Will The Witcher 3 Retail also have a digital key/install

+
As I know, CDPR reads their forums and is doing their best to satisfy fans of their masterpieces, so I hope they will read this thread.

IMHO, the best option for Steam haters/fans is the possibility to choose and activate only 1 key: Steam or GoG and do not to pretend for both.

That's how I see it:
I buy the retail disk (in my situation this is collectors' box of TW3), open it and, during installation (after or before), I may choose to either link this copy of the game with my Steam account or with GoG account or just play without any services/platforms. Once it is activated on Steam/GoG, the other version will not be downloadable. This option is not hard to implement and it will be suitable for all.

Hope this message will find CDPR well!

I think a simple GoG key with an advertisement for GoG Galaxy would work. Them giving a steam key wouldn't be the best idea when they could get more people using GoG. Honestly, if I can easily get patches then I'm not gonna care much over a key not being included for a digital copy.

Will TW3 digital backup at GOG be available with the purchase of the retail copy?

As a PC gamer digital is really the only way to go but I still want the retail copy as a trophy. It comes with map and OST which I want physically. Will we get a backup copy like with TW/TW2 digitally free when buying the disc?

Judging by TW2 release, I'd say possibly yes but not right away. However CDPR didn't confirm it yet.

Also, keep in mind that by buying the retail copy you give some support to the "publishers" of the physical copies (i.e. those who print physical discs and mange their distribution to physical stores) which in turn dictate all kind of nasty restrictions to CDPR like regional pricing and other such stuff which backfires even to the digital channels. So if you want to reduce that influence and rather give CDPR more room to set their own rules like fair pricing, then buy the digital copy only (on GOG, since it supports CDPR directly and is DRM-free).

Last edited:
No promise of a backup copy via GOG has been made.

The digital backup copy on GOG was instituted as a fix for problems in distributing the TW2 EE. Although it was generous and popular, it should not be taken as a promise that future games would have that feature.
@Gilrond is right, though. When you buy from GOG, all the proceeds (except the transaction costs) go to CDPR, and it promotes the GOG/CDPR way of doing business. When you buy a physical copy, most of the proceeds go to the distributor and retailer, and it promotes their way of doing business.

I must admit as someone buying games long before digital download became feasible, I've had a difficult time changing that habit. I wouldn't class myself as a Collector, but I do appreciate a nice book, map, box, whatever, and love my attic being full of old games (was that a metaphor for memory?). But it is time to move on, GOG is the right way to go, they provide digital versions of everything which can then be printed or burned to the media of your choice. If your printer is insufficient, laser printers are everywhere these days, and with very little effort you can produce a physical copy of any aspect yourself, and tbh you can often do it better / bigger (for instance the map).

+1 to getting it from GOG.Even though i would have gotten it cheaper on steam.Supporting CDPR goes without saying :cheers:

As a PC gamer digital is really the only way to go but I still want the retail copy as a trophy. It comes with map and OST which I want physically. Will we get a backup copy like with TW/TW2 digitally free when buying the disc?
From the Witcher 3 FAQ page at GOG
The backup program for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is not planned any time soon, for sure not around release time. It was a one time action for The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. It might happen sometime in the future, but, currently, it's not in our plans.
http://www.gog.com/thewitcher3/en

If you chose for a collector's edition, it doesn't entitle you on another copy. Wether that would be on steam or gog. Besides, why would they give out keys for free to their rival/competitor on the digital market?

Boxed Copy with Steam Key available?

Hello Dear Witcher Community and CD Projekt Red!

I would like to preorder the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (PC of corse), but I have a serious problem here.
If I buy this i need a boxed copy with all things that release contains.

BUT.

I would like to run the game on Steam. I dont have optical drive anyway.

:hmm:

Is it working like (for an example) Deus Ex Human Revolution where i got the box and a steam key within?
Or if i buy a boxed copy of Witcher 3, I will have to suffer with the DRM-free variant?

If you know the answer, please tell me.

I thought I ended this topic with my last post in this thread. But here I go again.

The Witcher 3 is being released with no DRM at retail. That means no codes in the box. No activation of the game. No online activation of the game. Just install and play. Don't ask for DRM in a NON DRM product.

The Witcher 3 without DRM in retail amounts to one game. A steam code amounts to one game. If The Witcher 3 had a Steam code in the box at retail, that would amount to 2 games. You ain't going to get 2 games for the price of one.

Deus Ex Human Revolution at retail came with Steam DRM. The game on the disc could not be played without using the Steam code. So therefor that amounts to one Steam game.

If you want the goodies in the retail box or the goodies in the retail collector's edition box of The Witcher 3 and you also want the Steam code, then all you have to do is sell the retail game and buy the Steam DRM game from Steam.

The retail PC gaming market doesn't need DRM. So thank you CD Projekt RED for not forcing DRM on retail and thank you for not forcing DRM at your digital distribution market.

Yeah i found this one out already.

It is a shame.

Guess i need to wait for a steam sale to pick this title up.
There is no point in buying the game if it has no steam support.
And I really won't buy optical drive again for that.

I am sorry for that, i have really waited for this game.
I dont think there is a big need of DRM free games today.
Sure there are some old guys out there, who says the Vinyl disc is the best and so on,
but i dont think everyone shares this nonsense.

Well i will not buy a Collectors Edition, because Xbox gets better,
not buying the regular boxed release if i cant activate on steam
and definitely not buying on steam because the price there is 30% higher than the
boxed version.

But thanx for the information on that.
Anyways In the Deus Ex box you could find the disc, the stuff, a steam code, AND an OnLive code as well.
Now thats a release (what i think) worth a thank you, not a release what the ppl cant use at all expect for decoration.

But no offense. It is just my opinion. I am happy if you are happy with a no DRM version.

Tone it down, please.

"Sure there are some old guys out there, who says the Vinyl disc is the best and so on,
but i dont think everyone shares this nonsense."

and

"Wow. pompous, arrogant, delusional and let me not forget the word cheap.

It amazes me how Steam people share this type of nonsense. There is no reasoning with these type of people. There is no logic with these kinds of people."

are examples of what needs to be toned down.

Last edited:
Yeah i found this one out already.

It is a shame.

Guess i need to wait for a steam sale to pick this title up.
There is no point in buying the game if it has no steam support.
And I really won't buy optical drive again for that.

I am sorry for that, i have really waited for this game.
I dont think there is a big need of DRM free games today.
Sure there are some old guys out there, who says the Vinyl disc is the best and so on,
but i dont think everyone shares this nonsense.

Well i will not buy a Collectors Edition, because Xbox gets better,
not buying the regular boxed release if i cant activate on steam
and definitely not buying on steam because the price there is 30% higher than the
boxed version.

But thanx for the information on that.
Anyways In the Deus Ex box you could find the disc, the stuff, a steam code, AND an OnLive code as well.
Now thats a release (what i think) worth a thank you, not a release what the ppl cant use at all expect for decoration.

But no offense. It is just my opinion. I am happy if you are happy with a no DRM version.
You could just buy it on GoG (Getting it cheaper than steam if you own TW1/2 on GoG which you can do by entering your CDkeys. Google The Witcher backup. CdprojektRed also gets a way bigger percent of that money) and then add the game's EXE to your steam library. It will even give you the steam overlay. $47.99 on GoG with a free copy of Neverwinter Nights and other goodies Vs $59.99 on Steam with less goodies. Personally I will be buying the physical copy if I can and then adding the .exe to Steam.

Witcher 3, does it come with a key?

Hello everyone,
I preordered a retail copy of the witcher 3 at amazon.it, i know it should be drm free, but i was wondering does it come with any sort of key to download it off a client/site? (in the case the dvd scratches or it's no more usable).
Another question, how does drm free work exactly? I've always played console and now i'm recently on pc, so i don't even know what drm free is exactly; all my games come with a steam, origin, u-play key, which client does it use?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I've seen it doesn't come with a steam key, however what happens if the cd scratches or it's no more usable?
Do we have any kind of online backup available?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I preordered a retail copy of the witcher 3 at amazon.it, i know it should be drm free, but i was wondering does it come with any sort of key to download it off a client/site? (in the case the dvd scratches or it's no more usable).
Another question, how does drm free work exactly? I've always played console and now i'm recently on pc, so i don't even know what drm free is exactly; all my games come with a steam, origin, u-play key, which client does it use?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I've seen it doesn't come with a steam key, however what happens if the cd scratches or it's no more usable?
Do we have any kind of online backup available?

DRM-free means there's no requirement for online registration, which also means that you can't assume there'll be a digital backup. They did one for the first two games through GOG, but not until a few years after the initial release. There definitely hasn't been any announcement of one.
DRM-free also means you can make a copy of the disk, or copy it onto your PC, so you should do that if you need a backup.

There's always the possibility of an hard drive fail or dvd erases (also i don't like to backup 40gb only for a game when i could have it available for download). At this point i'm uncertain between the steam copy with 7 euros discount and backup, and the retail with extra stuff but no backup.
Can i contact the support about it in any way? Thanks

Another thing, i don't need to use the dvd while playing, right? It's only needed an install on my hard drive?

Last edited:
Top Bottom