The world of Aen Elle. How much slower exactly does the time flow there?

+
The world of Aen Elle. How much slower exactly does the time flow there?

Beacause I want to try imagining certain things on Eredins perspective when he appears in WItcher 3.

We already know that those poor sods who visit the mythical world of Unicorns and manage to return to their own world in relatively brief time will very likely see that great many years have passed and their children have died of old age.
If the riders of the Wild Hunt appear in the Northern Kingdoms as ghostly army yearly, that means in reality they have to prepare in their world for their rides through the worlds more often than that.

Monthly or even weekly?

In the Witcher 3 it has been nearly 6 years since Ciri escaped from Tir ná Lia and even less when Yennefer and then Geralt was captive of Wild Hunt.
Is time like that then to Eredin and others just couple of months when they last met Ciri, Yennefer or Geralt?
Is the wolrd of Aen Elle for example still recovering from their king`s death?

Don't discount the possibility that it's not the world causing the effective time difference, it could be a consequence of the journey.

If I recall my Oisín & Niamh in Tír na nÓg 300 years passed for 3 years spent, but it really isn't made clear that it is definitively the other place that causes it.

Monthly or even weekly?

In the Witcher 3 it has been nearly 6 years since Ciri escaped from Tir ná Lia and even less when Yennefer and then Geralt was captive of Wild Hunt.
Is time like that then to Eredin and others just couple of months when they last met Ciri, Yennefer or Geralt?
I don't think we can solve this by our logic. There is magic, which we don't understand, there is time travelling, which is beyond our comprehension,.. but I would say, they can play a little bit with time. As unicorns said, they are bounded with their limited power. So the time can really flow differently (if Alvallac'h didn't lie), but I think their trips and attacks aren't just about time - if that would be truth, during that time, when Wild hunt had argue with unicorns, it would past years in Wither world without their presence.
Is the wolrd of Aen Elle for example still recovering from their king`s death?
He was old, even if they live so long, they have to count with death. So I don't think this would break them. Maybe Sparrowhawk is new one, maybe Avallac'h, who knows..

Sure they mourned him, it is traditional...

Born to be King:
"So, Percy, if you'd start:"
"The King is dead. Long live the King."
(All) "The King is dead. Long live the King."
"- Probably dead."
"- The King is probably dead."
(All) "Long live the King."
"The King is probably dead."
"Long live the King."
"The King is" (All) .
"not dead."
"Long live the King."

He was old, even if they live so long, they have to count with death. So I don't think this would break them. Maybe Sparrowhawk is new one, maybe Avallac'h, who knows..

I didnt mean they would be overly broken up or anything. I just wondered is the event still fresh in their minds/happened so little time ago

One of the best ideas i've heard was that the Aen Elle sent their scientists and philosophers (the Aen Seidhe) to the Witcher's world specifically because of the time dilation effect, they have centuries of research on the Elder Blood, yet only a few years have passed for them. Think it was Chief who proposed that, haven't seen him in awhile.

I didnt mean they would be overly broken up or anything. I just wondered is the event still fresh in their minds/happened so little time ago
I understand, but I think we can just discuss how important was he for them and what could happened after or questions like this .. IMHO there won't be any answers like: times runs 100 times slowly there, so we are facing new war and Aen elle are still at funreal..

I haven't read the books so i might me miles away here.

What if the magicians of the Aen elle have the means to pinpoint the time and location of their portals to the witcher world. From what i understand from the witcher 1 and 2 the wild hunt is ravaging the witcher world for ages, long before the time ciri entered their world, by entering ages prior to ciri's time the Aen elle have the ability to condition human population to fear them.

We know that Avallac'h can travel between the worlds with limited distortion if he chooses. (He had only recently (few months) messed with Geralt, and was able to then meet Ciri...)

I would guess that the Dearg Ruadhri could deposit their dh'oine to near the time and space they were taken... but for ease, or out of spite instead sling them back (if they survive (and it sounds... unusual and uncommon)) any-old when.

I can't contribute to the Witcher lore, but in the Irish legend of Oisín I mentioned he returns mounted on the same horse he left on, travels around the land observing how much time has passed, it's only when he touches the ground that the years age him. Other legendary characters also visit Tír na nÓg through different means and don't suffer the same consequences. This does leave open the possibility that method of travel is the determining factor.

So the way I perceived it is kind of different.

Time does not really flow differently on the World of the Aen Elle. It's the same. Avallac'h told Ciri that it does, so that she has no hope of ever returning to Geralt and Yennefer. And thus give herself up to Auberon. Remember that Ciri did not know at the time that she can time travel.

She can though. She can go wherever she wants at whatever time. So could the Riders of the Hunt.

However time flowing differently there, is an interesting concept. I like the dynamic of it. Like the Hunt preparing to "attack" every week, but appearing every year in the Witcher World.

But I wouldn't say that the theory Bloth mentioned makes sense to me. Time might flow differently on the Aen Elle World, but that means that is compared with Time flow on the Witcher World. Years however are a set Time measure. A year in the World of the Aen Elle, is exactly the same as a year in the Witcher World. Relatively however, someone spending a year in the world of the Aen Elle, is equal to someone spending a year in the World of the Witcher. It's just that the first person's year is much slower than the second person's year. I don't know if I'm making any sense. They still both age a year though. Anyway.

That's why I think that time flows exactly the same. Otherwise it gets really weird. :p

I'd go with that... with some additional speculations:

The journey between worlds is easiest "the long way" via the spiral, but with Ciri's gift or by concentrating magical effort you can 'short-cut'. For raids the short route makes sense, but for discarded waste, just drifting in the current is more expedient... The slave experiences time 'the same' as if they were still in the Witcher World, up until the moment they are 'thrown back', when their experienced time is minutes, and elapsed time is centuries. This fits with known travel to/fro by the Aen Elle and Aen Saeverne, and Geralt himself... while also accommodating the legends of differential time. I'm not convinced that many get this opportunity though ~ I'd be surprised if they didn't get added to the carnal house that is the foundation for the Aen Elle civilisation.

Further I speculate that Ciri can travel directly from place to place and time to time so long as she has some focus... while the Aen Elle are more limited ~ needing to travel along the path of the spiral or older established routes, not able to create new ones.

Top Bottom