The Witcher Adventure Game to be published by Fantasy Flight Games

+
Uh, what? Adventure game - more or less - is always tied to luck factor (I hope for less). WAG is not eurogame and should NOT be the one. Didn't you notice lots of dice? Ameritrash at its finest.

Properly controlled luck factor can be in the game without making it push your luck game. Games like Kingsburg or Stone Age has lots of dices but luck control measures are installed such as dice modifiers, number of dices used and alike to keep the luck in check. It's possible in those games to decide how muck you rely on luck vs safe choice. It's possible to make an adventure game with randomness and controlled luck. I would imagine it's possible for adventure game to be something like Pandemic with more complex rules to accommodate adventure in it. Yes, I definitely prefer "eurogames".

Wasn't expecting this game to come out as a video game, so this is kind of cool. Will we be able to compete against other people via LAN? And could you PLEASE release this DRM free, for example through the Humble Store?

About the lack of desktop release, do you guys realize this is very much like what linux users have to put up with in the game world? Release for a closed, limited system instead of a full fledged OS? I could also be funny here and say that if you want Windows tablets considered you have to provide hard sales figures for similar games :p

Maerd said:
Properly controlled luck factor can be in the game without making it push your luck game.
Yes, but you can't decrease luck factor to the level of strategy/economic-sim games. Luck is tied to adventure genre. Always was. There can be modifiers or other risk management mechanisms, sure, but there will be always lots of dice rolling. This is probably too much for eurogames fans.

Maerd said:
Yes, I definitely prefer "eurogames".
Then probably TWAG is not game for you?

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
I hope this comes for Windows too, since don't have iOS nor Android tablet :S
Isn't this a board game? Why do people think it is on phones? Am I missing something?

Zanderat said:
Isn't this a board game? Why do people think it is on phones? Am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing, that a digital conversion of the board game has also been announced for iOS and Android. :)

@luck discussion: I don't worry too much about luck. True, it typically is a factor in adventure games, and it happens that bad luck can be your ruin - but that doesn't happen too often. But luck - be it the roll of dice, or drawing cards from a stack - also is part of the fun: it makes things unforeseeable and keeps the game experience fresh and challenging. If a coop game is 100% predictable, the fun is spoilt once you learn how to beat it - a bit of bad luck brings veterans into peril and may require them to adapt and think of different paths to victory.

Vojtas said:
Yes, but you can't decrease luck factor to the level of strategy/economic-sim games. Luck is tied to adventure genre. Always was. There can be modifiers or other risk management mechanisms, sure, but there will be always lots of dice rolling. This is probably too much for eurogames fans.

Can we stick on the topic please? Let's use this thread for questions about this board game and related things. You can continue your discussion into another thread in Community board :)

Does enyone have any idea how the game plays out, rules, what are all the dices for......maybe veterans in D&D and such can give a guess ?

blackgriffin said:
Does enyone have any idea how the game plays out, rules, what are all the dices for......maybe veterans in D&D and such can give a guess ?

I expect it to be somewhat similar to other adventure games like Hero Quest, Descent, Legends of Andor, World of Warcraft board game, etc.

Which, by the way, are very different from Pen&Paper RPGs like D&D - those genres share but a few concepts and the basic idea of an adventuring hero party.

secondchildren said:
Can we stick on the topic please? Let's use this thread for questions about this board game and related things.
Luck factor in The Witcher Adventure Game isn't a topic related to TWAG?

Synvael said:
Yes, yes! Awesome! Can't wait!

Who's that SSJ2 guy?

Vojtas said:
Yes, there are affairs especially in Dandelion's adventure deck. I wouldn't expect cards with naked ladies though.

Uh, what? Adventure game - more or less - is always tied to luck factor (I hope for less). WAG is not eurogame and should NOT be the one. Didn't you notice lots of dice? Ameritrash at its finest.

I often want board games to have luck in it. This way, people that are experienced in a certain game are not necessarily winners from the start when they play with new players.

blackgriffin said:

TWAG looks similar to GOT board game. Just look how the board and card decks look.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-The-Board-Second-Edition/dp/1589947207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389380991&sr=8-1&keywords=Game+of+Thrones+board+game

So probably basic rules and such will be the same? If anyone played GOT, please, tell about it.

About luck: you know, dice brings a factor of indeterminism into the game, just like in a RL. With rolls being purely chance occurrences even the veteran players will be put in novel situations they may not predicted, and have to deal with them. It is actually more fun than a tightly controlled environment and strict rule-following because it makes you to adapt and make a best use even from an unlucky situation. It is always an experiment an outcome of which you can't control. Whether games are dumbed down and easy to play has nothing to do with a bit of chance in them..

By the way, it is a general view/stereotype that the Europeans are more into rule-following, attach less value to human freedom, and in general view humans as less free. It is sort of a running theme in continental philosophy. Americans are less into rules and regulations, more in freedom and independence, and thus into experimenting with different things. May be it reflects in types of games people like to play.

vivaxardas said:
So probably basic rules and such will be the same? If anyone played GOT, please, tell about it.

I played GOT (first edition) but only once, long time ago. GOT is very good board game game as a gameplay goes but it has lots of rules (only devoted players will play with you, long rules explanations), lots of pieces (long setup process), and the time involvement is prohibitively long (3-5 hours). For example, it took us about an hour to just set up the game for the first time to play (of course, part of that was that we never played it before), then more then 40 min for rules explanation, the game play itself is more than 3 hours, which renders it practically impossible for several adults to invest that many hours to this game simultaneously (and you have to explain the rules to all the newbies again and again). So, unless you have some sort of board game geek friends it's very hard to assemble to play it properly. It's very unfortunate.

About luck: you know, dice brings a factor of indeterminism into the game, just like in a RL. With rolls being purely chance occurrences even the veteran players will be put in novel situations they may not predicted, and have to deal with them. It is actually more fun than a tightly controlled environment and strict rule-following because it makes you to adapt and make a best use even from an unlucky situation. It is always an experiment an outcome of which you can't control. Whether games are dumbed down and easy to play has nothing to do with a bit of chance in them..

What you're saying is rather randomness than luck. Randomness is good for games. Luck is the factor when mostly randomness, not the skill, decides the outcome. Randomness is related but not equal to luck. I would recommend you to play Kingsburg to understand on practice what I mean. It's a dice game... kind of... where luck is a minor factor and proper strategy and planning decides the outcome in most cases.

By the way, it is a general view/stereotype that the Europeans are more into rule-following, attach less value to human freedom, and in general view humans as less free. It is sort of a running theme in continental philosophy. Americans are less into rules and regulations, more in freedom and independence, and thus into experimenting with different things. May be it reflects in types of games people like to play.

In my experience, Americans don't play eurogames much just because they don't even know that they exist, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with stereotypes.

People confuse randomness with luck because they are connected. When some random outcome is beneficial to you it is called luck, when it is not - it is called misfortune. Sure, in board games with randomness some players may get lucky once in a while, or suffer a misfortune, but good games should balance it and not to make luck of a draw a factor that determines who will win. With enough skill and foresight players should be able to overcome even some pretty bad luck. I hope TWAG will be like this. If it is as complicated as GOT, I wouldn't mind.

I can't assemble a team to play even the simplest of board games, that's why I want a mobile version. It is always easier to find people on-line. We can organize it even here, on this forum. I bet there will be enough people willing to play.

Vojtas said:
Why would one want to reduce it to zero? Think of luck like of salt in the food. A little bit is good, but if there are too much of it it'll become not very tasty. :)

The word "prefer" that I used doesn't mean I won't play other board games besides eurogames. We don't live in a binary choice world, are we?

Vojtas said:
Latest Game Informer:

Competitive, eh? Now, that's a surprise. Looking forward to what they come up with story-wise, to justify turning long-time companions against each other. Triss is known to have her own agenda, from time to time, but Dandelion and Yarpen Zigrin competing with Geralt..

Top Bottom