Welcome Thread [Archive]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well .... Here it goes ...

This is not the best looking gaming corner .... lol .... But to the left there is a 47 inch HD TV with a PS3 right next to it, and of course ..... My PC ...

And this is me at 11 pm, tired as hell, so don't judge my look, lol

So I am wondering what's the max safe temperature I can run my GPU and CPU at? I value both silence and speed so heat's the only thing I've got to work with.

I am also interested in keeping my components running for at least 3-4 years. I've got a I7-3770k that's about a year old and a GTX 780 Gigabyte Windforce OC that's brand new.

Last edited:
Those will last you 3 to 4 years, no problem.

GPUs can run at surprisingly high temperatures. nVidia GPUs have long been designed to work at up to 95C, though you really don't want them up there forever. That model with the Windforce cooler is supposed to be able to keep itself down to 70C. If it's too noisy at full load, though, you have room to back off the fan profile.

The temperature limit on the Ivy Bridge CPUs is amazingly way up there at 105C. However, a well-done cooling system will keep them under 75C. Again, there's plenty of room to tune the fan profile downward.

Thermal degradation of the kind that was called "Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome" has been pretty much eliminated in modern CPU and GPU designs.

I've tuned the fan down on Windforce to 40%, I really care about the noise more then OC to be fair...

Of course I am a bit on the weary side with it. Considering it's brand new and I lost a GPU just over a week ago. ( EVGA support is going to take me time ).

As for my CPU. Well I guess it's a no-go. I have very some very silent Noctua fans that I use with very low DB connectors...so they run slow ( about 1000 RPM if I were to guess ) and thus my CPU temp is quite high. Not much wiggle room there I guess.

P.S. Fun part about getting a Windforce is that it's freaking large. Had to take out my mid HDD tray out of my case to make room for it.

Last edited:
Ah, a PC for the refined gentleman I assume?

We built that custom PC case to do double duty as a PC case and also an end table. He has his printer set underneath it and we made a top for it with a glass window framed in wood. Here is a picture of the PC desk we also built with his PC end table next to it. Note: that isn't a crack in the glass. It's simply the reflection of the speaker wire going up his wall.

View attachment 2595
View attachment 2596

Attachments

• 2014-04-03 10.53.42.jpg
    2014-04-03 10.53.42.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 2014-04-03 10.52.02.jpg
    2014-04-03 10.52.02.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 62
We built that custom PC case to do double duty as a PC case and also an end table. He has his printer set underneath it and we made a top for it with a glass window framed in wood. Here is a picture of the PC desk we also built with his PC end table next to it. Note: that isn't a crack in the glass. It's simply the reflection of the speaker wire going up his wall.

View attachment 2595
View attachment 2596

I shed a manly manly tear seeing that ......

So .... Beautiful ....

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :) I realized it had been quite a while since I had posted any pictures in this thread so I figured it was time for an update. Building both tables and assembling the PC was a lot of fun. We ended up getting the processor overclocked to 4.5 ghz and decided to leave it there despite having a bit more room to play with. And the two SSD hard drives in RAID 0 are very fast. They benchmarked over 1000 MB/sec read speed!

Last edited:
As someone who loves mystery i've always avoided this thread, but I had to come in to see @freakie1one;'s superb setup. So I guess now I'm here, and against my better judgement, heres me (apparently shedding the winter beard is a kodak moment):

Not the best pic, but I don't do selfies. Now, my computers are all functional not photogenic, but here's my wild side instead:

View attachment 2619

This is Púca.... FYI, he let the local cat hater out of the bin, eventually :p

Attachments

• puca.jpg
    puca.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 43
As someone who loves mystery i've always avoided this thread, but I had to come in to see @freakie1one;'s superb setup. So I guess now I'm here, and against my better judgement, heres me (apparently shedding the winter beard is a kodak moment):

Not the best pic, but I don't do selfies. Now, my computers are all functional not photogenic, but here's my wild side instead:

View attachment 2619

This is Púca.... FYI, he let the local cat hater out of the bin, eventually :p

I am still sporting my winter beard. Not because I think it looks good but simply because I dislike shaving my face lol. I am a single guy so I don't have to worry about a woman complaining about my scruffiness!
:listen:

Puca looks rather ferocious! And if you like mystery, well, most people on this forum probably do not know what I look like despite posting my photo several times. I registered on these forums before TW1 was released lol. Oh how time flies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom