What the next CDPR game needs is...

+
What the next CDPR game needs is...

Dungeon exploration.

While playing the Witcher 3 i was in awe of the detail they put in everything. The gameplay was good, the story was immersive, the crafting system... was OK :) But all the while i was thinking that it was missing something. Yes the world was huge and you could explore stuff for days, but it was missing something that Skyrim had in spades. Dungeon exploration. Finding a dungeon and going in, exploring every nook and cranny... i wanted that. The dungeons give the player a sort of linear progression that is a much needed respite from the open world outside. Knowing that you have explored everything in that closed off area and found all the goodies to be found gives a sort of accomplishment feel that an open world full of question marks can't give you until you've finished the whole game 200 hours later. Although The Witcher 3 had some caves they were in no way on the scope of Skyrim's dungeons where you could get lost for hours and that gave the game a much bigger feel for its world.

I REALLY want to see CDPR put a lot of... well they won't be dungeons but maybe "building explorations"? Maybe not on the scope of Fallout 4 (i think they overdid it there), but the way Skyrim did it. They do that and i think people will find their new Elder Scrolls/Fallout fix since Bethesda seem to be only interested in milking their ages old formula of open world games (Fallout 4 was basically an expansion to Fallout 3 which was just a modern take on Skyrim).

Well that's about it. I hope CDPR take note from the good things that games like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout do, which is the way open world vs linear exploration is handles and just make it better :)

If I remember right, CDPR have said that they had two major projects, (The Witcher and Cyberpunk,) and two minor ones, (undisclosed,) that were being worked on about 2 years ago. I'm sure they have something in the pipe already as a goal for when they finish up 2077.

If I remember right, CDPR have said that they had two major projects, (The Witcher and Cyberpunk,) and two minor ones, (undisclosed,) that were being worked on about 2 years ago.

I remember the same (I remember talks about a AA game or games).

They already released The Witcher Adventure Game. Suppose that's the otherone of those "minor" projects.

Dungeon exploration.

I liked W2 (haven't played W1 or W3 ... yet) "dungeon exploration". In spite of the fantasy elements Witcher is based on reality, and no one is going to build some huge dungeon complex and stock it with critters that have nothing to eat besides each other.
While I'm a fan of dungeon crawling in say D&D that game makes no real pretense to "reality". Witcher is "low fantasy", D&D "high".

While I'm a fan of dungeon crawling in say D&D that game makes no real pretense to "reality". Witcher is "low fantasy", D&D "high".

Whoah. Whoah. Just because you like DnD more is no reason to say it's better than Witcher. Jeez. Prejudice much?

Whoah. Whoah. Just because you like DnD more is no reason to say it's better than Witcher. Jeez. Prejudice much?

No, Sarukhar, he's right.

Low fantasy is fantasy that is dark and gloomy, has and usually focuses on fewer fantasy tropes. High fantasy is fantasy that has huge magic effects , is usually more about good and evil and relies heavily on fantasy tropes.

High Fantasy: D&D

Big spells like Fireball and Wail of the Banshee that can slaughter entire armies. Most story are about killing bad guy X. The setting does not feature slavery, inequality, prejudice or any other darker tones.

Low fantasy: Witcher

More emphasis is put on sword play, keeping the magic to a minimum. As a result, the fire effects can not kill a huge amount of drowners instantly like a fireball could in D&D. Although I am still playing the Witcher 1, it seems the story is more about human greed and darkness than killing the big bad guy. Non-humans are treated as second class citizens and are victims of oppression and tyranny. Has a famous quot "You mother sucks dwarf cock" . Which would never find a place in D&D games.

Mix: Drago Age:Origins.

Has the big spells like Inferno that can cuase massive damage, just like high fantasy does. The plot revlves around killing the big bad Arch demon, but also has a strong central plot of corruption and betrayal with Loghain taking control of the throne. While dwarves are treated well by humans, they have the castless, where anyone who is born to a criminal inherits the title and as a result are not considered citizens. Elves live in ghettos where they are destitute, and often are servants of humand. Either that or they live in the wilds where they often chased away by local villagers.

As a result it has elements of high fantasy, and low fantasy.

High and low are definitions about what type of fantasy game it is. Not about the quality of the product. Just like light and dark humor.

Forum veteran
Witcher 2 is linear, people complain that it's not more open. Witcher 3 is open, people complain that it's not linear enough. Never change, internet.

No, Sarukhar, he's right.
Yeah, Saru. That Suhiira fella is totally on point.

Witcher 2 is linear, people complain that it's not more open. Witcher 3 is open, people complain that it's not linear enough. Never change, internet.

Yeah, Saru. That Suhiira fella is totally on point.

I've always liked him. Fine fellow, despite that weird body hair issue.

I'm not complaining. I loved W3, GOTY for me. All i'm saying is that for an open world game to feel better a certain amount of linear exploration is needed. That's why Skyrim and all the Elder Scrolls games were so successful. That's why AC2 was the best of the AC series as well, because they had more "dungeons" where you explored for certain artifacts. That's why MGS5 is so addictive, because all of the missions take place in places with defined boundaries. Dungeon exploration gives balance to open world games, it feeds a certain need that can't be satisfied by huge open spaces filled with question marks. That's all.

I don't want linear games with some freedom in them. I want open world games with SOME constraints in them. There's a difference between the two.

I don't even know if dungeon exploration should be called linear progression. It's a closed off space that emulates the open world above it in the way that it can be finished any way you want it (non-linear), but it can be finished in a faster time frame.

While playing the Witcher 3 i was in awe of the detail they put in everything. The gameplay was good, the story was immersive, the crafting system... was OK :) But all the while i was thinking that it was missing something. Yes the world was huge and you could explore stuff for days, but it was missing something that Skyrim had in spades. Dungeon exploration. Finding a dungeon and going in, exploring every nook and cranny... i wanted that.

Yes, I missed this too actually.

In Skyrim I loved that you could stumble upon some hidden elven or dwemer ruin with no story leading you there. Sometimes you would discover a story inside the dungeon but often not, but it was still a thrill to explore the dungeons and go deeper and see what laid beyond the next room. And sometimes there was a feeling of real wonder when you came upon a great forgotten hall with fires around it, or a great cave several hundred meters below the surface. This is something which the witcher 3 really could have had more of.

To be honest one the biggest complaints I have about the W3 is that that everything that isn't either a "main story quest", a "side quest" or a "contract" is very generic. All of them are pretty much "here's a key and a letter, find the chest", or "kill these monsters to free the town" or "kill the monster to get the chest". There is A LOT of content in W3 and I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that the developers are lazy or didn't give us enough content. Because there is a lot of unique and lovingly made content in W3.

But at the same time I feel the world is so vast and so rich that it's such a shame that all we find in it are these generic map markers and you really do get bored of them very quicky, at least I did. I would have loved this part of W3 to be more like Skyrim where you can stumble upon an old abandoned mine and there's no quest for it, but the mine is there, it's now abandoned, maybe spiders have taken over the mine, maybe at the bottom there's a flooded mine shaft... and maybe, just maybe if you swim down the mineshaft all the way to the bottom there's an air bubble there... and you can swim further and find another cave.... and come up somewhere completely different on the map in a stream inside a waterfall.... and maybe just maybe this is also a bandit hide out... and you kill them and take their loot and emerge from their hidden lair feeling... yeah, that was a cool place I found!

There's litterally nothing like that in W3, everything that is worth seeing is associated with a quest. Sure, it's a great way to make sure that all the players get to see all the content worth seeing. But at the same time W3 can feel very empty and a little lifeless when you stray off the beaten path.

I've come across so many cool places in Witcher 3, old castles, streams, giant oak trees, misty forrests.... and I really felt that "damn, this place is so cool. They should have done something more with this place. Maybe a troll living under the bridge which you can play gwent with or something, anything really".

Last edited:
I don't understand. So are you saying there should have been more quests in the nooks and crannies of the world, or that there shouldn't have been so you can imagine what happened to the place before you stumbled upon it?

Yeah, sorry. That didn't come out right. Changed it.

Cyberpunk takes place in a post modern world. I'm afraid there aren't any "lost ruins" to discover.
At best I'd expect to discover a new club tucked away in some back alley.

At best I'd expect to discover a new club tucked away in some back alley.

"Welcome to the Dungeon handsome, are you ready to discover the pleasures of the pain?"

What next CDPR RPG needs, is a 10 fold... no, scratch that... 100 fold stronger character system. Dungeons I don't really care about. There will probably be all sorts of office and apartment buildings to peek at, and that's frankly enough for me. Too many RPG's are about dungeon delving. It's an old trope and a welcome one in certain settings, but it'd only be refreshing to have a game that had none.

Top Bottom