Windows XP user get with the times....or get left behind....

+
Direct X 11 offers so much more than DX 9.0C. Like Direct Compute.

Anyway, I'm on Windows 7, I plan on moving to Linux eventually, sorry. GNU/Linux gah. But before I do that Linux(whatever) needs to become more user friendly. I don't like that when I go to install my graphics card drivers on Linux, 50% of the time it breaks everything and 50% of the time it half works, requiring crazy workaround to get things working.

So far, Linux to me, is for people who use Linux, those Linux users can use Linux for other purposes, but if you're not a Linux user, then you can't use Linux for other things... this is getting confusing fast but maybe someone will get what I mean.

I see all Microsoft's products in different categories of garbage anyway, so XP/7 are the tolerable kind while Vista/8 are the untouchables. Seven is actually quite decent as far as Windows goes, ignoring the whole privacy and restrictions issue.

But seriously, I don't think Windows XP supports any of the recent hardware. I don't think it is a viable option to play games anymore, at least not anything newer than 2011 or so. But sometimes I feel like setting up a good old Pentium III 1.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM and GeForce 2 MX just for retro gaming. I may have access to a 17" CRT too. I would install Win XP there :p

ah c'mon folk, don't you remember the days you had to fix lots of computers in xp times. 7 was miraculous compared to xp, but even 7 consumes so much system resource and bulky. 8 is way faster and consume significantly less system resource to operate.

8.1 have a better start menu than rest of the serie but once you get used to modern UI you won't look for it just like me.

GuyN said:
If by "adapt", you mean "uninstall and reinstall Windows 7", then yes, I agree with you.

Windows 8 gets everything wrong for desktop users. The absence of visible menus accessed by a short and consistent gesture, the arrogance of operating system functions that take over the entire screen, the demotion of the desktop and desktop applications to the back of the bus all indicate that the entire operating system was designed by a small number of foolish engineers who neglected to take any of the real uses of their product into consideration.

It is the worst abomination in user interface technology since, well, Unity.

Still you can install classic shell and you have same interface as windows 7 (or even better) with some extra responsiveness.

I moved to Win8 now, installed Start menu program and well all is good. Now i have to reinstall all vidya.

Windows XP was such a legendary Windows . I used it till the beginning of 2013 . Now I switched to Windows 7 . Don't plan to go on 8 until MS goes back to their roots and stop copying Apple .

Umair2012 said:
Windows XP was such a legendary Windows . I used it till the beginning of 2013 . Now I switched to Windows 7 . Don't plan to go on 8 until MS goes back to their roots and stop copying Apple .
You want them to go back to MS-DOS?

I don't want windows 8. They showed me screenshots and it looks more like a smartphone OS than a PC OS.

I actually have sentimental values for XP. Only reason I went to Windows 7 is because my friend made it look exactly like XP.

Though if Windows can look about the same and can have the same interface I'm using right now AND make my computer a lot faster... I might go for it. Especially if I don't need to format my drive to get it installed. I would still want the option to boot up Windows 7 because I might be disappointed in it.

Guest 2091327

Couple of points.

Wikipedia is usually an excellent source of information, and usually reliable. Obviously use caution when reading about political affairs and such. As for the quoted numbers, that is from an actual survey, it's not like some 10 year old is putting in some numbers for a laugh. As some others noted, however, it's for all users, which include business and such.

I love XP and still do, but when I upgrade the computer I probably have no choice but to switch to a dual 7/Linux. It will be a sour switch, but that is sadly life when dealing with M$. Hopefully by the time they are trying to force people over to 8 or whatever new crap they have put out, Linux will be good enough to play games on. Win 8 is seriously naughty, and I won't touch that thing. Strange how their OS keep getting worse for each new iteration. Imagine how neckdeep in shit MS would be if there was a genuine competitor in the desktop market.

Everything on wiki should be double if not triple checked. With regards to OS used by gamers I strongly believe steam is far more reliable and steam is rather clear on OS usage.

At the moment, Windows 7 is working best for me. I hope future games that they won't force Windows 8 onto me. The starting UI suxs badly that it resembles my PC like a tablet.

If i want a tablet, i'll get a tablet which i already owned an Ipad.

Top Bottom