Witcher 3 NG Ray Tracing - GPU PCI-E Bus / VRAM Overload cause of FPS drop/stuttering issue - FIX'ed!

+
But i don't think this issue is related to dx11 mode and without RT there is no other reason and benefits from using DX12 Mode (even u got decress preformance from much lower cpu core/thread usage), especially for older cards like gtx series without rt support.
So they released a Next Gen Update so people play the old version.
The purpose was what to dangle in front of us a nice thing only to take it away after.
Nice.

The next-gen DX11 version lacks ray tracing, DLSS and FSR upscaling, but it has everything else from what I can tell. You get improved grass, water, and draw distance to name a few things. You also get better performance. The DX12 version is a mess right now.

If you think you are running out of VRAM you can get some back by setting Texture Filtering to High Performance. What Texture Filtering actually does is set the amount of compression used by textures before they are placed in memory and can gain you 10% to 20% more space (Depending on the amount of texture data to other data in memory) with a slight degradation in texture quality. At one time that setting was used to gain some performance back when Memory size was under 1 GB and VRAM was even slower than DDR3 ... For instance if I compress a texture from 10 MB down to 8 MB it will transfer out of memory 20% faster however as memory speeds increased by a couple of orders of magnitude 20% faster means maybe a nanosecond and is thus not noticeable. BUT a 10% - 20% gain in memory space is still noticeable. Nvidia especially has really good texture/memory compression and while I haven't checked with the latest generations of graphics cards Nvidia cards always used less graphics memory than AMD for the same settings and resolution by 5% - 10%

Most people don't even know it but Windows always has and still does compress everything it puts into system RAM by default. Personally I don't think it's an actual memory size problem per se but actually a CPU bottleneck issue because it is the CPU that controls the transfer of data between System RAM and GPU RAM and if the main thread controlling memory transfer is tied up at 100% doing something else then no memory transfers back and forth between System Ram and GPU RAM can happen. Also if you are going to try a fixed memory size and I wouldn't recommend that for several reason then make sure it is at least twice the size of System RAM. I monitor my Swap File usage at all times and at 1440p with Ray Tracing on I saw it expanding to over 40 GB and I have had highly modded versions of Skyrim SE grow to over 42 GB on my system using 32 GB dual rank DDR4

@Hose_Tony
This is great sleuthing sir.
Can you link to the performance measuring tools you're using in the screenshots.

BTW, this matches exactly my experience with a i5-12600 and a 3070 TI. Which per their reqs. should play the game with Ultra settings and RT-GI+AO. But, alas, it does not. After playing the game for a while the VRam hits the 7.6GB mark, out of the 8GB limit, and it's "Game Over" for me.

Uninstalled.

@Hose_Tony
Can you link to the performance measuring tools you're using in the screenshots.

BTW, this matches exactly my experience with a i5-12600 and a 3070 TI. Which per their reqs. should play the game with Ultra settings and RT-GI+AO. But, alas, it does not. After playing the game for a while the VRam hits the 7.6GB mark, out of the 8GB limit, and it's "Game Over" for me.

Uninstalled.
HW Info (monitors) and clicking 2x on e.g. GPU temp. it will open window with graph monitoring. of it.
Process Explorer to check shared memory and CPU process usage.
Menutools for pin or transparent any window.
GF Experience for FPS/frame time monitoring, because for me RivaTuner works with HWinfo or without only in DX11 mode, in DX12 couldn't, i tried everything...

@Hose_Tony

Uninstalled.
I'm using a 3070 Ti @ 1440p and with Ray Tracing off and Textures, Details, Terrain and Shadows cranked up to Ultra++++ with a mod and I'm only using between 5.1 and 5.4 GB .... As a Rule of Thumb Ray Tracing adds between 0.5 and 2 GB to VRAM usage ..... Until they fix the CPU threading problem then trying to use Ray Tracing is fool's game ..... It's just not going to be able to efficiently transfer data from System RAM to VRAM when the main thread is maxing out at 100% ..... VRAM may be on your graphics cards but it's controlled almost entirely by the CPU and if the thread controlling memory transfer and management is swamped at 100% doing something else then problems are going to happen

The game isn't flooding the PCIe bus, if anything it is starving it

Last edited:
I'm using a 3070 Ti @ 1440p and with Ray Tracing off and Textures, Details, Terrain and Shadows cranked up to Ultra++++ with a mod and I'm only using between 5.1 and 5.4 GB .... As a Rule of Thumb Ray Tracing adds between 0.5 and 2 GB to VRAM usage ..... Until they fix the CPU threading problem then trying to use Ray Tracing is fool's game ..... It's just not going to be able to efficiently transfer data from System RAM to VRAM when the main thread is maxing out at 100% ..... VRAM may be on your graphics cards but it's controlled almost entirely by the CPU and if the thread controlling memory transfer and management is swamped at 100% doing something else then problems are going to happen

The game isn't flooding the PCIe bus, if anything it is starving it
That still speaks to poor optimization, correct?
How's a console running RT GI + AO without crapping out?
Sure, they drop below 30fps at times, but at least they don't completely bog down to the point of seconds long stutters, with those horrendous frame-times.

Alas, I can't unsee the visual change introduced by RT, specially in indoors scenes.
Besides I've completed this game 3 or 4 times already, so that was really the main reason for coming back.
I've figured out a way to run it with RT by having everything up to Ultra+, except Textures which stay on Low. (Edit: I ended up uninstalling "Low" textures just look horrible).

Last edited:
Same problem here with RTX 3080 10 GB, 32gb RAM 3200mhz and a 8700k i7 at 4.8ghz.

This game has a major memory leak when using ray tracing.

The game will run OKish in Novigrad for about 5 minutes, and then it will just slow down and run worse until it turns into a joke.

My GPU temp is in the 60s, and stay low.
My CPU temp is also good.

This needs to be fixed, because right now ray tracing in this update is completely broken.

The next-gen DX11 version lacks ray tracing, DLSS and FSR upscaling, but it has everything else from what I can tell. You get improved grass, water, and draw distance to name a few things. You also get better performance. The DX12 version is a mess right now.
I play DX11 and I can assure You the performance may be better than DX12, but it is far from good on my PC (i7-9750, GTX 1650) which meets system requirements and can handle other games as AC Odyssey much better. I have mircostuttering with nearly every movement of the camera which realy makes me dizzy after some time. And with NPCs around my FPS drop also drastically. Better performance does not mean good enough performance.

I play DX11 and I can assure You the performance may be better than DX12, but it is far from good on my PC (i7-9750, GTX 1650) which meets system requirements and can handle other games as AC Odyssey much better. I have mircostuttering with nearly every movement of the camera which realy makes me dizzy after some time. And with NPCs around my FPS drop also drastically. Better performance does not mean good enough performance.
Probably even on dx11 is the same VRAM Overlord issue if u have gpu with 4GB or less VRAM. Maybe someone can check that.

Just curious, did anyone notice an improvement with the small update that came out on the weekend of January 21st. For me, it seems to be better, not good enough, but better than before. The dips in FPS over time seem smaller.

I did at least not notice any update. But the performance on my PC is unchanged and really bad. I cannot play the game for longer than a few minutes before the permanent stuttering makes me dizzy. On DX11, not DX12 - and, of course, no RT.

Guys sadly CDPR with Patch 4.01 didn't fixed this biggest issue with Memory leak after over ~95% VRAM is loaded, here is my video showing what is exacly the problem:
In some heavy location VRAM Usage can easly reach over 95% GPU VRAM Usage (if your GPU has lower then 16GB VRAM it may happend very often), then after few secound GPU Bus Usage will be also increasing, because of memory leak that cause of lowering performance. Just one secound increase peak over 95% VRAM usage( even at loading game) is enough to couse this memory leak issue. You can observe this by GPU BUS usage, it will be increased from 15-20% to over 40% (and time after time can increase even to ~80%), it's mean that game just starts leaks memory to virtual memory and won't stop even if your VRAM usage is lower or you load the save agin, untill you restart the game. After restart if you don't cross over 95% VRAM usage in same location u will get much higher FPS. This is biggest issue in W3 NG
and it also my happend just by using only fast travel ( when game is loading VRAM usage is incresing):
In some heavy location VRAM Usage can easly reach over 95% GPU VRAM Usage (if your GPU has lower then 16GB VRAM it may happend very often). When using fast travel VRAM usage is incresing and if it reach over 95% VRAM Usage then after few secound GPU Bus Usage will be also increasing, because of memory leak that cause of lowering performance. Just one secound increase peak over 95% VRAM usage( even at loading game) is enough to couse this memory leak issue. You can observe this by GPU BUS usage, it will be increased from 15-20% to over 40% (and time after time can increase even to ~80%), it's mean that game just starts leaks memory to virtual memory and won't stop even if your VRAM usage is lower or you load the save agin, untill you restart the game. After restart if you don't cross over 95% VRAM usage in same location u will get much higher FPS. This is biggest issue in W3 NG
Even very low CPU Usage in DX12 hasn't ben fixed.... still one Core is on 100% and others just in half or lower....
They only add peformance mode of RT that is even worse or then Optimized RT Mode... I lost my hope for CDPR...

Last edited:
Guys sadly CDPR with Patch 4.01 didn't fixed this biggest issue with Memory leak after over ~95% VRAM is loaded, here is my video showing what is exacly the problem:
In some heavy location VRAM Usage can easly reach over 95% GPU VRAM Usage (if your GPU has lower then 16GB VRAM it may happend very often), then after few secound GPU Bus Usage will be also increasing, because of memory leak that cause of lowering performance. Just one secound increase peak over 95% VRAM usage( even at loading game) is enough to couse this memory leak issue. You can observe this by GPU BUS usage, it will be increased from 15-20% to over 40% (and time after time can increase even to ~80%), it's mean that game just starts leaks memory to virtual memory and won't stop even if your VRAM usage is lower or you load the save agin, untill you restart the game. After restart if you don't cross over 95% VRAM usage in same location u will get much higher FPS. This is biggest issue in W3 NG
and it also my happend just by using only fast travel ( when game is loading VRAM usage is incresing):
In some heavy location VRAM Usage can easly reach over 95% GPU VRAM Usage (if your GPU has lower then 16GB VRAM it may happend very often). When using fast travel VRAM usage is incresing and if it reach over 95% VRAM Usage then after few secound GPU Bus Usage will be also increasing, because of memory leak that cause of lowering performance. Just one secound increase peak over 95% VRAM usage( even at loading game) is enough to couse this memory leak issue. You can observe this by GPU BUS usage, it will be increased from 15-20% to over 40% (and time after time can increase even to ~80%), it's mean that game just starts leaks memory to virtual memory and won't stop even if your VRAM usage is lower or you load the save agin, untill you restart the game. After restart if you don't cross over 95% VRAM usage in same location u will get much higher FPS. This is biggest issue in W3 NG

They only add peformance mode of RT that is even worse or then Optimized RT Mode... I lost my hope for CDPR...
I have told people that they will take a year or more too fix the game. CDPR has lost their credibility completely. They should have left the game as it was.

I have told people that they will take a year or more too fix the game. CDPR has lost their credibility completely. They should have left the game as it was.
Just play the game in DX11. Problem solved. Even though I've never experienced memory leak with my RTX 3080 12GB and I put into the game 50 hours since hotfix 2 released, when I want to experience 120 fps locked in 1440p, I just play in DX11 and it heavily multithreaded and I'm sure there will be sick new mods for it.

I get very poor performance after playing for a while. If I fast travel a lot, my FPS drops down to something like 3-5 and I have to restart the game. It feels like memory leak. However, my VRAM utilization is pretty low in both GPU-Z and Afterburner. Patch 4.0.1 did nothing and I'm pissed off.

1675360201667.png

the DX11 version doesn't have HDR, which kinda sucks because I've been waiting for my HDR monitor before playing the game and now that I have it if I want to play the game after the new update I have to use DX11 to get decent performance...

Last edited:
Even very low CPU Usage in DX12 hasn't ben fixed.... still one Core is on 100% and others just in half or lower....
Thank you.
This is what I came here for.

the DX11 version doesn't have HDR, which kinda sucks because I've been waiting for my HDR monitor before playing the game and now that I have it if I want to play the game after the new update I have to use DX11 to get decent performance...
I have a LG UltraGear 32GN650-B 1440p, 165 hz monitor and if I turn on HDR in Windows it applies on the game, though it is not native but drops a lot on the DX11 version.

Experience on my 3070 TI (8GB), seems to have improved.
It does seem the game unloads the VRAM at some point. I get a momentary drop and stutter, and the game resumes playable framerates.

Top Bottom