What’s coming in Update 2.0: Revamped Police

+

Lilayah

CD PROJEKT RED

Take a look at one of the new features coming to Cyberpunk 2077 in the free Update 2.0 for the base game, which will be available on current-gen consoles and PCs: a revamped Police system!

We rebuilt the system on clear, simple rules: criminal activity is punished, runners are chased and cyberpsychos are flatlined, no questions asked. All features in the system are designed to support clarity and the simple but expanded prevention loop.

The punishment for those who don't abide by the law must be severe — we cannot encourage cyberpsychos to run around the city, guns blazing, even in Night City. UI will clearly indicate all states of the prevention system — Heat. For those who reach the maximum Heat (5 stars), we have a surprise Max Tac mini-boss experience including various archetypes of them. For those who decide to run, we prepared engaging car chases and roadblocks to make the escape more difficult.

The new NCPD will have no mercy once they catch you. They will not accept any bribes from you nor your surrender.

As a player, you will know when the police are not after you anymore. NPCs will leave the scene in a way that is natural and intuitive. You can lose them by running away from the crime scene on foot or driving away. Make sure to stay out of their sight!

All the features we have in store are meant to be fun to play with. We don't want to stop you as a player, punish you too often or break your flow — quite the opposite. We designed and prepared the new systems to create a fun, meaningful experience with a simple rule — don’t do the crime if you can’t take the heat.

Last edited:
Yeah, this... this isn't even lore accurate, guys. Not just in the timeline preceding the game, but lore actually IN THE GAME.

I could understand not introducing bribery... even though that would add depth and a cost to your actions, and also it's already available as an 'okay' mod. NCDP jumping straight into combat though... They're just going to riddle a stolen Caliburn or an Aerondight with bullets? Why didn't they just light up V and Jackie in the Street Kid intro then?

The totality of work done is greatly appreciated, but you guys have a really bad habit of breaching new ground and rising to new heights while neglecting basics.

We rebuilt the system on clear, simple rules: criminal activity is punished, runners are chased and cyberpsychos are flatlined, no questions asked.
Gulp, what about when you accidentally bump into an NPC with your vehicle when attempting to drive in your garage?
Those gonks don't register anything, and die zapping even when grazed with 1 mph, immediately notifying the cops.

Gulp, what about when you accidentally bump into an NPC with your vehicle when attempting to drive in your garage?
Those gonks don't register anything, and die zapping even when grazed with 1 mph, immediately notifying the cops.
There is a simple solution for that. Put a vehicle exit warning light that stops citizens. It's true, it's annoying to enter building 10 with the car.

That's the biggest issue I have with the police in the game since release.
Some person jumps on the street out of nowhere and I get swarmed by the cops.
According to this little piece it's all working as intended.

What I would like clarification on is to what degree has the revamped police been integrated into existing quests.

We know - based on comments from both Pawel and Gabe - that police will react to your actions in quests, and according to Gabe their sensitivity has been toned down during quests, presumably to prevent the system from becoming annoying rather than fun.

But the details on that have been sketchy as best. A similar thing can be said about gang involvement, something even Lilayah herself tried to get Gabe to clarify during the stream.

I understand wanting to leave something for the players to discover by themselves, but not addressing details/comments that vaguely hint at features or mechanics can easily lead to dissapointment when player imagination goes too far. Precisely the same thing - only on a much larger scale - happened before the original launch.

Furthermore, what about entering shops/apartments? Will that still cause all heat to vanish?

It's alright, everyone. We got this.
Scissors assembled the ditched systems for this game well over and year and a half ago; leaving behind plenty of pieces that can be integrated into the 'new' one. It even came with gangs calling for reinforcements, something that seems to still be lacking in this update. Couple that with bribery and you've got a complete experience.

We'll take it from here.

Last edited:
Some fans have talked about the new system, what we have been able to see in the videos and we are happy to be able to have a more complex system. I suggest taking a small step at least:

* Remove the commission of instant crime (unless the police are there) because it is not very credible and add a delay time in which the npcs notify the police by phone or if the victim is alone that Trauma Team drones come to inspect (If Trauma Team ends up taking the body it would already be impressive). Once the crime is recognised, the star is activated and the police are coming to the area.

* Inactivation of NCPD missions for a while (the duration will depend on the severity of the crimes)

* If the police identify us but we manage to escape, a fine will be imposed whose notice will reach us on the mobile subtracting money from our account. We will be able to bribe NCPD by performing one of the NCPD missions without receiving XP or the rewards that will be owned by the policeman we bribed.

Colleagues, if I am wrong or incomplete, provide ideas and opinions

It's alright, everyone. We got this.
One person, unpaid, built a system for this game well over and year and a half ago; leaving behind plenty of pieces that can be integrated into the 'new' one. It even came with gangs calling for reinforcements, something that seems to still be lacking in this update. Couple that with bribery and you've got a complete experience.

We'll take it from here.
Relax. We don't know how exactly the police and gangs will interact. The communication from CDPR could definitely be better. Either let us know exactly what is coming, and therefore manage player expectations, or don't communicate anything at all.

I'm also assuming you're referring to the mods that restore the police system and gang reinforcements. What a lot of people apparently don't know is that the upcoming police system and vehicle combat were both meant to be in the game at launch. Although, to be fair, neither system was as expansive and layered as the versions we're getting in 2.0, but to call them "new" features is still a bit of a stretch. Every person who bought the game had the remnants of the original systems in the very game files they paid for, and I bet this is partially why we're getting the new versions for free in 2.0.

But to say that the mod author "built" that police system is plain wrong, sorry. He simply unlocked and bug fixed what was already in the files -- same goes for the vehicle combat.

Relax. We don't know how exactly the police and gangs will interact. The communication from CDPR could definitely be better. Either let us know exactly what is coming, and therefore manage player expectations, or don't communicate anything at all.

I'm also assuming you're referring to the mods that restore the police system and gang reinforcements. What a lot of people apparently don't know is that the upcoming police system and vehicle combat were both meant to be in the game at launch. Although, to be fair, neither system was as expansive and layered as the versions we're getting in 2.0, but to call them "new" features is still a bit of a stretch. Every person who bought the game had the remnants of the original systems in the very game files they paid for, and I bet this is partially why we're getting the new versions for free in 2.0.

But to say that the mod author "built" that police system is plain wrong, sorry. He simply unlocked and bug fixed what was already in the files -- same goes for the vehicle combat.
Yes. I went over this in another thread in detail, those systems are there and it's perplexing they would drop them entirely. I should not have used the word 'built', but assembled rather.

Nothing to relax about as there is no anger, just disappointment they made these decisions while letting other's know it doesn't have to be this way on PC at least. Not even the Street Judges of Mega City One kill people on the spot for a hit and run.

Nothing to relax about as there is no anger, just disappointment they made these decisions while letting other's know it doesn't have to be this way on PC at least. Not even the Street Judges of Mega City One kill people on the spot for a hit and run.
Depends on the Judge and the media. Latest movie, Dredd does exactly that. Wipes out the whole van after a hit and run, and then tracks the last guy down to offer him either life in an iso cube (hellish) or death. Death was the better choice, really.

I guess you could make the argument that he didn't immediately auto murder the last guy, but in the end he did. NCPD are not, typically, much if any nicer than Judges. And they are much much more corrupt.

Depends on the Judge and the media. Latest movie, Dredd does exactly that. Wipes out the whole van after a hit and run, and then tracks the last guy down to offer him either life in an iso cube (hellish) or death. Death was the better choice, really.

I guess you could make the argument that he didn't immediately auto murder the last guy, but in the end he did. NCPD are not, typically, much if any nicer than Judges. And they are much much more corrupt.
As much as I like DREDD 2012, it was much more a fan fantasy trip on steroids than an allegory as the source material. Though that may not entirely matter for this argument. Hit and run was one of the charges, but those guys were murderers trafficking Slo Mo and they attempted to murder a judge admist a high speed chase. They racked up all the felonies in real time. Hit and Run would usually net you a long period in the cube if you surrendered without further incident.

In Night City the police don't really give a f*ck. Shot on the spot for killing a corpo in downtown I can buy. Any reason - I would buy that. A bum near the carnival encampment in Rancho Coronado - No. Just no. They're on the take for the corpos, vastly more corrupt as you mentioned - meaning they're up for sale if you've got the eddies. NCPD are a contracted mafia, they're only fascist when you bankroll them.

NCPD are not, typically, much if any nicer than Judges. And they are much much more corrupt.
Beside, we learn on news, that recently, shooting on limbs is now, simply considered as warning shoot.
So indeed... Cops shoot first, just to warn you :D

The new NCPD will have no mercy once they catch you. They will not accept any bribes from you nor your surrender.

Well, since the release we had the police wanting to kill you for any smallest accidents. We were not able to bribe them or surrender for this whole time. Which is exactly I kind of expected to arrive in this revamp. This sounds like literally the same police we have there now, except having Max-tac as the mini-boss at the max level heat. And if that is true, it's... I don't know.

Why not include bribery? Or atleast a bailout system? If you mean to let the players keep the flow in the game, then death is NOT how you manage that. Sure, I can understad that Night City is extreme and even medics have guns to shoot you down if you act up, but it is quite weird to have a statement in there that goes against the very nature of preventing players flow in the game. No one really likes to die and having to reload a save.

An easy way to fix this would be to have the 1-2star police have guns to stun the player with instead and if you do get stunned you get the same kind of animation as you do from death, but the pop-up instead has option for bailout or to wake up at a police station some time later depending on ceverity. Then have game state flags for timed quests, if you have a quest that is urgent then the options could be a bailout or the cop just kills you for the sake of not breaking possible progression.

I dunno, feels weird to have these posts and knowing this will be the last patch and nothing will be done about it.

Top Bottom