Too many lose strings throughout the game AKA CDPR seems not to have learned out of the Shani incident [SPOILER]

+
Too many lose strings throughout the game AKA CDPR seems not to have learned out of the Shani incident
Hello Guys!

I just finished the game and my overall Opinion: Great game! One of my favorites and so far it has earned the title GOTY2015! Very, very generally speaking I liked everything: The characters, the endings, the mechanics, the graphics and the story.
But it is like it is with everything - and especially with a game as big and complex as this one: There are always some (subjective perceived) shortcomings. Some stuff that I miss or feel has not been thought through very well. Or that had to be cut out due to… well because it's frecking big!

Some of these shortcomings have already been covered in other great threads. For example there’s a detailed review of the games setting as an adult by Maerd, that I recommend to you: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...longer-treat-the-players-like-adults-SPOILERS - I don't think it's that big of an issue and I also don't agree in every aspect, but he has a point there that CDPR seems to have made some concessions to better appeal to the mainstream customers.
And I recommend you this one by 09talamonteo regarding the endgame: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/39674-Mega-SPOILERS-Immersion-Destroyer - Seriously CDPR, either you make a real After-End-Game like Red Dead Redemption did or you don't. But yours just is uncompassionate.

Buuuuut I can live with all that, because hey: I can wish for everything, but I cannot get everything. And I don't care for it too much. BUUUUUUT I am an After-Math-Guy and as such there is one really big beef I have with this game. What I'm talking about is the consequent continuation of the Shani incident onto a whole new level. And despite CDPR saying they have learned from it back in TW2, they clearly didn't. This game just has so many lose ends, which CDPR doesn't tie up, it upsets me to a degree where I have to write a forum post about it (For F***s Sake a forum post)!!!

It starts with the poor continuation of my decisions of TW2. I don't mean stuff like Henselt dying anyway or not meeting Iorveth or Saskia – I think that makes sense. Henselt had it coming and Iorveth and Saskia don’t have to stick around. They've got people to meet, places to be and such and such. I'm talking about stuff like that some tiny comments from NPCs about Iorveth’s or Saskia’s fate just won't suffice. To make it worse I can only hear them if I'm lucky and my game isn't bugged. There were so many possible outcomes to that Story in TW2 and all I get are one or two same-same comments from those same-same one-sentence-NPCs? Are you serious? One would think for a story part that big I have earned at least a small Side-Quest!
Same goes for Anais or Nathaniel. Nothing? And don't even get me started on Adda! She is the center of that one big storyline that ties to the sadly dead Foltest, TW1 decisions and the Lore. She is a big part of the World! Nothing? Really?

And the same goes for the no-item-carry-over-decision! There are different leveled versions of TW2 Items already in that game. Why do I have to seek them again? Just give my TW2 equipment at Level 1. I don't see any reason not to. What do you want to tell me? I leave Geralt alone for like six months and he disposes of all the good equipment? What does this tell me about the ending of this game? Is everything obsolete after six month? Besides, players spent a lot of time getting their equipment in YOUR game CDPR - have some respect towards how thousands of players spent their time!
Also: Why doesn't Geralt suddenly not know anymore what a Nekker or a Harpy is?

Then there are some minor, but sadly also some bigger Side Quests, that just won't be resolved or made reference to later on.
A positive example for me is the conclusion of the Barons quests. You told me everything there is to tell to his story and through various events I see what happens now in Velen. Thanks! I feel drawn into that World and I feel like I had an actual impact. But nothing like that with poor Priscilla? Or Cerys? Priscilla is just gone (WTF?!?) and Cerys and Hjalmar don't leave their room anymore. Is it that The Baron was your promotional Quest Line and you spend all your time fleshing this one out? Is it that? No more time for the rest of the games quests?
And why are the people of White Orchard just weeping all game long and no one moves back into that small village I cleaned out? When does Dolores Reardon finally finish to clean her house out? Every small settlement that has a map marker gets resettled in seconds to make it look like I have an impact on the World, but in my opinion those are just cosmetics. Nothing evolves from that other than a redundant merchant more on the map and there was no story to it, that got me involved to some extent.
It almost feels like you don't care about these quests anymore after I finished them. It feels like the game would tell me: "Well, that was nice! Now move on. Nothing to see here anymore! Move on people! Nothing to see!" It’s just so shallow...

[Little question that has nothing to do with the topic: Is Time Progression for some consequences tied to the Main Story only? It’s just so weird that some stuff happens immediately and some stuff waits patiently for me to progress in the Story. For example I did the Keira Metz Quests a loooong time before I reached Kaer Morhen. But she only appears after I progressed the Story enough. Seems weird to me.]

Also let me tell you that ALL of your important secondary Characters degenerate to one of those one-sentence-NPCs when I'm done with their story. Seriously no nicely flavored talking options with Dandelion? No chance to talk about all that Side Quests I did with my dear Yennefer (or Triss for that matter)? Not just one little dialog like: "Hey Yen, I explored this mages tower and guess what..." - "Oh, Geralt! You know nothing!" That would have been enough! (On a side note: She's my girl, and we’re both very sexual beings. Why can't we do *it* anymore? I romanced nobody else in no Witcher Game, because for Geralt there's only Yennefer! But I get no chance to behave like that in this game.)
And yes, I am asking for something like the talks in DA:O. Until today I can't believe that almost no publisher caught onto that!

As for some comments of the One-sentence-Inhabitants of this World: Sometimes they don't fit the story. But well, that is very hard to guarantee I guess.

All those are small details that annoy me and they are not game breaking. And as I said in the beginning. The Game is still great, but to me you’ve missed out on a lot of potential here. Your Open World that was so alive and vibrant at the games beginning just dies after a certain time.

So, if there really will be an Enhanced Edition I have a big request: Please, please tend to those lose ends and really start tying the game together!

TL;DR: Don't care. Read it or get out ;)

OHOHOH! PS: One big Thanks to your Team for one tiny thing: Yennefer commenting on my beard growth! Never have seen something like that in a game. And details like that are exactly what I'm talking about in this post.

Last edited:
Well some of this is just part of the medium.

I mean, at some point, Triss and Yennefer WILL have nothing more to say.

Top Bottom