The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad then.

Petty? Seriously now? Petty is complaining about the fact the developer engaged in false advertising in making their game look better then it actually does?

No one forced CDPR to release unrealistic looking traliers that they couldn't match when the game came out and no one forced CDPR to make them openly state the that game will look as good as it did in those trailers when it comes out.

When it comes to the former I am disappointed since I had really hoped TW3 would be that gobsmacking game that was promised in terms of visuals but I would have understood if they been rather clean about it instead of all this nonsense we've gotten. Instead they just pissed me off.

you already admitted that you got it wrong, that they didn't lie, but are still arguing from the same position. that's strange. it seems if you're going to invent promises cdpr never made, you're always going to be disappointed.

you're complaining about one scene that is missing some ember effects and is a bit less smoke congested, out of a game that is 200+ hours long, and trying to spin that as some kind of downgrade conspiracy.

you already admitted that you got it wrong

I got it wrong on the subject of the forum post. I stand fully behind my argument that game the doesn't look as good as VGX which was based purely on a footage comparison and they did make that promise.

I got it wrong on the subject of the forum post. I stand fully behind my argument that game the doesn't look as good as VGX which was based purely on a footage comparison and they did make that promise.

I think it's more complicated than that. VGX apparently has two sections, one which was post-processed and one which wasn't. On top of that, there seems to be a lot of effects showcased during that nvidia presentation that I'm not sure we have entirely seen yet. The perfect example is the fire scene, which we can see untouched in the nvidia vid, and it is much closer to the current footage minus contrast/gamma correction.

My point being that outside of the art direction change, I am increasingly doubtful that anything has been technically downgraded. Of course, you are also entitled to your opinion about the atmosphere and art direction of the game, but this falls outside the discussion of a technical downgrade.

The real problem to me has been to be able to get all this information. It's a bit difficult to attempt to discuss it when the mere mention of graphics or visuals gets you hostile glares from an (understandably) weary community :p.

Good comparison. It's a little disappointing that the the game won't match VGX's visuals exactly. It's also a little weird how the newer scene looks. I can't explain it, it just looks a bit unnatural. Maybe the eh fire sprites and the white foliage just don't mix together very well.

That scene was never in-engine, it was post-processed for artistic and trailer purposes. Without arguing about the rights and wrong of it, the real expectation of that should be in this ballpark : https://youtu.be/3SpPqXdzl7g?t=39s.

Is it just me or the wind on many gameplay vids is just TOO STRONG? I could understand something like that during a storm but even when it's sunny that wind is really giving it all. xD There are also some cases where Geralt's hair in-door are behaving like they're in front of a fan while npc's hair he's talking with are stationary.

That scene was never in-engine, it was post-processed for artistic and trailer purposes. Without arguing about the rights and wrong of it, the real expectation of that should be in this ballpark : https://youtu.be/3SpPqXdzl7g?t=39s.

So the giant "IN-GAME FOOTAGE" displayed at the beginning of a trailer was a lie?
The link you just posted still looks better than what I'm seeing in the other comparison, but I'll keep my hopes up that it'll come close to looking like VGX on release.

Is it just me or the wind on many gameplay vids is just TOO STRONG? I could understand something like that during a storm but even when it's sunny that wind is really giving it all. xD

Maybe the witcherland is just a very windy place :hai:

There are also some cases where Geralt's hair in-door are behaving like they're in front of a fan while npc's hair he's talking with are stationary.
It's because only Geralts hair have physics without Hairworks and some of the buildings doesn't have roof or windows so wind blows through them

So the giant "IN-GAME FOOTAGE" displayed at the beginning of a trailer was a lie?
The link you just posted still looks better than what I'm seeing in the other comparison, but I'll keep my hopes up that it'll come close to looking like VGX on release.

That's why I said that I won't argue about whether it's right or not. It's at least on par for the course for E3, sad as it is. My real interest is whether what's in that nvidia movie is going to be running on my PC in a couple weeks. Like you, I am hopeful :).

Here's a screen from the Gold build of the game - to put your doubts, and fears to rest.

Last edited:
haha, can you imaging the "downgrade" threads for star wars battlefront. :facepalm: When will people learn that the debut trailers released 2 or 3 years before the game actually coming out are just tech demos. So much stuff can change in those years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom