What came first, Keanu Reeves, or the turning the story entirely about Johnny Silverhand?

+
Was having Keanu aboard make CDPR so starstruck that they decided to make the game entirely about him or did they run into dev problems and needed a narrow plot and Keanu was brought in to distract the players. What do you guys think?

I'm still waiting to finish the game so I can't say but for me personally, I like Keanu in the role. Would I rather have had someone else and the money and effort spent on much much much more important things?

download (9).gif

Was having Keanu aboard make CDPR so starstruck that they decided to make the game entirely about him or did they run into dev problems and needed a narrow plot and Keanu was brought in to distract the players. What do you guys think?
can I ask you a question? are you going for the Guinness world record of how many threads you can create in 24 hours?

I'm still waiting to finish the game so I can't say but for me personally, I like Keanu in the role. Would I rather have had someone else and the money and effort spent on much much much more important things?

View attachment 11094917

Would be interessting how much they paid him, as far as I know is keanu reeves not one of those, who want a million just to show up for a second.

I mean... easy to say, but I would do such stuff for free in his position, except paying me food and hotel etc.

I don't mind Keanu in this role, Johnny character is interesting as well. What I don't like is entire BioChip idea.
It reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda too much. V and Ryder are both nobodies - special just thanks to the "device" in the head.

If you think this is a story about Johnny Silverhand instead of V and their struggle to survive then you missed the point of the narrative entirely. Remove Silverhand from the game and it would feel a bit more shallow and one-dimensional; remove V from the game and you no longer have a game.

V and Silverhand are meant to be important to each other, but ultimately, the focus of the game is very much on V.

To be honest, it feels like OP is reaching for reasons to be upset.

Last edited:
I don't mind Keanu in this role, Johnny character is interesting as well. What I don't like is entire BioChip idea.
It reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda too much. V and Ryder are both nobodies - special just thanks to the "device" in the head.
Honestly the entire story is basically a rehashing of Johnny Mnemonic, which incidentally was a Keanu Reeves film. In the film the guy is an information dealer. It takes place in a similar Cyberpunk style world and Keanu plays a character named Johnny, who is basically a corpo who moonlights as a black market information dealer. Very similar to how the game works, he has a part of his brain that was replaced with a storage drive that can hold chips of data that he can then take and deliver to clients. In the movie, he takes a blow to the head, the chip is damaged and the information is 'leaking' into his brain, which is threatening to kill him, and the entire plot revolves around him trying to get the chip/info out of his head before it outright kills him. Turns out the info in his head is also somehow something that will bring about world peace or some other convoluted nonsense.

The point is the entire script for this game is basically just lifted straight from Johnny Mnemonic, only this time Keanu is playing the part of the lethal data instead of the guy who is trying not to die.

If you think this is a story about Johnny Silverhand instead of V and their struggle to survive then you missed the point of thr narrative entirely. Remove Silverhand from the game and it would feel a bit more shallow and one-dimensional; remove V from the game and you no longer have a game.

V and Silverhand are meant to be important to each other, but ultimately, the focus of the game is very much on V.

There's no 'reaching', you just don't (or don't want to) see it.

Yes, this is a story of V's survival, and that's probably what they truly set out to write, but somewhere along the way they decided to sacrifice it for their Johnny Agenda - for Johnny's survival over ours (or maybe it was always about Johnny and they just bullshitted us about our choices and importance for 8+ years). The only reason why V feels important in any way is because we're playing him/her and he/she is the vessel for Johnny. We think the character is meant to be important because we're playing it, and that's the way it should be. But it's the illusion of importance, and it seems some players (like you) did indeed fall for the illusion.

Consider how many choices the player makes in the main story arc that actually effect the outcome of their story? How many of our actions outside of the main story even have any importance considering the outcome of the story? And this in a game that was touted - for years - as and RPG where your choices matter. Hell, it's an open world game, which is meant to be all about freedom and exploration, but saddled with a largely linear plot with only the illusion of choice. What's the point of survival if we just die in the end and nothing good has even come of the time we were alive, least of all for us? Instead, our options are, kill ourselves, let Johnny take over our body, or live for 6 more months and then die. Survival is about some measure of hope that you struggle for, but they even took that away by dictating we have 6 months.

And we're not meant to be upset about that?

Is this the new (very low) bar we have to set our expectations to for gaming these days?

EDIT: and to demonstrate how little V matters, consider that you could swap her/him out for literally any other girl or guy in night city who is somewhat competent at getting the job done and, saddled with Johnny, we would have had much the same experience, and the same outcome.

Starting to feel some people just want to blame Keanu for the state of the game, because I've seen a lot of people basically use this to attack him.

When the true fault lies entirely with CDPR management that is known to be subpar at best, with issues back in W3 and even reported by staff in 2018 for development troubles on CP2077. More than likely the game was suppose to have a lot more but management really, really overestimated the teams ability and underestimated the impact of Covid. Wouldn't be a first.

Starting to feel some people just want to blame Keanu for the state of the game, because I've seen a lot of people basically use this to attack him.

When the true fault lies entirely with CDPR management that is known to be subpar at best, with issues back in W3 and even reported by staff in 2018 for development troubles on CP2077. More than likely the game was suppose to have a lot more but management really, really overestimated the teams ability and underestimated the impact of Covid. Wouldn't be a first.
Oh, I don't blame Keanu for any of this. I just think it's kind of funny that the story of this is basically just the plot of two of his films. Johnny Mnemonic being the main plot with the martyrdom from his role as Neo thrown in as the ending. The story is not as inspired as people seem to think it is.

I don't think Keanu had as big a role in the issues with the game as people are attempting to make out. Anyone with 1 and 1/2 brain cells can look at the game and see that SO MUCH more is wrong with the game. I don't believe Johnny made any real difference and honestly HE IS the only thing redeemable about the game other than the romance paths that have EXCELLENT story arcs. The STORY isn't the problem. It's the fact that they had such inefficiencies due to poor MANAGEMENT nothing else. If they would have hired someone who had any sense and any talent they could have saved the whole game, but instead they doubled down on GREED and let that lead them forward.

Well, that shit backfired.

If you think this is a story about Johnny Silverhand instead of V and their struggle to survive then you missed the point of thr narrative entirely. Remove Silverhand from the game and it would feel a bit more shallow and one-dimensional; remove V from the game and you no longer have a game.

"Spoiler"
It's clear the game isn't about V and their gole to survive cause it if was there would be an ending just for V to survive and not die, be absorbed by alt or die later from cancer cause their body became silverhands.

Plot feels rushed and cobbled together, but what there is of it is great.

Maybe its just that the plotline with Johnny was the only one that was actually complete enough to be in the release version.

The only way this is about Keanu is in the way CDPR used him to try to get the audience to feel a certain way about Johnny, but the blame was never on him. He was just fulfilling an obligation - it's not his fault that/if CDPR decided to use his reputation for their own ends and it blew up in their faces.

Let me make this clear, this has only ever been about the regrettable choices CDPR made, and the way they mismanaged PR to present the product in a way that was deceptive of the end result. Would have been better if they realized their limitations during the process and delayed the game for another two years. People would have been furious, sure, but I wonder if it would have been worse then the dumpster fire they're dealing with right now.

Especially regrettable because there are aspects of this game that are just amazing, and others that have the potential to be at that level. :/

Except it does a very poor job imho to establish that. My main motive in the game was to get rid of him.
Post automatically merged:

The only way this is about Keanu is in the way CDPR used him to try to get the audience to feel a certain way about Johnny, but the blame was never on him. He was just fulfilling an obligation - it's not his fault that/if CDPR decided to use his reputation for their own ends and it blew up in their faces.

Let me make this clear, this has only ever been about the regrettable choices CDPR made, and the way they mismanaged PR to present the product in a way that was deceptive of the end result. Would have been better if they realized their limitations during the process and delayed the game for another two years. People would have been furious, sure, but I wonder if it would have been worse then the dumpster fire they're dealing with right now.

Especially regrettable because there are aspects of this game that are just amazing, and others that have the potential to be at that level. :/
That is very true. Let's be fair, there is literally no need to drag Keanu's name into all this kind of debates. He has nothing to do with CDPR's decisions.

Speaking of Kerry, I really really want that 2018 gameplay reveal version of Chippin' In because it's just so great and there are only fan versions around. With CDPR never releasing it. Big sad.

i have no idea to this matter, but i think even Dave Grohl would be good as Johnny Silverhand.
Personally, back when playing the CP2020 pnp, we always imagined Johnny to look like a mixture of Billy Idol and some blond mullet wearing fashion model... not to say I don't enjoy the "grunge" Johnny, Reeves depicts, but still... not really an old school rocker boy. So, yea, I very much believe he made the character, and not the otherway around... but who's to say, really.

Top Bottom