Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The game looks great on PS4 and is one of the best looking games on PS4, not sure what you are talking about. And what games on console look better than W3 especially open world ones. Draagonage does not come close. I would say this looks better than blood borne and blood born is levels and not an open world. It doesn't look better than 2nd son and that is open world.

None in terms of open world but the best looking PS4 game is still the tech-demo The Order 1886.

@Witcherman
Me to...the game is really great. Conversation mode seems to have subsuface on, selfshadow & GI. I dont get it why they turned this off in gameplay, it cost 5 - 10 fps. Geralt at night looks so flat. I have recorded transition and when you speed up you can clearly feel and see that transition is recorded inside engine. like mixing faders. Transition ocurs in two steps to be presicely. Very slow, like when you want to hide something. :)
I won't deny conversation mode definitely ups the quality of several things, but that is 100% without a doubt NOT global illumination. It's just different lighting. Directional light is maybe a smidge brighter. The bloom is way higher. The fog is higher. The depth of field is higher. It appears the IBL shaders use a more even lighting probe or some additional fill lights have been turned on. I've noticed the fill lights turn on and off between the game and dialogue personally. The fill lights are there to assure that dialogue is well lit no matter the time of day or weather. But these fill lights are not GI.

Anyway, the one thing definitely not present in any of those images is global illumination. Global illumination is bounced lighting. I can spot bounced lighting a mile away, and even tell you if it's more than one bounce. I think maybe you are mistaking Image Based Lighting for GI. This game definitely uses IBL, and not just in cutscenes. The game calls them "environment probes" as evidenced in the INI values ForceInstantEnvProbeUpdate
and EnvProbeLightsMaxDistance. I am guessing that the game has a fairly sparse grid of these probes which essentially shoot a spherical map of the area in order to convolute a diffuse IBL. This does give you a general feeling of GI, but it's not even remotely close.

Also, if those images are yours, in the captions you say the game is currently not using dynamic lighting. I think you're confounding two ideas. Dynamic = changes. The lighting in this game changes, as in it's not static (baked). Global illumination is also not necessarily dynamic. Global illumination can be baked. In fact there are entire companies build around baking GI.

Last edited:
After playing the ps4 version and actually impressed with how it runs and looks, I've come to conclusion that their is way to much pixel counting going on. Have fun chasing your tails with graphical arguments. Time to go enjoy the game my friends. Oh and ps ps4 version looks great but I think it's very dependent upon the quality of TV folks have.

I put 56 hours already into this game. Just becuase we dicuss graphics here do not mean we are not enjoying the game. In fact, very much the opposite. We enjoy the game, hence we want it to be even better. Think about it, if the game suck, why would anyone bother how it looks. I wouldn't even bother to play.

The Swamp was better, more fog and atmosphere darker, but that was the looks of that build. Now the actual game looks the same with less fog and clear, but watter looks better and the environment is still sweet to eyes, maybe more realistic even. The realistic looks of the world are kept in the game and seems to be the main topic of its graphics.

So how swamps or anything else looks is matter of tastes and, the swamp is the most difficult part for my PC to handle, FPS drops more than other places, so optimization is well done in the game that looks amazing, like anything i have ever played.

As i said, this game is the best i have ever seen.

I am confuse, you mean the final game has SSS on grass or the trailer? In the trailer, I could believe some simplify form of SSS may be used. I do not disagree that SSS can are use for more than just skin. I am just saying SSS are used most often in Skins & translucene objects as SSS is simulating of translucency. Its use in skin, because we have a thin layer of very subtle tranlucency.
In the trailer, or in that scene specifically since the foliage looks better than what we have. It could be anything though. I just wanted you to know how you were wrong about the shader in general. Several of games use it.
This image also maybe had it, notice how all the leaves and grass are lighted differently depending on how much light is one them. I don't know for sure but I don't think our game's foliage ever gets lighting like this. A lot of the shrubs and grass in my game look like they're missing shaders during the daylight.
http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-25398-14.html

Being honest, the game looks better in vanilla than tweaked. I tried everything and just change the contrast and colors, the game ends looking worst. What really makes an improvement is the 1.04 patch.

We have to get used to "downgrade" talk in any game, because the way games are optimized changed i guess, not meaning real downgrades like other games.

so i managed to load skellige weather presets into novigrad ( they are simple CSV files ), some look pretty cool, the snow look weird, without actual snow on the ground ... it give novigrad a more colder feel, am trying to find the lighting config files to see if its possible to load the lighting settings from the cutscene into normal zones

If somebody can bring the swamps looks of the 2014 gameplays, that would be great, but it looks like the game would be heavy there for the graphics cards.

None in terms of open world but the best looking PS4 game is still the tech-demo The Order 1886.

The order isn't even game and you cant even interact with the world. Its basically a bunch of QTEs. Any game can look that good if you cant do that much. W3 is easily one of the best looking games on the PS4, its laughable to claim its doesnt look good on ps4

The order isn't even game and you cant even interact with the world. Its basically a bunch of QTEs. Any game can look that good if you cant do that much. W3 is easily one of the best looking games on the PS4, its laughable to claim its doesnt look good on ps4

Yes the game looks great on PS4. But it almost looks identical on PC. While a PC can handle much, MUCH more.
So the downgrade thing is a huge disappointment.

In the trailer, or in that scene specifically since the foliage looks better than what we have. It could be anything though. I just wanted you to know how you were wrong about the shader in general. Several of games use it.
This image also maybe had it, notice how all the leaves and grass are lighted differently depending on how much light is one them. I don't know for sure but I don't think our game's foliage ever gets lighting like this. A lot of the shrubs and grass in my game look like they're missing shaders during the daylight.
http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-25398-14.html

Ok, many game uses it, got it. :)

By the way, The image is retail version or pre release promo screenshot? I do not think the game look anything like that on my PC running Ultra.

Hm, I will definitely admit that there is something fishy going on in terms of the "fully dynamic lighting".

Light sources such as torches, bonfires, ect, those places you can extinguish and light with igni..they cast weird orange "splotches" of light that have hard, unrealistically distinct borders. By that, I mean the light on the ground near the source cuts off very very suddenly.

Also, they don't cast shadows. Bigger, less controversial issue than the above one, which can be debated. Geralt and other NPCs standing by light sources do not cats shadows. Rather, the only shadow comes from the sun light.

Last edited:
There's something clearly weird going on. Look at the grass for example
Cutscene:

Gameplay:

Cutscene:

Gameplay:

Cutscene:

Gameplay:

Cutscene:

Gameplay:

Status
Not open for further replies.