Welcome Thread [Archive]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just unplug everything and place your computer case on a flat surface, then take out the case side panel. Get some compressed air cans and blow the hell out of it. Remember to keep the can straight or it might drip. I also use a rag to clean flat surfaces.

My case (Antec 902 v3) has dust filters in a few places, so I also take those out and wipe them, then blow the edges. They are actually washable but I'm too lazy for that.

In the case of your GPU, blow air into the slots trying to get the dust OUT. Also blow the fans since those catch a lot of dust in the blades. For the CPU heatsink simply blow in the direction of the holes, assuming you, like most gamers, have a relatively tall aftermarket heatsink.

It's all really straightforward. You don't really have to take out the internal components.

Also, when blowing through a fan, stop the fan with a soft object like an eraser. (Yeah, Brits call them "rubbers", but that means something very different, something you wouldn't want to stick in a fan, to Yanks.) Otherwise the strong jet of air may overdrive the fan and damage the bearings.

Sometimes GPUs are hard to clean; they get dust impacted in those long narrow vanes, and no amount of blowing will loosen it. Usually the impactions are right next to the fan; you can get them out with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. In really bad cases, you may have to remove the cooler. I hate doing this, but I've saved three overheating GPUs that way.

Get a leaf blower. I got an electric one for £12 from a charity shop. It's best to take your PC outside before you use it though, first time I pointed it at my PC a cloud of dust exploded from my it and everything else in my room ended up with a layer o dust on it. It does make the fans on the front go crazy so might be a good idea to use Guy's recommendation, although I haven't bothered and my fans still work.

JOJ26 said:
Get a leaf blower. I got an electric one for £12 from a charity shop. It's best to take your PC outside before you use it though, first time I pointed it at my PC a cloud of dust exploded from my it and everything else in my room ended up with a layer o dust on it. It does make the fans on the front go crazy so might be a good idea to use Guy's recommendation, although I haven't bothered and my fans still work.

Please, PLEASE, NO!

Any air source not designed for the purpose stands a good chance of wrecking your computer, if not by blowing oil or entrained objects into it, then by electrostatic damage or by overloading the fans.

Canned air is cheap and clean. Vacuums and blowers that will not leave you with a brick and a technician laughing at you for doing something that stupid are expensive.

Just so you don't think I'm totally mad, The leaf blower doesn't get used for gardening. Mostly it just does a good job of waking people up who fall asleep on my sofa, with or without toilet paper on a paint roller infront of it.

Hey guys, remember that I wanted to grow a beard similar to the beard from Joel (video-game character from The Last of Us)?

Well, my beard is finally starting to become more like Joel's! :D/>/> I'm quite happy with how my beard is turning out haha. :p/>/>

PS: Don't mind myy hair, it looks really messy here. I had a hard day of work in the hot sun and I have yet to take a shower to be quite honest.

PPS: Thanks for the advice on cleaning my PC guys!

Luc0s said:
Hey guys, remember that I wanted to grow a beard similar to the beard from Joel (video-game character from The Last of Us)?

Well, my beard is finally starting to become more like Joel's! :D/>/>/> I'm quite happy with how my beard is turning out haha. :p/>/>/>

PS: Don't mind myy hair, it looks really messy here. I had a hard day of work in the hot sun and I have yet to take a shower to be quite honest. />

PPS: Thanks for the advice on cleaning my PC guys!

OK, I won't say a word about your new look! I risk being accused of perverting-child grandmother

Wichat said:
OK, I won't say a word about your new look! I risk being accused of perverting-child grandmother

Whaaaaaaaa? :eek: Soooo I suppose you do not approve? (I'm genuinely confused)

Luc0s said:
Whaaaaaaaa? :eek:/> Soooo I suppose you do not approve? (I'm genuinely confused)

On the contrary, beloved Luc0s, on the contrary... you look more than cute. It gives you a handsome sex-appeal /> Where were you when I was yongeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer? OK, you weren't born yet! /> Dammed!! />

;)/>

Wichat said:
On the contrary, beloved Luc0s, on the contrary... you look more than cute. It gives you a handsome sex-appeal Where were you when I was yongeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer? OK, you weren't born yet! Dammed!!

;)/>/>/>

Wow... thanks... :rolleyes:/>

You make it sound like you could be my mother, but you don't look that old on your picture on the first page.

I'm 24 years old by the way. And dare I ask how old you are granny Wichat?

I'm 51 old, not like a grandma but... almost :p/> So I could be your mother, yes. But doesn't mean I cannot say to a man how handsome he looks to me. And to make matters worse, I have a weakness for beards. :rolleyes:/>

But seriously, you can be proud of your beard. Your efforts have been worthwhile /> . Congrats!

Wichat said:
I'm 51 old, not like a grandma but... almost :p/>/>/> So I could be your mother, yes. But doesn't mean I cannot say to a man how handsome he looks to me. And to make matters worse, I have a weakness for beards. :rolleyes:/>/>/>

But seriously, you can be proud of your beard. Your efforts have been worthwhile />/>/> . Congrats!

You're 51 years old? Honestly? And that picture on the first page, that's a "recent" picture?

I mean seriously, judging by that picture of yours on the first page, I'd say you're somewhere in your 30s, certainly not in your 50s!

And thanks! I guess my beard does help showing that I'm actually 24 years old and not 14 years old. :p/> Just look at my older pictures (when I just had a goatee). People would mistake me for a teenager often enough when I was cleanly shaved. Kinda annoying when you want to buy liquor or spirit. -_-;

Luc0s said:
You're 51 years old? Honestly? And that picture on the first page, that's a "recent" picture?

I mean seriously, judging by that picture of yours on the first page, I'd say you're somewhere in your 30s, certainly not in your 50s!

And thanks! I guess my beard does help showing that I'm actually 24 years old and not 14 years old. :p/>/> Just look at my older pictures (when I just had a goatee). People would mistake me for a teenager often enough when I was cleanly shaved. Kinda annoying when you want to buy liquor or spirit. ;

Thanks for your words, but that picture had taken 3 years ago :p/> As you can see, I've had the same trouble that you when I was younger... people mistaked me for a teenager often enough, too. Oh! life can be so cruel sometimes! :rolleyes:/> ;)/>

Wichat said:
Thanks for your words, but that picture had taken 3 years ago :p

So? That means you were 48 on that picture, right? Well, you look closer to 38 on there, or perhaps even 28. I'm not even joking.

Guest 2091327

That beard looks fantastic. Wish I had growth on the sides :(

Some women simply look very young for their age, probably a gene thing. Met a woman yesterday for example, who was 38 years old and had a 15 year old daughter. I wouldn't put her a day over 30, and probably not even that. Perfect skin and so forth.

Pangaea said:
That beard looks fantastic. Wish I had growth on the sides :(/>

Thanks man! Trust me, 5 years ago (age 21) I was not able to grow a beard like this. I figured that I would never be able to grow a proper beard, but apparently I can now. Who would have thought?

Women can be quite the rogues. A close woman "friend" of mine, well I had figured her to be not a day over 32 and to the contrary she was 45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom