TW2/TW3/Redkit][tool] 3D models converter

+
Hello @Varcruz,

​ok normally it should work to get a working collission mesh. The Problem with integrated Collisison is, that it is rahter complicated to get a precise collision mesh. So I would suggest to build some ghost meshes. Use meshes, which are alleady inside the REDkit and build with them your collision. I know it is stupid but, it works. You can work on the collision and then make a entity template out of them.

​Regarding your question, did youe set the static mesh to walkable? This could be the fault. Also I've experienced sometimes strange behaviour and had to use other collsion than exact collsion, to get the meshes walkable. Could you describe your problem a Little bit more in details? It is easier to answer on your questions.
And sorry for the late reply, I did not see this post.

​@saxmankk
I am not sure but maybe this is caused by the exporter by CD Project RED, which had some issues after patch 1.24 ? So you might try it again since the updated the exporter. Or if it does not work, ask for the exact model? Maybe someone will be nice and will do the work for you?

Greetings

Nemo

Last edited:
saxmankk;n3278653 said:
Hey, all. I'm very new to all of this, and I'm trying to use the converter for the purpose of 3D printing, not modding. I followed the instructions on the site, uncooked with the modkit, and used quickbms on the entire \content folder. I have just purchased and downloaded the Witcher 3 on PC (I previously played it on console...I know, I know) for the sole purpose of getting to these 3D model files (I haven't even run the game yet). Anyway, I'm having the exact same issue as Perry92...program log just shows "Reading [file]..." and never loads. Debug log is showing this:

-> Exported with The Witcher Converter 2.5
-> File : E:/Witcher Extracted Files/items/weapons/swords/silver_swords/model/silver_sword_lv3.w2mesh
-> Load Sekeleton is disabled
-> Load only best LOD is disabled

Start loading
LOADING FINISHED

Yet nothing ever loads. Again, I've never launched the game (could that be a problem?), but the build is 1330401. Any help would be much appreciated!

Same problem here.

-> Exported with The Witcher Converter 2.5
-> File : C:/TW3D/characters/models/crowd_npc/novigrad_cloaks/items/model/i_01_ma__novigrad_citizen_cloak.w2mesh
-> Load Sekeleton is enabled
-> Load only best LOD is enabled

Start loading
LOADING FINISHED

Any tips?

Hey@ stilzkin

Maybe I have some time to uncook the witcher 3 again with the new mod kit and try if the 3d converter works, all I can say it works fine for older versions of the witcher 3. Maybe a rollback or reinstall of a older version would solve the problem? If it is urgent just sand a pm.
Nemo

Im downloading TW3 again with autoupdate disabled, but i think i cant rollback. I will see when finish.

Edit: Nothing. I cant rollback my TW3. Is not urgent but if anybody try with GOTY edition, tell me if the problem is real. Thanks Nemo anyway.

Last edited:
Hello stilzkin
I've uncooked the game version 1.31 (with the modkit 1.3) and tried to load the file you've mentioned with the converter. So far it did not work. The converter did not even read the file completly so I could not do anything. Maybe I have not unpacked the buffer files correctly. I will try this later again.
(hm I have no clue if I've understood it but maybe the following works)
You just have to use the modkit twice.
First to get the uncooked files
Second to export the -w2mesh into a format like fbx.
There should be tutorials how to do this. Also there is a grapic interface based version of the modkit available at the nexus site (http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2097/?) this will make it easier to use the modkit. I have to mention I did not try this out. Maybe you could try it yourself to uncook and then to export the meshes you need and then import into a 3d program to maybe change the format and then use the file!
I know it is not as comfortable as the converter but it should work.

I hope I've helped at least a little bit, and sorry for the late answer! And I hope that the converter gets fixed in the future.
Greetings Nemo

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes, I identified an issue with the last updates of the games caused by a change in the version of the file format.
I will upload an update quickly to fix this.
I have received many messages and mails about this, so sorry if I haven't answered to everyone, but the fix will come in the next days.
And happy holiday season to everyone !:cheers:

JLouisB
Good news!! It is a houndred times easier to look through the witcher 3 .w2mesh models with your tool. Without your tool we must know what model we want. I am eager to have more shield meshes in the witcher 2 REDKit. Thanks !
Nemo

Hi,
I have just uploaded a new version of the tool, it should fix a part of the issues mentionned in this thread.

Changelog :
- Fix an issue with the GOTY version and the last updates of TW3
- Add a "Materials explorer" in TW3 tools
- Add the possibility to open the files in the app directly with the Windows Explorer (right click/open with)

Hi @JLouisB,

Edit: I worked around the problem using the damaged windows which where openable in Blender and aranged the UVMaps loking at the .fbx files.I finally imported the windows into the REDkit. So ,my problem is solved, but also not.

I looked at the windows of wyzima_castle again and also tried to export them via the official modkit. I got an loadable .fbx file.It had vertices and faces etc. but I saw nothing in blender. In edit mode I could grab some vertices but they were all in the center.Scaling did not help. The stragnge thing is that I got a working UV Map.
Opening the file coresponding .w2mesh file with your exporter showed me a mesh. But I could not export in a format that worked in blender. So do you have any idea about this stupid problem? Should I send you my .fbx file? I have to add that I still use the files I unpacked from Version 1.21 or older, could this be the problem?
Also, I want to thank you for the new functions of the tool.
Greetings Nemo

Last edited:
Hey @JLouisB

I was sort of on the fence about posting this, because I didn't quite know how to do so without coming off as ungrateful, so first of all thank you so much for the wonderful tool you have shared. I have had much use of it already with the Witcher 2, and am now attempting my hand at exporting models from the Witcher 3.

However, after uncooking the files correctly with the modtools and quickbms, I believe I have a problem similar to posters preceeding me; that I can load in models, but they will often appear white, despite their access to the right textures.

I'm posting here to ask if this is going to be fixed, because I have been able to fix it manually in the exported .mtl files, but this will be extremely time consuming with the amount of models I want to export.
Will this problem be adressed anytime soon, or am I better off exporting and fixing the models manually?

P.s.
I am very new to 3d modelling and working with 3d file-formats in general, so I assume that all I know about how to fix it, you already know yourself. However, if you think anything I have learned on the subject could be useful, let me know and I will share what I have found.

Graesholt;n9271711 said:
Hey @JLouisB

I was sort of on the fence about posting this, because I didn't quite know how to do so without coming off as ungrateful, so first of all thank you so much for the wonderful tool you have shared. I have had much use of it already with the Witcher 2, and am now attempting my hand at exporting models from the Witcher 3.

However, after uncooking the files correctly with the modtools and quickbms, I believe I have a problem similar to posters preceeding me; that I can load in models, but they will often appear white, despite their access to the right textures.

I'm posting here to ask if this is going to be fixed, because I have been able to fix it manually in the exported .mtl files, but this will be extremely time consuming with the amount of models I want to export.
Will this problem be adressed anytime soon, or am I better off exporting and fixing the models manually?

P.s.
I am very new to 3d modelling and working with 3d file-formats in general, so I assume that all I know about how to fix it, you already know yourself. However, if you think anything I have learned on the subject could be useful, let me know and I will share what I have found.

I have currently the same issue. Monsters/animals are loaded with textures, but human models are missing them (they are just displayed white), even though the textures exist the the respective folders.

How did you fix the issue manually?

Hey Pwn0r
it is not that hard to fix it manually. You have to open a mesh with the program and then go to "Menu -> Show linked files" there you can see all the used .w2mi files (or sometimes the textures and detailmaps they've used) There is also the option to use the Materials Explorer. Go to Witcher 3 Tools -> Materials Explorer there you can see what materials (w2mi) were used and what textures are part of those .w2mi files. It gives you also information about the colour of the material that they added to the texture (eg. they made it darker etc.). The Materials Explorer does not work always for me, but maybe this is related to my files, with which version of wcc_lite.exe I unpacked the game files and the version of the game eg. 1.22 etc.
If you can only take a look at the .w2mi in the "Show linked files" window often the name of the. w2mi file has the same name as the name of the texture it uses. For example poor_wood_outdoor_planks.w2mi will use the texture poor_wood_outdoor_planks. Sometimes the w2mi are named with additional attributes like poor_wood_outdoor_planks_dark.w2mi those .w2mi use the same texture but have same colour added (Sorry but I don't know how to find out the colours in those files when the materials explorer isn't working). You can also take a look at the .w2mi files by opening them with some program (even) editor. Inside them you can find additional information eg. what shader material (.w2mg) the developers have used ( eg. pbr_det.w2mg) and seldom if they used additional textures like additional normal maps.
When you know what textures have been used it is very easy. Just use and align those textures in your 3d editing program. If the model has more than one texture and you don't know what texture is used on what part of the mesh it can help to look at the meshes in game. I don't have a better solution for this, it's just trial and error.
I hope that this helped you at least a bit. If you have further questions you can also ask via pm.

Greetings Nemo

Thx for the anser Nemo.

Sp my goal is to get some nice models in the VRML format in order to print them on a 3d-printer. There are some Witcher models available on e.g. thingiverse, but only in STL, so no textures. Since the printer can handle the full color palette, textures are simply a must.

I started painting the STLs by hand in netfabb, but soon realised that I could also use the textures already available in Witcher 3 instead. Being able to export the models with different armors or in poses would be way better/easier. But I am an absolute beginner regarding 3d design-software. I have experience with CAD for engineers, but this helps nothing with 3DS Max or Photoshop CC as I have noticed.

I import the OBJ in 3DS Max and reassing the texturemaps manually, then I can export the models as VRML.
This way I did achieve to export some monster- and animal-models with their associated textures with 3DS Max 2017 and they seem fine. Going to check them on monday if the printers software accepts them without errors.

But I also want to try printing human models, like Geralt, Zoltan, Triss and so on. And these models are not as easy too handle as the monsters/animals.
Here I have some problems:
- Missing eyes (see attachment)
- no hair color (assigning with material editor "Ambient" and "Specular" seems to solve this)
- when exported the hair consist only of a few wisps (see attachment)

-> where do I get the eyes?
-> how can I achieve full hair in the exported VRML?
-> What do I need to controll the skeleton/pose?

And has anyone some generals hits (useful/important parameters, values etc) or related tutorials/guides and stuff?

(would have created a new topic, but I have no 10 posts yet)

170826_Triss-head_2.jpg

Hi here,

Sorry, I havn't looked the messages here.
Please post again if you have a specific issue, I will check the forum in the coming days

But finally I have a new update.

The Witcher 3 :
- Experimental animations support enabled !
Thx a lot to Ákos Köte who have find the solution about the quaternion decompression issue where I was stuck on this feature
It still buggy, and the other problem yet is that animated meshes export it's nor currently yet supported.
I have to update Assimp, check if some stuff have been added to do this, and update my IrrAssimp wrapper tu support animated meshes.

- Fix a bug for some w2mi loading (so fix some missing materials)

The Witcher 2 : I have made a DZIP extractor available directly in the menu.
The nexusmod link the que QuickBMS script seem dead, so I have made this and it's easier to use in this software

Materials explorer : now possible to clic on the link of the textures to open them directly
Many feature can be added to this tool, to change it to a more genreal The witcher file explorer

Search tool :
- Add a "fast search" mode automatically used if the files have previously been previously index in a "files.txt" file.
So to use it, copy the scriipt "index.bat" in the "tools" subfolder, paste it in your base directori and run it
It will generale a "files.txt" file and the search tool will be a lot faster
- "Load rig" for the rig files and "Load animations" for the animation
- Checkboxs to select the type of content searched

Genreal :
- The window can now be resized
- The log system has been rewritten, now it's not the big performance killer of the previous version

Also someone has send me an email a few weeks ago, about the Redkit export I think, but I can't find this mail, seems lost :comeatmebro:
So if you're here and you still have an issue with that, please send it again or post a message of the topic

JLouisB;n9969821 said:
Hi here,

Sorry, I havn't looked the messages here.
Please post again if you have a specific issue, I will check the forum in the coming days

But finally I have a new update.

The Witcher 3 :
- Experimental animations support enabled !
Thx a lot to Ákos Köte who have find the solution about the quaternion decompression issue where I was stuck on this feature
It still buggy, and the other problem yet is that animated meshes export it's nor currently yet supported.
I have to update Assimp, check if some stuff have been added to do this, and update my IrrAssimp wrapper tu support animated meshes.

- Fix a bug for some w2mi loading (so fix some missing materials)

The Witcher 2 : I have made a DZIP extractor available directly in the menu.
The nexusmod link the que QuickBMS script seem dead, so I have made this and it's easier to use in this software

Materials explorer : now possible to clic on the link of the textures to open them directly
Many feature can be added to this tool, to change it to a more genreal The witcher file explorer

Search tool :
- Add a "fast search" mode automatically used if the files have previously been previously index in a "files.txt" file.
So to use it, copy the scriipt "index.bat" in the "tools" subfolder, paste it in your base directori and run it
It will generale a "files.txt" file and the search tool will be a lot faster
- "Load rig" for the rig files and "Load animations" for the animation
- Checkboxs to select the type of content searched

Genreal :
- The window can now be resized
- The log system has been rewritten, now it's not the big performance killer of the previous version

Hella awesome!
It's working!
I tried to watch the chicken animation, and I did it.

I have two questions:
1) How to save the model with the skeleton?
2) How to save the animation?

Many thanks for your hard work!

Thanks @MadSage , some animations aren't perfect but it's a good start yes !

In my previous post I have said that there is yet no way to export animation but I have forgotten the B3D exporter that I have modified for TW2 skinned meshes exports.
So currently there is only one way to export a mesh with skeleton and animations : the B3D exporter
In my tutorial for The Witcher 2, I show who to use the B3D export for the animated meshes :
http://jlouisb.users.sourceforge.net..._2_models.html

I have tested again the same workflow with TW3 animated meshes and it works well, I have my skinned and animated mesh in Blender, so you can use that.

But I know that B3D isn't supported by a lot of softwares, so I will try to add more possibilities in the next release (in particular by updating Assimp and improve IrrAssimp : I think that in the last version they support Collada (.DAE) and GLTF for the animated meshes)

Top Bottom