Was playing the witcher 2 again, shadows, mutagens.

+
Was playing the witcher 2 again, shadows, mutagens.

I really hope the witcher 3 does not use the same shadow technique that was in the witcher 2, because they look extremely grainy, looks like small lines almost and its definitely noticeable. Graphics are amazing but these shadows do not look good at all.

Also, how mutagens were used when you put them in a skill slot and you can't ever change the mutagen and you could only mutate like 4 skills total was not good. I hope that gets changed as well.

Just my quick feedback here because I want the witcher 3 to be the best witcher game possible and I had to say something about these two issues I had with the witcher 2 for my fears of them returning in 3.

With the shadows, I think they tried too hard and succeeded only partially. There are cases where you get artifacts like deep shadows cast from distant trees. Pop-in, both of shadows and clutter, is a bigger problem to me. "Grainy" and "look like small lines" sound like artifacts of your graphics system, because I do not see them. If they use DX11 well in Red Engine 3, this should take care of the pop-in problems.

I have to disagree with you about the mutagens. The structure of the game is about making choices that you have to live with, not choices you can decide later to reverse. And since you can apply at least eight mutations in the path that really makes sense to use mutations (alchemy: 2 in training, 6 in the alchemy tree), I don't see a lack of mutagen slots.

With the shadows, I think they tried too hard and succeeded only partially. There are cases where you get artifacts like deep shadows cast from distant trees. Pop-in, both of shadows and clutter, is a bigger problem to me. "Grainy" and "look like small lines" sound like artifacts of your graphics system, because I do not see them. If they use DX11 well in Red Engine 3, this should take care of the pop-in problems.

I have to disagree with you about the mutagens. The structure of the game is about making choices that you have to live with, not choices you can decide later to reverse. And since you can apply at least eight mutations in the path that really makes sense to use mutations (alchemy: 2 in training, 6 in the alchemy tree), I don't see a lack of mutagen slots.

trust me, nothing related to graphical artifacts. The shadows are very grainy. Some people can't see it, I'm guessing poor eyesight or just end up not taking notice of it for some reason.

Here's a screenshot I took at the beginning of my new playthrough, you can clearly see it, the shadows are on "ultra" in this picture. http://postimg.org/image/j2ridgbbj/full/

Looks grainy, almost like miniature lines. Only on the edges of shadows. I seriously hope they have smooth looking shadows in TW3.

Last edited:
IIRC blur and DOF remove most of the ugly penumbra shadows.

Already removed those settings, got nothing to do with the edges of shadows having some sort of miniature lines all over them though. It's just the way the edges of the shadows look.

All in all I just hope it stays out of the witcher 3.

"Grainy" and "look like small lines" sound like artifacts of your graphics system, because I do not see them.

Then you jsut did not pay attention. Its evident.

trust me, nothing related to graphical artifacts. The shadows are very grainy. Some people can't see it, I'm guessing poor eyesight.

Here's a screenshot I took at the beginning of my new playthrough, you can clearly see it, the shadows are on "ultra" in this picture. http://postimg.org/image/j2ridgbbj/full/

Looks grainy, almost like miniature lines. Only on the edges of shadows. I seriously hope they have smooth looking shadows in TW3.

I see what you mean. The shadows you indicated are dithered. This isn't something anybody can do anything about. There's only so many pixels and so many bits per pixel (6 bits per pixel on TN displays), and the only thing you can do is dither them.

If they did not dither them, they would be even less realistic. I find no fault with a graphics developer who provides the best detail possible with standard crappy displays.

I see what you mean. The shadows you indicated are dithered. This isn't something anybody can do anything about. There's only so many pixels and so many bits per pixel (6 bits per pixel on TN displays), and the only thing you can do is dither them.

If they did not dither them, they would be even less realistic. I find no fault with a graphics developer who provides the best detail possible with standard crappy displays.

what's so unrealistic about shadows that have smooth edges? Walk in a park and look at the shadows in real life lol. Whatever this "dither" affect is does not make it look realistic, it makes it look pixellated and grainy. But I'm not here to argue, I'm just here to say that I hope it stays out of the witcher 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom