Witcher on Linux

+
@Licaon_Kter thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'll check them later.[qoute]some advice:-have the game on a Linux partition (xfs/reiserfs/ext3)[/QUOTE]I do have game on ext3.
-run the game with: WINEDEBUG=-all wine witcher.exe so that debugging info is not endlessly shown in the console, this will give you a slight performance boost
I'm already pipelining output to /dev/null with:
Code:
wine "/home/skimos/.wine/drive_c/Program files/witcher/System/witcher.exe" > /dev/null 2>&1
There is slight performance increase IMO. Maybe there is someone that have this game running almost as good as on windows?

skimos said:
-run the game with: WINEDEBUG=-all wine witcher.exe so that debugging info is not endlessly shown in the console, this will give you a slight performance boost
I'm already pipelining output to /dev/null with:
wine "/home/skimos/.wine/drive_c/Program files/witcher/System/witcher.exe" > /dev/null 2>&1
There is slight performance increase IMO.
i think you should try with WINEDEBUG, since it disables the debug info generation, while your line generates debug info and redirects it to /dev/null
skimos said:
Maybe there is someone that have this game running almost as good as on windows?
i doubt itsince one needs a ~100euro card just to get it working like this, i doubt if any WINE dev has such a card or if it really cares about just this one app( WINE AppDB entries: The Witcher v1.0/1.1a and The Witcher v1.2 )

hmm this really isnt witcher on linux. its witcher on wine. this is fine and all for people who use windows, but i dont; i dont want to and im never going to buy it either.sadly ill probably never get to play this game, even though it really looks great. but there's no way i'm going to go and buy this game when it might work on WINE and will probably run at with performance less than par. the demo isnt a real test to see if it works, either. its happened time and time again where a demo worked and the real game failed and vice-versa. unless an installer is released, probably most real linux users are just going to pass. its not worth it otherwise. likely just a waste of money along with hours of hassle just trying to get it to run.probably the only way ill give this a shot aside from a native installer is when its in the bargain bin.

jyaan said:
hmm this really isnt witcher on linux. its witcher on wine. this is fine and all for people who use windows, but i dont; i dont want to and im never going to buy it either.
why do i need Windows ?
jyaan said:
sadly ill probably never get to play this game, even though it really looks great. but there's no way i'm going to go and buy this game when it might work on WINE and will probably run at with performance less than par.
it's certain that it works with the right hardware, but the performance is not on par
jyaan said:
unless an installer is released, probably most real linux users are just going to pass. its not worth it otherwise. likely just a waste of money along with hours of hassle just trying to get it to run.
what sort of installer? the setup works with WINE, so? there was no hassle to get it workingwhats a "real linux user" ?
jyaan said:
probably the only way ill give this a shot aside from a native installer is when its in the bargain bin.
you want a native installer, or a native game version ?if you don't show as a linux user that you want to buy the game, there is no reason for the devs to consider creating a linux version, running it with WINE and asking for a good native version is a sign that there is a market for a linux versioncrying on the forums that runing the game with WINE is not the "linux way" and that you don't even bother testing the demo will not help anyone

i bet they are as big as with nVidia...but since noone with an AMD/ATI card running Linux/WINE/Witcher has posted...maybe this doesn't even work

Ok on the start I sory for my bad English... :pI run the game but is to slow... How to make the game faster?Wine 0.9.55 (Emulate Windows XP)My computer:AMD Athlon64 X2 4000+2GB RAMPalit GeForce 8600GT Sonic+My system:Debian Sid 64bitKernel 2.6.24-1-amd64KDE//editBIG THX going to Licaon_Kter...Thanks very very much...I read your information and make the game working faster xDNow i can play Comfortable ....

That quick tutorial http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/11/directx-90c-on-linux-with-wine.html really have boosted the performance (but still it's worse compare to windows) When I tried to export your registry settings I couldn't run any wine app (like winecfg, regedit or wine itself) so I stayed with "the default" one. Another issue have emerged: I can't see any subtitles(just the "EMPTY" text) or texts in inventory and in main menu. Really weird, any suggestion? My equipment: CPU: Core2duo e4400 (2ghz); RAM 2GB; PALIT nvidia 8600gt; OS: gentoo gnu/linux (amd64).

Has anyone had any luck with this since 5 March? I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 x86-64 with Wine .9.58, with a Nv 680i mobo, a Radeon 2900XT w/ 8.2 Cats, and 4GB of RAM. I hate having to boot back into Windows to play games, so I try get as many of them working as possible in Linux. The installer works for me, however, running wine launcher.exe fails. Running the witcher.exe directly also fails. My research at the AppDB shows that its a tages issue, and the individual writing the tages portion of wine hasn't completed it yet. The Witcher is patched to 1.2a, and I've heard of some people getting the game to run with a no CD utility, however, the (usual site) only had cracks for 1.0/1.1a/1.2, not the 1.2a patch. I haven't tested those yet.

The patch 1.2a is only for the version that can be bought online and downloaded, so, you don't need that patch.

Bateluer said:
The installer works for me, however, running wine launcher.exe fails. Running the witcher.exe directly also fails. My research at the AppDB shows that its a tages issue, and the individual writing the tages portion of wine hasn't completed it yet.
unfortunately a cracked exe is required

What about Cedega - any experiences?Another question:Would something like this help?http://www.petitiononline.com/7730722/petition.htmlPS.: I hate buying games and installing them with a crack! Either I buy a game, or I crack a game.What is the copy-protection for?Since it's illegal to bypass copy-protection-mechanisms, "Project Red" made it illegal to install a bought game-DVD on linux.

nocheiniggy said:
What about Cedega - any experiences?
why should anyone buy that since WINE does it rather good ?
nocheiniggy said:
Another question:Would something like this help?http://www.petitiononline.com/7730722/petition.html
it's old, i signed it a long-long time agoand it's about an *installer* and not about a native linux version ( maybe it's about a native version but the wording is bad )
nocheiniggy said:
PS.: I hate buying games and installing them with a crack! Either I buy a game, or I crack a game.What is the copy-protection for?Since it's illegal to bypass copy-protection-mechanisms, "Project Red" made it illegal to install a bought game-DVD on linux.
so do i, but since the game is not officially supported under Linux/WINE, and since Tages ( the copy protection method ) does not yet work under WINE, a no-cd crack is needed

Right, I need a new video card - my old one keeps crashing, I think an overheating problem.So - I want to play The Witcher on Linux, currently I can only play it on Windows. What's the best video card to get? Must have* Good 3d performance* Reliable* Known to work with The Witcher on Linux

that depends on your budget mostly, an nVidia 8600GT will be the minimum needed, any better card from nVidia will certainly work, the nVidia 8800GT/9600GT/9800GTX+ cards are a best buy ATM AFAIK on ATI/AMD side i can't really say as I only have an integrated HD3200 video card in my second machine, and playing games like The Witcher are not the purpose of itgoing by the performance rating, an ATI HD2600Pro/XT will be on par with a 8600GT ( at least in Windows ), but i don't know the state of the ATI Linux drivers, i think i've read somewhere that at least ATI HD2x00 cards had the ragdoll effect just like the nVidia 7x00 series

LicaonKter said:
that depends on your budget mostly, an nVidia 8600GT will be the minimum needed, any better card from nVidia will certainly work, the nVidia 8800GT/9600GT/9800GTX+ cards are a best buy ATM AFAIK on ATI/AMD side i can't really say as I only have an integrated HD3200 video card in my second machine, and playing games like The Witcher are not the purpose of itgoing by the performance rating, an ATI HD2600Pro/XT will be on par with a 8600GT ( at least in Windows ), but i don't know the state of the ATI Linux drivers, i think i've read somewhere that at least ATI HD2x00 cards had the ragdoll effect just like the nVidia 7x00 series
Thanks. Looks like it'll be an NVidia, then.

now the EE is launched things got better somehow, for the original game + patch anywayno DVD in drive is required anymore, so.. you can get the game patched on a Windows machine ( .NET 3.0 required for authentication and such ) and copy it back and you are good to goand the CONTROL menu can be used now, all the letters are visiblestill broken:-no life circles under the enemies-no health/toxicity bars for Geralt-SHADOWS still only are shown on MEDIUM-LIGHTING helps framerate on MEDIUM or LOW-Antialiasing can't be enabled-lower framerate in general-EAX can't be enabled ( not an issue it self since the sound drivers do not support it )oh, and a funny one, in Windows XP game tends to crash, for many users, because of the newer Miles Sound System codecs, and with the codecs from Patch 1.3 it will work ok, but in WINE the game works as expected with the newer codecs...strange

The Witcher EE is now completely installable with wine. You "just" need to apply a patch to wine. I opened a bug report for the registration problem. Someone took a look at it and wrote a patch that improves cookie handling in wine. I was able to register the installed game. I applied the EE patch with the language pack to it, and after ~30 Minutes the update process was done. If there is a "redistributable failure" or something not working concerning the .net framework, you just need to install mono with wine.The game runs pretty fine :) You can get some more performance if you define some registry keys in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER-->Software-->Wine-->Direct3D":DirectDrawRenderer: openglOffscreenRenderingMode: fboRenderTargetLockMode: textex No need for an XP System anymore.

Top Bottom