Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Keanu Reeves
"Woah, Cyberpunk coming out soon! Keanu Reeves, woo! Awesome!"

Actually back then, when I discovered he was Johnny Silverhand, I though:"Where is his blonde wig?"
And yes, I will probably perceive him a Keanu Reeves and not Johnny Silverhand. The only reason it doesn't freak me out is because luckily I like the guy. Still "luckily" means that it's not the normal occurrence.

Besides, unpopular choices were made "because immersion", so everything then should go that way or else "because immersion" become just a rhetoric argument instead of a real directive line.

I'm not a fan of Keanu being in the game. I arrived at this opinion years ago when I first met Captain Picard in Oblivion. But people are quietly ignoring the one uncomfortable fact about Keanu - he's not a good actor. If they wanted any kind of acting range or depth with Silverhand, they picked the wrong guy. I'm skeptical of Grimes as well and all the youtubers, because again, they just aren't professional voice actors. I wish they'd follow Rockstar's lead in this. They steadfastly refuse to put celebrities in their games and the VOs are always spot on.

S
I'm not a fan of Keanu being in the game. I arrived at this opinion years ago when I first met Captain Picard in Oblivion. But people are quietly ignoring the one uncomfortable fact about Keanu - he's not a good actor. If they wanted any kind of acting range or depth with Silverhand, they picked the wrong guy. I'm skeptical of Grimes as well and all the youtubers, because again, they just aren't professional voice actors. I wish they'd follow Rockstar's lead in this. They steadfastly refuse to put celebrities in their games and the VOs are always spot on.
Samuel L Jackson was Officer Tenpenny, Ice T was Madd Dog, James Woods was Mike Toreno And there are many more in GTA San Andreas. Ricky Gervais was himself in GTA 4. William Fichtner was Ken Rosenberg in GTA Vice City, Danny Trejo was also in Vice City. Rockstar has done plenty of Celebrity VOs and they’ve been good. This is really just not a big deal.

People just like to get upset over the dumbest things. The whole give a man an inch argument doesn’t even work in this situation. We aren’t “giving” them anything, it’s their damn game and they can put whatever and whoever they please in it. Since when do creators have to go around asking for everyone’s approval before making their product. Things are getting so ridiculous, launch day can’t come soon enough.

This is like Dorito Pope but in reverse.

When EA, Activision and many other devs begin to put journalists and influencers in their games in exaggerated ways we'll all know where and how it began.

But its all okay, what am I talking about anyways? CDPR can do no wrong. Every decision they make is golden and should never be questioned. The cult of CDPR must endure....

Last edited by a moderator:
My God why are people so much shills for CDPR? This is like Dorito Pope but in reverse.

When EA, Activision and many other devs begin to put journalists and influencers in their games in exaggerated ways we'll all know where and how it began.

But its all okay, what am I talking about anyways? CDPR can do no wrong. Every decision they make is golden and should never be questioned. The cult of CDPR must endure....

I'm not sure this is the best way to respond and imply binary views here, as if everyone against it was a "problem child", and as if everyone not minding it or kind of defending it being a shill. If it's not meant, it's still implied by pinging back in that fashion.

And the end of day this is exactly the reality at hand: Some people care positively, some care negatively, others are somewhere in between or indifferent. The company itself might have various reasons for this. While I doubt it's specifically for beneficial reviews on a large scale by the people they covered (side effect, but was it the true intention?), it could be both marketing related in general and / or a simply nod or reference/easter egg, too. But those are my assumptions.

At the end of day it's a simple question: Does CDPR benefit from this and will most people accept it or not? Will those who don't like it still buy the game? Probably? That isn't saying anything should be fine or acceptable (subjective anyway) just because you can "get away with it" (also subjective).

But we are in essence arguing about something that cannot be reversed now for the upcoming release and at the very least might be considered for future titles. Cynically, I see a downwards spiral for those who very much mind this in the negative sense: Assuming more than a hand full of people known or not known from the Streaming/YT/whatever branches are covered and assuming they will all be mentioned here until all are covered, you basically spoil yourself more.

For me the irony is: If I hadn't known and looked here, besides Alanah I likely wouldn't have noticed any of them unless I already knew them well before.

A forum is for debate and exchanging opinions and this can or will include critical discourse. But I feel this topic has hit some end, for me anyway. As I'm relatively okay with a limited amount of implementations or references, I can either sit here and ponder or move on. I feel that if critics keep posting each new person they uncover, they will just spoil it for themselves before the thing even comes out.

What pill do you want to swallow?

I sometimes have the habit of expressing things perhaps a tad complicated or in winded ways. So here's basically a shorter recap of what I mean or what I feel:

1) From what I saw so far, I don't mind it
2) I understand where critical positions are coming from and not everyone accepts this like I do, which is fine
3) Despite this I feel some critics don't help themselves if they go on a "hunt" and keep posting them here esp. if they hadn't even known them before, they just basically spoil it for themselves

Maybe this is also a test for the company to judge reception.

And here the simple thing matters: Feedback. You take part in this by voicing your positive, indifferent or negative opinion. But the end reality is: If not enough people complain it won't be seen as issue and then most would be fine with it. It's a bit like voting or discourse in democracy. Only time will tell, but for the sake of pleasant experiences, I guess I can only suggest that you perhaps don't go nuts over this if you dislike it. I'm sure you won't find an implemented real person, whether as ad face, voice or both (NPC, etc) at every street corner and that their amount will be limited. Nor would you notice unless it gets pointed out to you in each case.

Oh, central tells me the post is getting long, but since it contains the gist, I basically dunno what else to add here besides my general stance and views on this.

My God why are people so much shills for CDPR? This is like Dorito Pope but in reverse.

Should we just never do fun things because others do them in harmfull ways?

"you shouldnt drink booze because alcoholism exists, and we all know how people with that started"

At the end of day it's a simple question: Does CDPR benefit from this

Being a game feature like any other, the question should normally be: Does the player, the one who is giving good money to play the game, benefit from this.

Because asking for a feature to benefit the company is like saying that micro-transactions and lootboxes are good because they are good for the company using them.

Does the player, the one who is giving good money to play the game, benefit from this.

Yes and no. There is no "the player" in this case (but there is "the company").

Some benefit from this because they like it, some not so much because they dislike it - but as long as they still bought the game, it won't be to the company's damage or disadvantage.

They just share advertising with youtubers, vice versa (surprisingly enough, nowadays, Youtube is more watched than Tv by youth etc... From what I understood).

Now, it bugs me in certain way...
Not about the youtubers, I'm in my 30's, I don't really care about them in an "idolizing way", I can't care less.

It bugs me about the target audience of the game...
The youtubers, the tv ads, etc...
It seems like they sell the game to a teenage/young adult audience, when on the other hand they play the mature card.

It's kinda weird and I hope it's not reflective of the finale attitude of the game :/

Yes and no. There is no "the player" in this case (but there is "the company").

Some benefit from this because they like it, some not so much because they dislike it - but as long as they still bought the game, it won't be to the company's damage or disadvantage.

Like micro-transactions and lootboxes .
Some player do like them, and they are good for the company, so they are ok.
And DRM.
I can prove that some player wants them (to me that sounds crazy, but I can easily show that), and some company (thankfully not CDPR) likes them, so they are ok.
Post automatically merged:

It seems like they sell the game to a teenage/young adult audience, when on the other hand they play the mature card.

That's one of the thing I'm keeping silent for know as I have contradictory informations about that, So I classify it in the "there is both an censored and an uncensored version of the game" so it should be a mature games for now.
But still I'm waiting to see ingame to see if there is censorship or not (even if currently I'm more of a "not censored" person).

Post edited. Please dont insult other members of the forums. Reasonable people can disagree.

I'm not sure this is the best way to respond and imply binary views here, as if everyone against it was a "problem child", and as if everyone not minding it or kind of defending it being a shill. If it's not meant, it's still implied by pinging back in that fashion.

And the end of day this is exactly the reality at hand: Some people care positively, some care negatively, others are somewhere in between or indifferent. The company itself might have various reasons for this. While I doubt it's specifically for beneficial reviews on a large scale by the people they covered (side effect, but was it the true intention?), it could be both marketing related in general and / or a simply nod or reference/easter egg, too. But those are my assumptions.

At the end of day it's a simple question: Does CDPR benefit from this and will most people accept it or not? Will those who don't like it still buy the game? Probably? That isn't saying anything should be fine or acceptable (subjective anyway) just because you can "get away with it" (also subjective).

But we are in essence arguing about something that cannot be reversed now for the upcoming release and at the very least might be considered for future titles. Cynically, I see a downwards spiral for those who very much mind this in the negative sense: Assuming more than a hand full of people known or not known from the Streaming/YT/whatever branches are covered and assuming they will all be mentioned here until all are covered, you basically spoil yourself more.

For me the irony is: If I hadn't known and looked here, besides Alanah I likely wouldn't have noticed any of them unless I already knew them well before.

A forum is for debate and exchanging opinions and this can or will include critical discourse. But I feel this topic has hit some end, for me anyway. As I'm relatively okay with a limited amount of implementations or references, I can either sit here and ponder or move on. I feel that if critics keep posting each new person they uncover, they will just spoil it for themselves before the thing even comes out.

What pill do you want to swallow?

I sometimes have the habit of expressing things perhaps a tad complicated or in winded ways. So here's basically a shorter recap of what I mean or what I feel:

1) From what I saw so far, I don't mind it
2) I understand where critical positions are coming from and not everyone accepts this like I do, which is fine
3) Despite this I feel some critics don't help themselves if they go on a "hunt" and keep posting them here esp. if they hadn't even known them before, they just basically spoil it for themselves

Maybe this is also a test for the company to judge reception.

And here the simple thing matters: Feedback. You take part in this by voicing your positive, indifferent or negative opinion. But the end reality is: If not enough people complain it won't be seen as issue and then most would be fine with it. It's a bit like voting or discourse in democracy. Only time will tell, but for the sake of pleasant experiences, I guess I can only suggest that you perhaps don't go nuts over this if you dislike it. I'm sure you won't find an implemented real person, whether as ad face, voice or both (NPC, etc) at every street corner and that their amount will be limited. Nor would you notice unless it gets pointed out to you in each case.

Oh, central tells me the post is getting long, but since it contains the gist, I basically dunno what else to add here besides my general stance and views on this.

My argument is more about the precedence this creates for future exploitation not by CDPR but other devs who will weaponize it in a far worse way.

Imagine playing a CoD game and the "hero" characters are Youtubers and Journalists. Imagine playing an RPG with a party member(s) being Journalists and Youtubers.

It may seem harmless and cute now but many of the bad parts of gaming today like MTXs also had harmless origins before being exploited.

My main concern is the acting skills, If the said celebrities play good or bad, and that's a more constructive point to discuss. I don't care much about how they deal with their celebrity in the real world ; some people are humble with it, some just grow big egos, and what ? If they are good at acting in a ROLE, that's what matters to me.

As long as these celebrities don't break the 4th wall ingame, like going "Hey do you know me I'm famous", or "follow my Youtube channel" and things like this, I'm ok with it.

In the same way that I wouldn't care to see IRL brands in a game world where I "could" expect to see a real life advertisement. Thinking about Cyberpunk 77 which is an alternate future, I highly doubt that any modern brand could pass the test.

The counter example of a good product placement is Kojima's game Death Stranding with (brace yourselves!) its INGAME real-life TV adverts, and a true ingame item labelled "Monster energy drink" that grants you ingame boost. What a lovely way to break your immersion.

The first time I saw this, I was so shocked by this level of world-building assassination that I experienced a cynical spirit disembodiment. Did the players got infuriated about it so much ? It seems that Kojima's game did good sales. Good for him... but still, this is high-level of insult for the art of videogames... Hopefully I realized that the game itself wasn't worth caring for after all, and I recovered my soul, thanks.

(Note : see that tone employed in this "article", where the journalist himself just turns the question into a light joke, is truly wonderful. His conclusion to the article could be : "Who TF cares, it's just a game!")

Humans portraying humans is not immersive?

To many conditions:
-It must be done in a cohesive fashion. Having two kinds of artistic direction side by side is an instant immersion breaker. For example while seeing Carol Costa add, I might not react to it, but seeing negaoryx add beside the rest of the NPCs and other adds of the game is an instant immersion breaker.
-They must be able to make you forget who they are and look a part of the world. But they were chosen for the exact opposite reason: to be recognizable. It can probably make C2077 like one of Johnny Depp post Pirates of the Caribbean film, when you don't see a character from that film but Johnny Depp.

Last edited:
Influencers and celebrities are a concern for me. However, it seems most influencers have a tiny role in the form of a poster. Damn near unnoticeable unless you know what they look like.

The few that do have roles seem to be stuck in small roles of little consequence to the game.

As others have said, influencers, youtubers, etc. are not actors. They may come off as immersive breaking. Look at Jessica Chobit in Mass Effect 3. Awful. My only counterpoint to that is CDPR pride.

CDPR pride is something I feel like was demonstrated well in the music section of one of the NCW’s. The director had the Swedish musician redo a bit so many times because the accent was wrong. I don’t think CDPR would do a half-assed voice over just to get a high profile name in there. I’m sure everyone had to do several takes and got grilled on their performance.

All-in-all, it’s not ideal and I’d prefer that they weren’t in the game, but I trust CDPR to make the cameos presentable and not jarring to the experience.

I do understand some critical notions, but at the same time I'm getting a vibe that is the following:

"Faces / implementations of real people as NPCs in games is bad!"

Keanu Reeves
"Woah, Cyberpunk coming out soon! Keanu Reeves, woo! Awesome!"

Streamer you didn't even hear before is covered on an ad or as some side character in nowhere-town
"This is an outrage and it's killing my immersion!"

I'm slightly exaggerating to get the point across. I understand where some are coming from, but at the same time, it's not the end of the game or world, nor does it personally phase me too much. If I wasn't looking into this thread for about 90% of those in question that were or will be referenced here down the line, I wouldn't even have found out or known.

If "Cannot unread" is one argument, then I guess "Ignorance is bliss" would be the other.

That said, my personal stance is: Relatively unphased. If others notably dislike it, then I guess that's that. I just don't see a large issue with it because if I play and notice that, I take that as a nod, reference or easter egg depending on depiction or implementation and keep playing. If I had a general problem with that then I couldn't take Keanu Reeves, sorry, Silverhand serious either.

While I can't expect anyone to change their preferences, I can say that one can adapt.
The fact that people use "what about keanu doesn't he ruin immersion" as a valid argument is simply beyond me,ok lets compare how a good holywood actor affects the game according to reviewers https://streamable.com/74w188 vs internet "influencer" https://streamable.com/bx772h
a good actor sells you on a character,some of the best video game character wouldnt be as good if the actors were not good you know like geralt,ciri,yenn and the bloody baron,death stranding is also an example of this where some internet celebrities stuck out like a sore thumb,compared to mads mikkelsen acting which is some of the best i have ever seen,so no comparing keanu reeves who is a cyberpunk icon to some random youtuber is simply missleading.
just to be clear this isnt game breaking unless they decide to continue shoving them in our faces for the rest of the game,but having side quests revolving around them is definitely a very bad design choice,because again for the millionth time THEY ARE NOT ACTORS its not an easy job that anyone can do and it requires way more than just a good voice,even as an npc alanah's voice stuck out like a sore thumb in gears of war,i cant imagine doing side quest for her

Last edited:
Then the problem is with you.
A famous face can be jarring and non-immersive, without him ever uttering a word.
oh so every movie that has top tier actors like al pacino and robert de niro is jarring and immersion breaking right?
btw my issue is not having their models in the game i wouldnt mind it if their role was voice acted by a professional actor

Top Bottom