why are town guards so high level

+
why are town guards so high level

I notice that all the guards in the towns are atleast twice the level of geralt. I'm guessing the reason for this is that the developers don't want players to kill the town guards. Even though it doesn't make alot of since because geralt is supposed to be a super bad ass witcher. In the previous games you could kill the guards but there would be a penalty like in the last one you had to pay money or die instantly. I remember in the first witcher they would send a headhunter after you. But they seemed to of dumped all that instead just making the guards higher level so that its impossible to kill them. I think this doesn't make any since. If geralt is so much weaker than the town guards why is he needed at all? Why should the baron even hire geralt if the barons regular men are so much higher level. Couldn't the baron just let his own guards do the job for him? Why does the emperor even need geralt to find ciri if his nilfgaardian troops are level twenty-five couldn't they just go find her alot easier?

Geralt is supposed to be a bad ass experienced Witcher who has been to hell and back multiple times so why do you start the game as a lvl 1 witcher noob with no real skills or equipment? Because game mechanics and story are two different and often separate things. In the story there are no such things as levels and whatnot that's a gameplay mechanic that's separate from the story

The guards are that level because gameplay wise if they weren't they wouldn't be a threat and couldn't fulfill their function. During missions where you are supposed to fight the town guards they are leveled appropriately for the mission but in open world play they are supposed to be able to stop you from wreaking havoc so they need to be an appropriate level to do so

Geralt is supposed to be a bad ass experienced Witcher who has been to hell and back multiple times so why do you start the game as a lvl 1 witcher noob with no real skills or equipment? Because game mechanics and story are two different and often separate things. In the story there are no such things as levels and whatnot that's a gameplay mechanic that's separate from the story

The guards are that level because gameplay wise if they weren't they wouldn't be a threat and couldn't fulfill their function. During missions where you are supposed to fight the town guards they are leveled appropriately for the mission but in open world play they are supposed to be able to stop you from wreaking havoc so they need to be an appropriate level to do so

witcher 1 geralt knew no signs and only had basic skill in the 3 fighting types. witcher 2/3 still knows all signs. witcher 2 geralt build upon the fighting styles with parry and adrenaline and such. still has adrenaline and parry in witcher 3 :p thats how you got to think about it

witcher 1 geralt knew no signs and only had basic skill in the 3 fighting types. witcher 2/3 still knows all signs. witcher 2 geralt build upon the fighting styles with parry and adrenaline and such. still has adrenaline and parry in witcher 3 :p thats how you got to think about it

Geralt in the beginning of The Witcher 3 story wise still should not have been so weak as to get his ass handed to him by wolves and whatnot like he does in game. But again that's because it's a game and levels and difficulty setting are game mechanics divorced from the story

It's like how lvl 1 shirtless dude dies in one slash but lvl 25 shirtless dude takes a dozen stabs to the face with a longsword and keeps going. Story wise any person should just die if you stab them in the face but game mechanics wise it doesn't work that way

Last edited:

U actually just hit the nail on the head. You see the problem is this design is flawed because it restricts the players freedom. This is supposed to be an open world sandbox game where you can do whatever you want whenever you want. Yet still have to deal with the consequences of your actions. By making the town guards super high level the developers are essentially saying you cannot break the law while your in a town. This is restricting the players freedom and thus makes the wild hunt the most restrictive game in the witcher series. Frankly I prefer the design in the first witcher where you could kill the guards. However, the consequence was a headhunter would be sent after you. I really liked this design because geralt was able to kill anything in the game including town guards. Yet he wasn't unstoppable because the headhunter could kill geralt. I had hoped the headhunter would be brought back in the wild hunt but I guess they decided not too.

U actually just hit the nail on the head. You see the problem is this design is flawed because it restricts the players freedom. This is supposed to be an open world sandbox game where you can do whatever you want whenever you want. Yet still have to deal with the consequences of your actions. By making the town guards super high level the developers are essentially saying you cannot break the law while your in a town. This is restricting the players freedom and thus makes the wild hunt the most restrictive game in the witcher series. Frankly I prefer the design in the first witcher where you could kill the guards. However, the consequence was a headhunter would be sent after you. I really liked this design because geralt was able to kill anything in the game including town guards. Yet he wasn't unstoppable because the headhunter could kill geralt. I had hoped the headhunter would be brought back in the wild hunt but I guess they decided not too.

Wrong it is an open world rpg not a sandbox game. You want a sandbox game stick with Skyrim or Tamriel online or any of the many games sold as sandbox games!

Also you can kill the guards if you want to and you bother to learn combat. I really don't get why some of you even play rpgs when it seems you would be happier with a first person shooter!

As for your claim that the game is boring, again stick with games that aren't rpgs and not based on books. Don't like the game simply trade it in and buy Call of Duty or something more suited to your button mashing kill everything style of gameplay, simple. :D

It's a story. A tale. A ballad. The combat and overall experience of playing the role as the White Wolf is simply your keyhole into watching it all play out. They had to implement such measures (like starting off as a weak, ill-geared witcher) to make things interesting for those who want to play through a progressive RPG, as well as those who couldn't really care much for the lore as a whole. If we were to jump in to the gear Garelt would be rocking, as opposed to starter (and subsequent mediocre) gear to get the player up and running, I'm pretty sure he'd be able to best anything (with enough preparation of course!).

You need to play the game as more of an interactive novel, as opposed to going by numbers and levels.

I've been planning to kill the Baron's Henchman within the town for like 3 weeks now, leveling up just a bit more before I attempt it....

After the Baron got gone, I talked to the Sargent who was in charge now and he admitted to me he's gonna just basically loot and pillage the area as he sees fit.... therefore I do not like these dudes and thus they must die.... I'm pretty sure they'll just respawn after I kill them.... still though... i want to kill them all for reasons above

Geralt in the beginning of The Witcher 3 story wise still should not have been so weak as to get his ass handed to him by wolves and whatnot like he does in game. But again that's because it's a game and levels and difficulty setting are game mechanics divorced from the story

It's like how lvl 1 shirtless dude dies in one slash but lvl 25 shirtless dude takes a dozen stabs to the face with a longsword and keeps going. Story wise any person should just die if you stab them in the face but game mechanics wise it doesn't work that way

I never played the first 2 games and was totally fresh to "sword-fighting" when I started. Never been killed by wolves, but drowners got the best of me a few times.

Guards here are not invincible. Before you mess with guards, make sure you save game or loose money. And make sure too you are equipped with exploding shield, better armor and weapon.

They are high level because they were called Guards?

Guards here are not invincible. Before you mess with guards, make sure you save game or loose money. And make sure too you are equipped with exploding shield, better armor and weapon.

They are high level because they were called Guards?

Wanna beat the town-guards? Upgrade Igni all the way and use the normal Igni-mode.. as soon as your stamina is back use it again. That way you never even have to mess up your sword. There's not really any reason to pick a fight with the guards though.. I dont think I've ever found a diagram or manuscript where guards are watching.

Igni -> classic OP -> boring

Hahaha!

Its really fun messing with witch hunter in Novigrad and practicing my Rend skill.

Last edited:
guards respawn anyway
if you leave after slicing em up, go around the corner, come back, and voila... jesus visited them
...so there's no really point in killing them as far as I've discovered

I think they could handle attacking Guards a bit better.. for example, by an automatic animation where after killing few guards few dozen guards would surround you with polearms and force you to surrender.. then you would have to pay the fine or be killed (game over, reload menu)

I think they could handle attacking Guards a bit better.. for example, by an automatic animation where after killing few guards few dozen guards would surround you with polearms and force you to surrender.. then you would have to pay the fine or be killed (game over, reload menu)

Actually this is a good idea. Like a GTA style "busted", needing to pay bail to get out of jail. Arbelists on the roof being the reason geralt surrendered. Though it also removes the ability to run away... But then again, you are not suppose to attack the guards anyway.. so

they could make it that if you steal, and guard sees you, he will attack you, and if you kill him (instead of running), more come and will surround you.. or similar.

I really feel Baldurs Gate / Baldurs Gate 2 did this properly. You can kill town guards but then your reputation takes a hit and higher level enforcers start coming after to you and you have a bounty on your head until you clear it with the church.

This way you aren't in the situation where every guard in the game can 1 shot you but talk like scared children and need your help against some 2 foot tall nekkar in a warehouse.

Because game mechanics and story are two different and often separate things. In the story there are no such things as levels and whatnot that's a gameplay mechanic that's separate from the story
This separation between gameplay and the story often tend to hinder the gaming experience you know. There should have been at least some reasonable setting or explanation through the gameplay as to why Geralt is so weak at the start. Once you finish the story Geralt is now so much stronger that he faces most enemies in the world like breeze. Why? Because of that Wild Hund incident? First time I fought one of the guards and saw their level I was like, a couple of dozen town guard could decimate the Wild Hunt.

This separation between gameplay and the story often tend to hinder the gaming experience you know. There should have been at least some reasonable setting or explanation through the gameplay as to why Geralt is so weak at the start. Once you finish the story Geralt is now so much stronger that he faces most enemies in the world like breeze. Why? Because of that Wild Hund incident? First time I fought one of the guards and saw their level I was like, a couple of dozen town guard could decimate the Wild Hunt.

Witcher 3 makes for a terrific action adventure but a fucking dire statistic bound rpg. The levelling requirements and system have done nothing but irritate me with the game - such a pain given the quality of everything else. I'd have been happy to have seen them ripped out and for the game to rely primarily on player skill. All it's done is get in the way of the narrative and flow.

Top Bottom