Yen Or Triss?

+
... the nagging aswell is both ways, not just an issue of Yennefer.....
I never really noticed Geralt nagging Yennefer in the game or (so far) the books. Can you give examples please?

---------- Updated at 09:01 PM ----------

Interesting what Karolina Stachyra said about Yennefer and Triss romance.... Thanks for sharing it with us @Raven-beauty
Hear, hear! But even in this excerpt I cringe when Yennefer responds to Geralt's 'I adore you' with 'no points for originality'. Now if that happened to me, the person who said it would be toast.

I never really noticed Geralt nagging Yennefer in the game or (so far) the books. Can you give examples please?

Not of the top of my head no. But the reasons why they split up was because of action both ways. They have playful banter back and forth (Freya's Garden) and they also had disagreement. There is a reason why their relationship was pretty volatile and insecure in the early years, because they both had such strong personalities. Yennefer definitely displays this more than Geralt however. Also judging from BaW, Yennefer say's that their duels in words was started by Geralt. Most of the nagging is primarily based in the short stories and that is pretty much off-screen. We know Geralt/Yen we're rather turbulent when they lived in Vengerberg, we don't get to see any of this but we know it was there. In the later books and in the games, there isn't really any nagging between them. There is disagreements on how to deal with a certain course of action or there is a brief argument on how to do something, Freya's garden again, But Geralt here is also arguing right back with her. Also, completely off-topic point, but Yennefer is right 90% of the time anyway, so she has a right to be annoyed with Geralt when he questions something :p There is no doubt that they both argue a lot and that they both can be a real pain in the arse.

If you wan't to really search around for it. Just know that prior to Ciri in their lives, when they was both nagging and annoying. Well it depends how you look at it, they continue to argue up to the present, but it's builds them together. So who gives a shit. It doesn't bother me if Geralt or Yennefer is being moody. To me it just signifies their relationship that they can be apart for years and return to each other or live with each other happily for presumably a long time with such strong personalities. I think Belletyn is an excellent example, when they both we're going to part ways but the affect that clearly had on them, completely destroyed them both emotionally for a long time, even when they don't show it for the years to come, you can see when Ciri asks Yen about Geralt she literally goes dreamy for a brief second. Corvo Bianco aswell is a solid example, shows that despite Geralt's faults, she doesn't want him to change in anyway shape or form and that she loves him for exactly who he is.

My quoting ability isn't exactly on point anymore, been a while since i read the books now, and i've generally had enough about arguing or explaining about this subject. So i haven't been thinking and using all my brain power to explain every niche detail anymore lol. I'm just generic now.

'I adore you' with 'no points for originality'.

It's not very unique. It's a pretty generic term. What matters is how he says it, the meaning behind it. That's why she says "but for your candor".

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Hear, hear! But even in this excerpt I cringe when Yennefer responds to Geralt's 'I adore you' with 'no points for originality'. Now if that happened to me, the person who said it would be toast.

Well, to be honest, that "I adore you" line was over the top cheesy, Yennefer's sarcastic reaction on it was funny for me.
Anyway, that scene was added in 1.10 patch (a.k.a. "waifu patch") and it just seems a little out of place. Most of the time I prefer to choose the 1st dialogue option and avoid it. ;)

Well, to be honest, that "I adore you" line was over the top cheesy, Yennefer's sarcastic reaction on it was funny for me.
Anyway, that scene was added in 1.10 patch (a.k.a. "waifu patch") and it just seems a little out of place. Most of the time I prefer to choose the 1st dialogue option and avoid it. ;)

You avoid it? Dang. I think it fits really well to be honest.

Guest 3847602

You avoid it? Dang. I think it fits really well to be honest.

It's just not my thing, I guess. I've already completed the game twice or thrice before that patch came out and I've never felt something was missing. A kiss minute ago was enough.

Same here, that whole scene was made awkward now. So same as you, I rather avoid it.

Yup, there was no context for those lovey-dovey lines with Yen, unlike with Triss (Geralt didn't see her much longer than Yennefer). I really liked Geralt/Yennefer final conversation after the BaW credits, it was also a bit cheesy, but at least fitted the occasion and was better written. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, there was no context for those lovey-dovey lines with Yen

It didn't feel very lovey-dovey to me. It felt pretty natural. You know me by now and what i stand for :> But just because Geralt/Yen are not the lovey-dovey couple doesn't mean they can't show their love to each other. There is a couple examples in the books of them doing just that. Belletyn, Thanedd, The Bath, Avalon. As long as it doesn't drop to Triss levels of lovey-dovey (and it doesn't) im happy. Agree on the BaW scene entirely.

Guest 3847602

It didn't feel very lovey-dovey to me. It felt pretty natural. You know me by now and what i stand for :> But just because Geralt/Yen are not the lovey-dovey couple doesn't mean they can't show their love to each other. There is a couple examples in the books of them doing just that. Belletyn, Thanedd, The Bath, Avalon. As long as it doesn't drop to Triss levels of lovey-dovey (and it doesn't) im happy. Agree on the BaW scene entirely.

Sure they do, that's why I said I like it very much when I think it fits, like the wake at Kaer Trolde or the ending at Corvo Bianco. In this case it feels pretty artificial to me, like it was only added because the same scene was to be added for Triss too, so they wanted to compensate and avoid the shitstorm. Also, "I adore you"... I mean, seriously? :lol:
Plus, like I said at the time this patch was released - this opportunity was perfect for Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri to have a few minutes together (but, you know... PLANS!). Instead, we see Ciri rushing to see how Avallac'h is doing while Geralt and Yen have yet another romantic conversation. I didn't really need that at this point. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of Belleteyn... people sometimes accuse Triss of taking advantage of Geralt for her own pleasure during his memory loss. I didn't play W1 or W2 so missed that bit... but I was a bit shocked that in the books, Yennefer actually puts a spell on a local lad so she can use him for sex, then immediately drops him (leaving him dazed) when she meets Geralt. Rape or what?

Talking of Belleteyn... people sometimes accuse Triss of taking advantage of Geralt for her own pleasure during his memory loss. I didn't play W1 or W2 so missed that bit... but I was a bit shocked that in the books, Yennefer actually puts a spell on a local lad so she can use him for sex, then immediately drops him (leaving him dazed) when she meets Geralt. Rape or what?

mhm, in books you can also find that Triss put a spell on Geralt once to seduce him...so yes sorceresses are serial rapist in Sapko lore, if you wanted to judge them by our, nowadays morality

There is something really strange in the quotes in this video and in the gamepressure article.

Karolina Stachyra in that gamepressure-article said:
Karolina Stachyra:
We gave the players an opportunity to get to know both sorceresses, see what kind of people they are, spend time with them, and learn their strengths, passions and weaknesses. And then both of them demanded that we choose in a more or less explicit manner.
http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=1039

IF the players were supposed to have enough time to get to know both romance options before making their choice, then why in all heavens does the game force the player to make their choice about Merigold before the player ever traveled to Skellige? It is not uncommon to feel that one should "clean up all lose quests of one area before traveling to the next area", after all. So a lot of people fell in the Merigold trap before ever actually meeting Yen, except those weird short meetings in White Orchard and Vizima - and those weird short meetings were clearly not enough time to get to know the Yen option at all.

Now or Never is triggered by the ending of Get Junior, in the middle of the Novigrad mainquests. That is very much prematurely, if the player was supposed to get to know both options before committing to one. That quest should have been delayed until the end of the Skelllige mainquest line, if Karolina and CDPR really wanted to achieve what she claims.

Anyway. Nice to see that 56% of that nice large sample did chose Yen, 13% are non-voters, and only 31% fell for the Merigold. ;)

Last edited:

"You silly Geralt! If you knew anything about... anything, which you don't, you would know that I adore you. Everyone in the North knows it except you. It is a public scandal the way I adore you. I have been going about for the last six months telling the whole of society that I adore you. I wonder you consent to have anything to say to me. I have no character left at all. At least, I feel so happy that I am quite sure I have no character left at all."

Better? :p

At any rate, I take issue with the poll! It is very unfair, the way it excludes those who didn't choose either, and would rather not do so. Those exist, you know? :D

Guest 3847602

"You silly Geralt! If you knew anything about... anything, which you don't, you would know that I adore you. Everyone in the North knows it except you. It is a public scandal the way I adore you. I have been going about for the last six months telling the whole of society that I adore you. I wonder you consent to have anything to say to me. I have no character left at all. At least, I feel so happy that I am quite sure I have no character left at all."

Better?
True, Gervant = an ideal husbando. That's just a fact. :laughing:

At any rate, I take issue with the poll! It is very unfair, the way it excludes those who didn't choose either, and would rather not do so. Those exist, you know?
#team4everalone? Yeah, I always knew you guys exist, IIRC Dragonbird was very proud of that choice.
Most probably because she had an honor of policing the romance threads a year ago. :p

#team4everalone? Yeah, I always knew you guys exist, IIRC Dragonbird was very proud of that choice.
Most probably because she had an honor of policing the romance threads a year ago. :p

Well, I'm mostly okay with Triss and I really like Yennefer, so it is not a matter of me not liking either character. It is more of a case of not being a fan of Geralt's relationship with either of them and of being sick of stories where protagonists leading unusual lives end up embracing the very overrated gift of normalcy. I get being a witcher is not a stroll through the park, but it is nevertheless such an essential part of Geralt's character, and I have no desire to see him retire to a house in the suburbs with the love of his life.

Well, I'm mostly okay with Triss and I really like Yennefer, so it is not a matter of me not liking either character. It is more of a case of not being a fan of Geralt's relationship with either of them and of being sick of stories where protagonists leading unusual lives end up embracing the very overrated gift of normalcy. I get being a witcher is not a stroll through the park, but it is nevertheless such an essential part of Geralt's character, and I have no desire to see him retire to a house in the suburbs with the love of his life.

And according to the books, he never does. I guess it's just CDPR's way of closing the book themselves instead of leaving Geralt in the woods which wouldn't make for an ending most people would like.

Did I miss something, where does the book actually say that.

---------- Updated at 04:30 PM ----------

I get being a witcher is not a stroll through the park, but it is nevertheless such an essential part of Geralt's character, and I have no desire to see him retire to a house in the suburbs with the love of his life.
And according to the books, he never does. I guess it's just CDPR's way of closing the book themselves instead of leaving Geralt in the woods which wouldn't make for an ending most people would like.
He almost did, then Rivia happened. :p

See, that is strange to me. Sword & sorcery heroes aren't known for abandoning the woods, ever. I doubt people would have thought much of Conan the Cimmerian settling down with one of his sweethearts at the end of his life.

---------- Updated at 02:36 PM ----------

He almost did, then Rivia happened. :p

I haven't gotten to that part of the books yet (don't worry; I'm not really the sort that cares that much about spoilers) but I believe I would prefer an ending in which Geralt dies to one in which he just retired with Yennefer.

In fact, if we count the ending in which Ciri and Geralt are implied to die, that is indeed the case. I'm not sure whether I prefer that to the Lone Wolf ending, but I do like it more than either of the romance ones.

Did I miss something, where does the book actually say that.

---------- Updated at 04:30 PM ----------

I don't think there is any clear mention of a spell, but the man does act as if completely enchanted with her. I suppose you can put it down to anything, perhaps she used a glamour on herself or he simply liked her that much and couldn't figure out why she suddenly threw him aside, but I wouldn't be shocked if a sorceress decided to save herself the trouble of ordinary seduction and just snapped her fingers and got it on. She also tells Geralt that she could snatch another man quite easily if she wanted, which again could mean anything in terms of actual methods.

Last edited:
Top Bottom