What are your thoughts of the new card designs?

+

• I like it.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Neutral.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I dislike it.

Votes: 35 29.2%

• Total voters

Personally, I think the card art itself is beautiful, but I find the new flags distracting. It takes away from the beauty of the art. In addition, it feels like the stylistic choice is clashing. The flag design seems almost cartoony and doesn't mix well with the art on the cards. I see what the developers were going for here, but sometimes less is more.

Last edited:
I like it but don't like new damaging mechanics....is really painful for my eyes. This is not game a I fell in love.

Personally, I like them a lot. They serve to set the factions apart, making the overall picture of the battlefield clearer and more cohesive. I also think the new Gold/Silver/Bronze frames clash a lot less with the card rarity colors than the old ones that were just on the left side did. I always thought it looked kind of weird to have that fat golden line on (12) Geralt when he was a purple/epic card. So overall, I think this change is for the better.

I agree - also don't like the flag design cause it looks to cartoon like . But the hole interface, the style, the colors and the atmosphere is even worse. I loved gwent in TW3! But now it's way to colorful in my eyes. Cant imagine the dark, brutal witcher universe if looking at the new gwint standalone :(
What do u think about the interface style? Do u like it how it is or want much darker like i would prefer? I started a poll at gwent database forum. Don't want to post the same poll a second time so come and join if u want to vote ;)

They could highlight the card value (bronze/silver/gold) a little more, with the new big faction banners covering almost all the left side of the card frame, they seem a little less eye catching right now... seems that you have to zoom in to see what the card is, specially bronze/silver ones. Or maybe is just a wrong impression.

The Gwent is different from other card games because of the amazing artwork. Cards even have no text just to show as much art as possible. And when we have premium cards in addition, it makes us love not only Gwent, but also art.
That's why old banners were much better. Not only because new are confusing. Because of their usually higher saturation and brightness than cards' artworks they draw our attention. The faction colors sometimes totally don't match card artwork (for instance main card's color is red, but since it's Scoia it has big green banner). And what's the most important, now it's so hard for newbies to understand bronze/silver/gold mechanics because it's not noticeable that much.
I would go back to old banners (no one had problem with them, now we can say that people are divided). We just needed a faction icon on the card.

Also now we have three sets of colors:
- Faction colors: Blue/Red/Green/Purple
- Rarity colors: Grey/Blue/Purple/Gold
- Strength colors: Bronze/Silver/Gold

For me it's too confusing for a new player and I'm sure it will take at least some time to understand everything properly.

And what's the most important, now it's so hard for newbies to understand bronze/silver/gold mechanics because it's not noticeable that much.

Exactly, this is what i meant, specially for bronze and silver cards right now it seems to be a little hard to diferentiate them without zooming in, the card frame color its really small compared with the faction baner color.

And since the factions are already divided when you build the deck, the information regarding card value (bronze/silver/gold) is WAY more important than which faction that card belong to (which should be tad obvious to the players).

The flag makes they cards more "vibrants". Signs and colors associated with factions make them clearer.
In return, it is true, the Gold/Silver/Bronze frames isn't perceptible or with difficult.

But i've vote 'I like it' because i liked this choice :)

In my opinion new frames don't fit to the card arts. The arts are dark, very nice, and new frames are kind of cheerful or comic style? The simply does not fit to the arts in my opinion.

I think that card arts are much more polished than card frames.

Last edited:
I think the banner are pretty but the old design is better because it make the art stand out. Put too much detail will ruin the art.

Last edited:
On the other hand, i really liked the red eye above the card row symbol to show its a spy. Really noticeable.

Maybe if they highlighted the card frames color a little it would be perfect.

I am neutral at this. I agree with gold/silver/bronze frames, they´re barely visible and those artstyles for factions aren´t as good, though some people will find it pretty. The best way of handling this, is to let the player choose between different artstyles.
Those animations are very colorfull and I like it, the game has more action element to it so new players won´t get bored. But that´s only me and my opinion.

CDP: just let the player decide what he wants. I know that it will add you another work that you prorably didn´t have in your schedule. So, I think you should focus on this when you fix rebalance and other issues. For now you could just add option to limit those animations or just turn them off.

I don't like the new card frames. They're too cartoonish and busy. They don't really add any quality over the previous design. Full border around the art is also unnecessary.

I agree the previous frames lacked some information like rarity and needed some work, but still I preferred those over the new ones.

I love them, but I also loved the previous version. I think if I were to rate this new design it'd be a 9/10 (removing a point because I think they're a bit cartoony)

New design looks great and the information conveyed is vital. Agree they are perhaps a little big and dramatic, but I'll take it. The big note, as others have said, is that Bronze/Silver/Gold are not easily readable on the battlefield. Definitely needs to be tweaked to be more visible. And the rarity icon as a square seems like a plain shape, maybe a diamond would be more pleasing? The rarity square looks really lame.

I like new design, but some elements are pretty heavy and odd. Maybe making them a bit smaller will solve this.

They could fit to comic-style arts, but not actual in-game arts. Frames are too detailed, too colourful, they distract from nice arts inside, and informations about strength and row just drown in these rainbow frames.
New frames are just awful, and people who like it do not have good taste, and do not understand the power of simplicity.

It is fine that devs are looking for new ways to show us categorization of cards, but no... not this way.

Last edited:
They could fit to comic-style arts, but not actual in-game arts. Frames are too detailed, too colourful, they distract from nice arts inside, and informations about strength and row just drown in these rainbow frames.
New frames are just awful, and people who like it do not have good taste, and do not understand the power of simplicity.

It is fine that devs are looking for new ways to show us categorization of cards, but no... not this way.

I vote: yes I like it. Because they look nice, they not awful.....but I watched video again, I thought about this and I agree with some opinion:
They are too colourful and too detailed, they distracting nice art inside. I like the idea they had but in the same time something wrong here, this should not be in the game.

It comes to mind once again Hearthstone - cards there have some frame details like that.
All of that started worry me a lot: first changes to the cards that can take damage to opponents cards and destroy them, now design going a bit in that direction and what next - cards with shield? Administrators denies but I think is happening...all my friends have the same opinion, game started to go a bit in "Hearthstone-nish" direction. Yes is a great successful game...but don't forget one thing: We all here because we fell in love in Gwent from The Wild Hunt, we don't want another game take have some similar things to Hearthstone...keep it originality. Where is this coming from? Sack these people with these ideas immediately, before they ruin game completely ;)

game started to go a bit in "Hearthstone-nish" direction. Yes is a great successful game...but don't forget one thing: We all here because we fell in love in Gwent from The Wild Hunt, we don't want another game take have some similar things to Hearthstone...keep it originality. Where is this coming from? Sack these people with these ideas immediately, before they ruin game completely ;)

I haven't played W3 Gwent but I was drawn to stand-alone Gwent because it looks so different to Hearthstone and everything that is currently available in digital card games market. After Hearthstone most digital card games have been very similar in terms of mechanics (and before Hearthstone there weren't many at all). Compared to traditional card games which I played a lot of (Magic, GoT, Netrunner, WH40K Conquest, Kult, Vampire the Eternal Struggle to name a few) there is simply not much diversity. Now is a great time to introduce new and unique games simply because thanks to Hearthstone's success people will try them out. I hope Gwent will be one such game and successful enough to enable more developers to try making something unique instead of another Magic/HS variant.

Back to new card design - you're right. It would fit Hearthstone's light-hearthed and cartoony art, but not Gwent's. Even so, Hearthstone cards are better designed with different elements spread across the entire card and clearly readable, not crammed into one corner and with busy background behind it. And because the backgrounds are so busy, they had to stroke the icons with ugly, thick black borders to make them visible at all. All things considered, I find the new card designs simply bad and disconnected from the beautiful artwork. And that's coming from a graphic designer, if that's worth anything :)

Neutral ,, I don't mind the banners but they're just a little bigger than they should be and skellige banner is not a good representative of the faction compared to others

Moat importantly we can't make out what type of a card it's since the frames are very confusing

Top Bottom