The Witcher 3: Two Areas Are Over 52 Square Miles by Themselves?

+
That's one of our main goals - to fill the world with lots and lots of interesting things to do. I know that some of you may have concerns about it, but it will be awesome - don't worry:)

I for one was just surprised about the sudden change in world size. It caught me (and I think most of us) off guard.

Wait, so I'm confused. Is this a confirmation that Novigrad is really that large? I don't get it? Has the city really grown that much since the vgx trailer, because in that trailer it doesn't even look close to being bigger than the entire map of skyrim.

If it is indeed 74.25 sq km, that translates to 28.668 mi squared. With Skyrim being 14.8 mi squared, that would make Novigrad alone nearly double the area of Skyrim. That doesn't seem possible? Am I missing something?

EDIT: it was actually 72.25 sq km ---> 27.90 sq mi

Last edited:
Wait, so I'm confused. Is this a confirmation that Novigrad is really that large? I don't get it? Has the city really grown that much since the vgx trailer, because in that trailer it doesn't even look close to being bigger than the entire map of skyrim.

If it is indeed 74.25 sq km, that translates to 28.668 mi squared. With Skyrim being 14.8 mi squared, that would make Novigrad alone nearly double the area of Skyrim. That doesn't seem possible? Am I missing something?
'Novigrad' refers to the entire region, not just the city.

That sounds huge, even though the surroundings are probably counted in. (yep, see the post above)
Does anyone know how big the cities in Assassin's Creed games are (approximately)?

Last edited:
Dayum, that's crazy though, how much the world has grown. Obviously the 20% bigger than Skyrim statement doesn't hold true anymore. Was the 40 minutes to ride across the world statement made at around the same time? I wonder how long it would take now?

It's not to say that world size is everything, but this is still very exciting.

For another frame of reference, a quick search says that gta5's map is 49 sq mi

Last edited:
My thoughts are that since there are 3 years and 3 months separating the release of Skyrim and the estimated release of W3, it's therefore acceptable to say that being only 20% bigger isn't exactly as groundbreaking as one might wish, and that it makes sense to hope for something more awe-inspiring. With over 3 years separating, I think most gamers expect a much bigger improvement than "merely" 20% bigger, and maybe CDPR also wants to set a higher standard. Maybe.

Just to clarify: I realize that even a map that's 20% smaller than Skyrim's can feel better, since it all depends on what you fill the area with and how, and I know that all talk about the map turning out to be much bigger than previously announced is merely speculation, without any official confirmation.

Personally, I think you'd have to be a wizard to make something as gigantic as the calculations here are hinting at, while still keeping the top-notch quality. Not that I don't want to be proven wrong, but I'm (very) skeptical.

My expectations are that CDPR will create a world that has more density, liveliness and attention to detail than something like Skyrim, because that's what they are known for. At least that was the impression given by those who saw the E3 demo.

Who cares about that miles ? I`m more worried about content and quest that they contain. Thats really terrible when you spent hours in exactly same dungeons ,with exactly same opponents and without even knowing what you will achieve from that like in Fallout and TES series. I dont want that happens with Witcher 3 - that quantity beats quality.

I daresay I trust the devs. I do. I trust them developing a great game at least, and if they say they can't wait to share what they are doing I'll gladly wait and see. And if I'm wrong to do this I don't wanna be right. :laughing: Seriously though, I'm not a zealous fanboy(not that zealous anyway ;)), and taking news with a grain of salt, well, is always healthy. I have my salt shaker close by whenever I read the paper or academic papers. And of course these forums. Though sometimes I want some things I read to be true. These details sounds great, especially if the devs fill up the game world as they've said they'll do. It sounds like a lot of promises to make, but let's see if CDPR can back 'em up. I have faith, and wasn't disappointed with the last two games, and I doubt Witcher 3 will disappoint me either. I never tried throwing bombs through windows in Witcher 2 but it won't bother me if I can't(guess I'll try on my next playthrough). I guess some things are bound to change under development. Regarding no loading screens in Witcher 2, well, it was true with some doors, but not all of them. If the screen fading to black for a short(very short) while is to be considered a loading screen is up for discussion.

Another thing, whenever I see the word mile used in english, I get puzzled if people are going with metric or imperial system. Going with the metric system, to me a mile is 10 km, 1 km is 1000 metres. Nothing more, nothing less. 1.2 km is 1200 metres. 1.2 miles is one mile and two km equalling 12000 meters. Am I right to assume the metric system is used when developing the game, and these figures are even remotely correct then I gladly join OP's(and Ned Flander's) elation. ^_^

Last edited:
Another thing, whenever I see the word mile used in english, I get puzzled if people are going with metric or imperial system. Going with the metric system, to me a mile is 10 km, 1 km is 1000 metres. Nothing more, nothing less. 1.2 km is 1200 metres. 1.2 miles is one mile and two km equalling 12000 meters. Am I right to assume the metric system is used when developing the game, and these figures are even remotely correct then I gladly join OP's(and Ned Flander's) elation. ^_^

Commonly a mile is 1.6 km (rounded). I'm guessing you mean the Scandinavian mile?

Top Bottom