Will The Witcher 3 Retail also have a digital key/install

+
It's funny to me that people are asking for Steam or GOG codes in retail copies of The Witcher 3.

No DRM mean no codes in the box, no activation of games, no online activation of games, the games are not linked to no profile or account. So don't ask for DRM in a non DRM product.

The Witcher 3 retail = 1 game. Steam code = 1 game. GOG code = 1 game. If the retail product comes with a Steam or GOG code then that = to 2 games. And you ain't going to get 2 games for the price of one.

If you want the Collectors edition for the all the goodies but you also want the Steam DRM version, then what you have to do is, sell the retail game and buy the Steam version. Yes you can sell your PC version of The Witcher 3. That option is made available because of no DRM. That is a very important feature that comes with The Witcher 3.

Thank you CD Projekt RED for no DRM. The retail PC gaming market needs no more DRM products.

Technically no DRM means unlimited games.

Can i contact the support about it in any way? Thanks
If you wish, but the answer came from GOG themselves - http://www.gog.com/thewitcher3/en (In the FAQ section).
Will I be able to redeem a backup copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com?

The backup program for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is not planned any time soon, for sure not around release time. It was a one time action for The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. It might happen sometime in the future, but, currently, it's not in our plans.

DRM-free means you can copy the DVD. Which would give you a backup. But if you want digital, you may want to consider buying directly from GOG, as it's still DRM-free (unlike Steam), it's supporting the developer, and you may find the price is better.

Another thing, i don't need to use the dvd while playing, right? It's only needed an install on my hard drive?

Correct. That's something else that DRM-free means :)

Ok thanks. One last thing if it's not bothering you too much. How do updates/patches work without a client? Does it use an option on the launcher?
For backup, i just open the disks and copy the content to an external hard-drive?

Last edited:
Ok thanks. One last thing if it's not bothering you too much. How do updates/patches work without a client? Does it use an option on the launcher?

Exactly like in TW2, TW3 will most likely have a launcher where you have the build in optinon for patching ;)

Or if you don t have the gaming PC "online" then you may download the patch exe files manually and patch the game
also manually ;)

(like back in the days... when Games had their OWN patch routines/ manually patching)... ahh glad days
when you still had the feel you own your games XD and your gaming behavior was not monitored hahahaa
and you where not region looked ... or blocked for certain patches to redo censored stuff XD anyway thats not
the matter here :p

to the back up.... yes you may direclty copy the DVD for a digital backup on your PC
or you can use a burning program to do so...
or a progam what can copy dvds into ISO files ... there are plenty of possibilitys out there.
CDPR trusts you.... as you may trust CDPR
so you may OWN TW3 if you buy it...
though we still just OWN the right to "consume" it XD hell that sounds weird XD hahahaha

So long

Last edited:
Ok thanks.You know, i've never owned a drm free game, as i always played on playstation and i got my pc something like 2 and a half years ago; i have the other witchers but they're on steam (and i still have to play them), so still no drm free there, and the updates come through the steam client.
Now the witcher 3 looks really good and the retail edition really juicy (it has been years since i haven't bough a decent retail pc edition of a game, they do not even come with a manual, and the last one, shadow of mordor, even had 5 dvds stacked on a really hard plastic i almost broke them, and the code on the cover... it took me minutes to find it, and i was about to call the reseller). Now i'm looking forward to play it with my 970, i hope at least 60ps on medium-high 1080p

Last edited:
Ok thanks.You know, i've never owned a drm free game, as i always played on playstation and i got my pc something like 2 and a half years ago; i have the other witchers but they're on steam (and i still have to play them), so still no drm free there, and the updates come through the steam client.
Now the witcher 3 looks really good and the retail edition really juicy (it has been years since i haven't bough a decent retail pc edition of a game, they do not even come with a manual, and the last one, shadow of mordor, even had 5 dvds stacked on a really hard plastic i almost broke them, and the code on the cover... it took me minutes to find it, and i was about to call the reseller). Now i'm looking forward to play it with my 970, i hope at least 60ps on medium-high 1080p

Actually GOG does the same thing with the backup copies of both Witcher 1 and 2 . Create an account and using your Steam keys claim the backup copies and once they`re in your account they are there permanently to download as many times as you wish . With no logging in ever to play your games .

Backup ISO file for my Storage drive will be excellent :) kudos for no DRM plus i might make a DVD Copy just to play the paranoid side.
:thumbsup: Cheers CD Projekt RED

Hello guys, i'm new here and I thought this thread will be perfect to ask my question. So i bought a new laptop mostly for the witcher 3 and I dont even hava a cd-rom in it so i won't be able to install the game from a DVD. I really wanted to buy the retail version of TW3, so if i do will i be able to install the game anyway (like using a code on gog or somehow gain access to the digital version) ? Or maybe i shouldn't buy the retail version and buy the digital instead?

There are no plans for a GOG backup copy, like they did with Witcher 1 and 2. It would be a safe bet to go and buy digital if there's no way for you to install it from an optical drive. :)

One option would be for you to copy the files from the disk on portable storage device, with the help of a PC that has an optical bay.

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt Collector's Edition (PC)

I want to have contents in the CE with Steam key, is that possible ? I rather keep the game in my Steam library than having a physical CD and serial key.

Retail goodies and Steam version

I prefer my games to be on Steam, but I really really want to get pre-order retail goodies, and I really don't want to buy same game all over again, or just live in fear of losing my DVD.

Is there anybody with same problem? And also perhaps with their planned solution?

Just copy the game files from the DVD to your HDD. Problem solved. ;)

Or buy a retail version now and buy another version on Steam in a few months for very little money during a sale (for storage/collection purposes).

Could be a solution, but I just really really prefer to have all my games on Steam, and till it will go on low low acceptable sale, it will take ages :\

Well, in that case you'll have to decide whether you want to have the pre-order goodies (are there even some?) for the retail version or the game on Steam. There is no solution to that dilemma I fear.

The map, soundtrack, etc in the physical edition isn't a pre-order incentive. It's the standard retail copy. The only pre-order incentive I see around here is

A wolf medallion keychain at Gamestop

and

A comic book at Amazon (Pretty sure the same comic book you get for Pre-ordering on GoG)

I just decided to buy it on GoG since it's cheaper on there. I can make a physical copy out of the GoG version too if I want.

Short pre-order question

Hi.
I would like to ask if i pre-order the game for example on steam , i'll get the boxed version, and i'll also be able to download the game from your server, or steam server then activate it with the retail key?
Asking this because i would like to have a physical copy of the game, but mostly because of the map and other stuff with it, but since i don't have an optical drive i would need to get the iso files or something.

Hi.
I would like to ask if i pre-order the game for example on steam , i'll get the boxed version, and i'll also be able to download the game from your server, or steam server then activate it with the retail key?
Asking this because i would like to have a physical copy of the game, but mostly because of the map and other stuff with it, but since i don't have an optical drive i would need to get the iso files or something.

Steam is a digital distributor only. If you "buy" a game on steam, you only get a digital copy. You never get something physical from it. If you want a boxed copy of the game you either buy it from sides like amazon, where its says that it is a boxed copy, a regular store, or buy it from GOG and copy the data onto a large USB or SD. CDPR have, as for now, stated that there wont be a digital back-up copy made available to you, if you bought a physical copy, like it is the case with Witcher 1 & 2 but that may change in the future.

A question about the witcher 3 collector's edition

Hey guys :hatsoff:

My question is about steam and the collector edition of the game ...when i receive it can i activate it on steam ?

Top Bottom