Witcher 3- problems with playability

+
Hello. I've purchased Witcher 3 about three years ago and I had no problems neither with launching the game nor with a gameplay. It worked smoothly on medium details and well but not perfect on high. I finished the game as well as both extensions without any problem . Couple weeks ago I decided to play it again but the game wouldn't start. When I pressed the play button on gog galaxy platform there was no reaction. I searched through forums and after couple days of trying I managed to make it start. Turning the integrated graphic card off on my laptop helped but it's not playable now. I had to wait at least 5 seconds for any reaction even for the slightest camera turn and it's on lowest details. It's the same laptop and there were no major changes such as format since I enjoyed the wither couple years ago. Does anyone have any clue how to make it playable again?
Here are some of my laptop details:
System: Windows 8.1
Processor: i7-4710HQ 2.50 2.50 GHz
RAM: 16GB
Graphic Card: GF GTX 860M 4GB DDR5
Cheers.

Did you start a new playthrough or did you continue with an old save game?

Are there any TW3 mods installed? Mods from 3 years ago might not properly work.

Also Microsoft has made quite a few changes to Windows 10 in the past few years, that can cause issues in some cases. It‘s usually a good idea to add expections for TW3 to your antivir/antimalware-program. Also make sure that Windows Security isn‘t blocking anything related to the game.

There appear to be issues with newer Nvidia drivers. Rolling back to an older version (399 or older) might be a good idea too.

GeForce Experience usually has optimized settings for the game. It‘s worth trying those.

I think the nvidia allows you to assign a specific gpu to a program. I‘d do that:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings?

That way you don‘t need to disable your integrated gpu.

Other than that, I‘d close all non-essential programs running in the background. Programs like Fraps, Uplay, or overlays of all kinds can be an issue. Maybe check out the suggestions from the support website: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en/witcher-3/pc/sp-technical/issue/1003/the-game-is-not-launching-2

I think the nvidia allows you to assign a specific gpu to a program. I‘d do that:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings?

This would be my first guess. It certainly sounds as if the game is using your on-board graphics instead of the GPU.

Also, be sure your laptop is plugged in when you play and has plenty of breathing room on a flat, smooth surface. Running on battery and/or overheating can also result in that sort of behavior.

[QUOTE = "devivre, post: 11412493, member: 3830917"] Il semble y avoir des problèmes avec les nouveaux pilotes Nvidia. Revenir à une version plus ancienne (399 ou plus ancienne) pourrait également être une bonne idée. [/ QUOTE]

I think that's a good thing yes !
Post automatically merged:

There appear to be issues with newer Nvidia drivers. Rolling back to an older version (399 or older) might be a good idea too.

I think that's a good thing

thank you I will try to figure this out with your suggestions. I couldn't continue from the old saves because something didn' t match, I had to start a new game. I didn't install any modes either

Last edited:
Top Bottom