Why IMO, The Witcher 1 is the best in the series - As fast as possible

+
Why IMO, The Witcher 1 is the best in the series - As fast as possible

Just my own opinion. But as amazing as TW3 is, it's no TW1. For anyone thinking to try it or can't seem to get into it, I recommend sticking with it. It really is a brilliant game.

Ambiance

TW1 has it in spades. When among the poor and suffering, you really do feel their pain and it makes you feel off kilter. From the old ladies complaining about old age and creaking bones, to the beggars exclaiming they are literally starving. Then onto foul mouthed banter you hear at the Inns, which look really dusty and downtrodden. The music fits in perfectly and adds to the atmosphere, deepening the immersion.

TW2 was the worst for this IMO, it felt more like a movie at times. TW3 is awesome for this too but there is something about Open World that diminished the immersion for me. Your imagination makes up for the places you can't reach in the closed world of TW1 but it still feels like you have enough room to explore. In Open World, you can usually go to that place on the other side of the wall so the intrigue is removed, bit by bit.

Gameplay / Mechanics

Technically TW1 was the worst out of the three and it was definitely more clunky but it felt like it had more depth and I do prefer this to the others, specifically the following:

Talent Tree
Had different branches for steel, silver and signs. All of them could be upgraded fully if you spend enough time levelling.

Combat
You had three fighting styles per sword. One for heavy armour/slow attackers, one of fast/agile opponents, and one for when you were fighting multiple enemies. Each style had it's own animations (so 6 in total) and, could easily be switched mid fight to suit the opponent. This was very fun to play, especially later in the game, when you have been able to make some progress on the talent trees because, this enables you to link up different attack stages if you attack at the right time.

Drinking
You could get totally smashed with people. This allowed you to sometimes gather extra bits of info on missions, other times it was just fun for the dialogue. Geralt would sound drunk and would stagger all over the place and remained so for quote some time.

Bribing
You could bribe people with orens, gifts or show them special items like rings in order to gain access to buildings or gain additional information.

Day/Night cycle
This lasted the longest in TW1 and it genuinely changed how you play the game. Different people would be available at night that wouldn't be available during the day. Doing activities would change depending on what time of day you did it. A lot of monsters would also only appearing at night so you felt much safer during the day and are always a bit more on edge at night because this is when drowners and vampires appear.

Alchemy/Meditation
Could only be done while meditating but you could only meditate beside a fire.

Sex Cards
They were a great artistic touch to the game. You never got to see anything really but the resulting Sex cards were pretty cool lil collections to have. I think red made more of an effort on the RPG side of things with this kind of stuff and it really enhanced the overall experience.

I agree with you. The story in the first game reminded me of the books. Witchers are among the common folk, they are mistreated and so on. It's funny that in the Witcher 3 some people tell Geralt that he is nothing while in the previous game you were BFF with Foltest. It just sounds hollow. Plus the decisions you took in TW1 felt more personal. The sex cards and the romance options as a whole were more fun also, but they had to be toned down because of the mainstream. Same for the drinking. It would be great to have an Eastern European version with all this and more. :D All this is great, but imagine if the second and third games have took the same path. It would be stupid. I think that TW2 and now 3 expanded in the right way and are both amazing games.Great point about the day/night cycle though. In the first game you really had to be sure that you want to walk alone at night. There were more monsters bandits and other stuff. It was great and it's too bad that was removed from latter games.

I ended up making a change to my US copy of the game so I could have the censor free cards.
I really enjoyed the game a lot. There are two series of games that I keep stocked in my Steam gifts for friends.

1) Witcher 1 and 2.
2) Mount&Blade Warband and Mount&Blade Napoleonic Wars.

A fine evaluation, @Lenkorn . The original Witcher definitely has its strong points. It is a much more, shall we say, intimate game, with its narrow selection of locations; however, though these are limited by necessity, they still reflect strong personality, and attention to detail. The music is also particularly well suited to the atmosphere. It is a slower game, to be sure, though. The pacing of the game's rather lengthy dialogues, and the often methodical combat, do tend to slow it down overall, and some of the back-and-forth between the Swamps and Wyzima can become monotonous. However, once the narrative, which is perhaps the strongest point of the title, advances to Lakeside and Murky Waters, the story, and the scenery, enter a new level, which shines outs as exceptionally memorable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to see others appreciate TW1. It seems that TW1 gets forgotten by many who mostly talk about TW2 as if it is the only thing that preceded TW3 and I think more noise needs to be made for TW1 as it is such a brilliant game.

I fully agree with everything you said @RivenII - It is definitely a slower game but I really felt like I soaked it up and I loved it. Lakeside really did look awesome, and it still does :) The lightning and water effects stood out.

@Unit1 - I think you are right regarding the story fitting in more with the books. They really did do a great job on the story.

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to see others appreciate TW1. It seems that TW1 gets forgotten by many who mostly talk about TW2 as if it is the only thing that preceded TW3 and I think more noise needs to be made for TW1 as it is such a brilliant game.

I fully agree with everything you said @RivenII - It is definitely a slower game but I really felt like I soaked it up and I loved it. Lakeside really did look awesome, and it still does :) The lightning and water effects stood out.

@Unit1 - I think you are right regarding the story fitting in more with the books. They really did do a great job on the story.

What struck me as rather interesting, was that, in the recent PAX Prime discussion panel (the link to which may be found over in 'News'), they revealed that they'd originally considered Berengar for the hero figure, rather than the preconceived character of Geralt of Rivia. How would that have affected the success of the series, I wonder?

Returning the strengths, because the game was smaller, and thus just a bit more personal, the consequences of the player's choices seemed more thoroughly realised, and bore noticeably more weight in influencing the world around Geralt.

What struck me as rather interesting, was that, in the recent PAX Prime discussion panel (the link to which may be found over in 'News'), they revealed that they'd originally considered Berengar for the hero figure, rather than the preconceived character of Geralt of Rivia. How would that have affected the success of the series, I wonder?

Oh I will need to check that out. A lot of people did not know of The Witcher so may not have affected things that much. But in saying that, you probably wouldnt have got away with stories with Dandelion, Triss, Yen, Ciri and Zoltan.

But IMO the sex cards(as pretty as they are) were pretty stupid.

They are very artistic, rather fun, and a somewhat innovative method of portraying Geralt's memories of the ladies he's known; however, I can always very easily see how people have viewed them as silly, stupid, or chauvinistically masculine in their sexual objectification of women. But I choose to simply regard them as quite nice pieces of tastefully erotic art.

I can't really evaluate how would that affect, but I am so glad they decided for Geralt, he is IMO one of the best game protagonists ever. Having so much book background helped a lot, but CDPR did an amazing job with him. Geralt is a huge part of why I love TW.

The OP made some good points, the atmosphere in TW1 felt really authentic, with each area having its own unique vibe, the story was great, I loved the characters, music was excellent.... I only disliked the combat, it almost kept me from playing the game at first, but the story kept me going enough to accept the combat, and even enjoy it at times(but rarely).

Also, the best looking armor in entire series:

---------- Updated at 10:52 PM ----------

Returning the strengths, because the game was smaller, and thus just a bit more personal, the consequences of the player's choices seemed more thoroughly realised, and bore noticeably more weight in influencing the world around Geralt.
Screw the open world.

I have to agree with everything so far . You knew from the opening cinematic it was going to be something different . One of the biggest things also was how you didn't have much of a clue as to where the ending was going once you thought you were in the homestretch . One more final twist .
I didn't mind mucking in the swamps much it made the opening of the other areas more spectacular .

Also, the best looking armor in entire series:

---------- Updated at 10:52 PM ----------

Screw the open world.

The armour indeed had wonderful character, and told a bit of a story by itself. As for Geralt's appearance, though, I don't know, I rather like how they changed the structure of his jaw in the later games; however. the eyes in the first game are by far the most suitably unsettling.

Ay, although the 'open world' has its selling-points, it may have been just a wee bit too ambitious. When we compare it with the well-crafted, detailed environments of the two previous titles, there seems rather too much open space in the third. While this can make for very beautiful and pleasant wanderings, it can likewise become a bit monotonous. I admire the amount of attention they paid to natural details, such as trees, grass, rocks, clouds, and, water, but some of the inevitable repetition, required to build such a vast world, ironically also diminished the grandeur, and the personality of the setting.

Last edited:
Good summary there, @Lenkorn. I actually likely the combat from one, with timed clicks to continue the combo. I was sad it didn't continue in the sequels, but the rest of the story made up for that. I did especially like how using the wrong style results in minimal damage to enemies, and when you changed, the noticeable difference the style made.

Miss the skill trees though, that don't have to be be 'activated/slotted' to be used.

@RivenII - You have a great way with words, sir. My thoughts exactly, on everything you have said.

Thank you very much for the compliment! That's very kind of you!

I don't especially dislike the combat system, and, once you manage to perfect the timing, it can be quite rhythmic; however, it does require some time to execute the attacks, and occasionally some glitches can throw them off. I do really enjoy the ability to leap over enemies, though, and spin out of striking-range! Geralt's evasive tactics visually appear much more competent, and professional, than in either of the later games! In Assassins of Kings, he just gets very dusty, rolling out of the way, and, in Wild Hunt, he's lucky he doesn't trip, or bump into something, while side-stepping.

Last edited:
Top Bottom