Why is my game running so slow?

+
Why is my game running so slow?

I'm running a computer with an Intel i7 950 3.07GHz processor, have 8GB RAM, and have Nvidia Geforce GTX 980. I think that should allow me to play the game on high without significant problems. But my framerate is so low when in densely populated areas, especially Novigrad, that it's unplayable. It's like <20fps, and its not just slow, its stuttering badly. I tried changing a few settings and turning hairworks off but I still have big problems. It seems to be focussed in Novigrad. I know it's a graphics intensive area but surely my system should handle it? All my drivers are up to date so I'm not sure what to do.

You should be getting much better performance than that. Ensure your power settings for Windows and your 980 are set to "Maximum performance".

If that's not it, try disabling any overlay features through Steam or Galaxy.

If that's still not it, and you're using Geforce Experience, be sure you have disabled all of the Nvidia Streamer Service processes through Task Manager.

If that's STILL not it, post again. Horray, forums!

Addendum: What resolution are you running the game in?

Just out of curiosity is that a laptop? The Desktop version of that setup should run fine but if it's the mobile version that's a different story.

Just out of curiosity is that a laptop? The Desktop version of that setup should run fine but if it's the mobile version that's a different story.

Even if it is mobile tech, I think he should be seeing at least 50-ish FPS in cities if running at 1080p.

How do other newer games perform? Check task manager for any background programs running at the same time, try prioritizing the witcher 3.exe in TM if the above mentioned ideas don't work, try reinstalling the game, clean installing video drivers.

Top Bottom