even more money, grabbing 2x 8GB gaming RAM would be something else to consider (performance-wise). I swear by Corsair, but I'm using G.Skill Ripjaws now and am just as pleased. 16 GB should set you up nicely for a few years, and the speed / latency of the RAM is worth the extra money.

Lastly, if you're not yet using an SSD, you should consider adding a 256 GB or 512 GB drive (and install Windows / games on this). It won't affect performance, but loading / installation times will be much faster.

(You should now have spent about $1,000. :p PC gaming rules...!)

Now about the game-saves, if i were to remove the saves from the folder and then uninstall the game and then reinstall the game and put the saves back in the folder and continue from there, would that cause the saves to be missing textures, npc or something? I'm worried that i might miss something if i were to continue on my current save.

The only way this would be problematic is if you are using mods or specific tweaks, then installed without those same things. (Edits to config files are fine, I'm talking graphical overhauls or model / texture replacers.) If you're playing vanilla, you can carry the saved games over without issue.

Top Bottom