Witcher 3 Freezes the PC

+
Hi everyone. I have a problem that only appears when I play Witcher 3. After playing the Witcher 3 for 4-5 hours, game starting to freeze occasionally. After that the freezing situation gets worse, it becomes almost unplayable. Then I try to quit the game to restart but even the menu freezes. I cant not even quit the game so I try alt+tab, it freezes again. After waiting for couple minutes I reach to my desktop. But still can not do anything, because my PC completely freezes. Literally whenever I try to click something like even right clicking the desktop takes 5 minutes to respond. So I force shutdown my laptop by holding the power button.

This thing only happens when I play Witcher 3. I normally have like average 50fps on Ultra, changing the graphic settings to low doesnt solve the problem. My GPU is %65 used, CPU is %35 used when I play the game. CPU heat is below 90'C most of the time. What should I do?

My specs are;
GTX 1060
i7 8750H
16 GB 2666MHz Rams
My Windows is on my SSD
Witcher downloaded on my HDD
All drivers and Windows stuff are updated.

If you need any other info, please reply.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you're having issues, but hopefully we can sort this one quickly.

CPU heat is below 90'C

Wowowow. Starting here. This is an extremely high temp -- even under load. Idle temps should be around 35'C, and under load you should be around 60'C. An occasional spike into the 70+ range is not necessarily anything to panic about, though it should not be happening frequently.

If you're living in the 80'C range -- that's a problem. This could definitely be causing heat throttling, resulting in a system hard-lock.

1.) Has it ever forced an automatic shutdown?

2.) Are you overclocking? If so, which hardware and by how much? What is your cooling solution?

3.) Have you noticed these temps in any other titles? What's your idle temp?

Sorry to hear you're having issues, but hopefully we can sort this one quickly.

Wowowow. Starting here. This is an extremely high temp -- even under load. Idle temps should be around 35'C, and under load you should be around 60'C. An occasional spike into the 70+ range is not necessarily anything to panic about, though it should not be happening frequently.

If you're living in the 80'C range -- that's a problem. This could definitely be causing heat throttling, resulting in a system hard-lock.

1.) Has it ever forced an automatic shutdown?

2.) Are you overclocking? If so, which hardware and by how much? What is your cooling solution?

3.) Have you noticed these temps in any other titles? What's your idle temp?
Hi again. You were right, overheating was the issue. GPU is fine but my CPU gets overheated when I play Witcher 3.

So I took a NotebookCooler from my friend and also I manually set my laptop's own fan speed to maximum. I played the game for like 7 hours and except the little fps drops nothing happened. Its nothing compare to the thing I had before. So problem solved. Thank you for helping.

Great to hear! Glad it was a quick fix. Another tip that's worked for me in the past:

Get 4 water-bottle caps and use them as feet to create more of an air gap under your laptop. Always be sure you're playing on a flat surface. That added bit of breathing room often makes a world of difference. (~10'C for my RoG laptop -- no exaggeration.)

Top Bottom