Yen Or Triss?

+
It's well-done because it's all left up to the player's preference in a way that works for all avenues, and even Geralt's answers ("the magic is gone" or "nothing has changed") are open enough you can interpret them whichever way you like - is it metaphorical or strictly factual ? Is it one way or the other ?
It's really pretty damn smart.

I agree, I interpret it as the Djinn didn't cast any spell and it was all psychological. I'm sure Geralt and Yen really did love each other and kept coming back to each other because of that love, but there is that added dose of the possibility that they keep returning to each other because they believe they SHOULD or SUPPOSED TO love each other. This is why Yen wanted the "spell" broken. She wanted to see if they had any magic of their own.

The best and most fun play through so far is Horn Dog Geralt. Go to every brothel and try every option there. Romance both Yen and Triss. Romance Shani. Take every opportunity to sack out with a female in the game.

You get left alone but the ending for B&W is better.

Last edited:
Just curious, what does the populace normally choose for Geralts's mate? I am wondering if I am the only one who always picks Yen cuz I have seen a lot of Triss posts on here. Or do u rather prefer Shani or some other female for Geralt? I think Yennefer is beautiful and although she may seem rather demanding and cruel at times, she is the perfect one for Geralt (and me lol) nothing against Triss but Yen is always my pick. My 1st playthrough I slept with them both and ended up getting busted and wound up all alone!!! Never again!!
I respect CDPR if they really punish Geralt for sleeping with both. I am glad that I reloaded after unicorn scene in Scellige and avoid it, otherwise endgame will be screwed up.
In my opinion Triss looks much better (on PS4, she is more rounded and so better looking in poor textures than sharp-featured Yen) and she is typical non-existing dream girl with enormous eyes, calm sweet voice, need for protection etc.
Yen in first part of the game is really annoying, but start to open up with Skjall, Last Wish quest and further up the storyline.. her character looks much more of real woman with good and bad sides and I started to regret that I don't send Triss to Kovir.
Triss is extremely sweet anyway but you can have all that beautiful experience in garden without final decision to romance, so way to go in a second playthrough is obvious.

You can sleep with Yennefer on the unicorn and not be punished for it. You're only punished if you tell Yen you still love her during the "Last Wish" while also telling Triss you love her during "Now or Never."

My Geralt always sleeps with Yen on the unicorn, dumps her during Last Wish, then tells Triss he loves her and sleeps with her during Now or Never.

None of them. Triss constantly uses Geralt and this time is not exception.He came for information about Ciri-not to solve some mages and Order bla-bla-bla-problems. Yen -no better.After 6.5 years without Geralt she met him like some ambassador-not like his beloved. And then accuses him being unfaithfull. Seriously?After send not even one goddamn letter or something when in fact she was full aware he is alive and got amnesia.Plus -she was in contact with Triss. So the meaning of acussation is pointless-its all her fault. So Yen -go to hell as well. Only one who cares for Geralt and acts normally and give reward for your action is Ciri and Shani. Yes even if this is parental relationship,still its the best option. You can free the girl, let her spread her wings at last after all terrible events that happened to her. And it really makes you satisfied to see so. Even in Blood and wine when Triss or Yen comes to you you dont feel that way.

Based on the main page where the're selling TW3 under romance it shows Geralt and Triss. I always wondered if that meant the devs favored Triss.

And then accuses him being unfaithfull. Seriously?After send not even one goddamn letter or something when in fact she was full aware he is alive and got amnesia.

Maybe you've miss the part where she had amnesia and been Nilfgaard prisoner. Maybe.
It's difficult to send a letter to a man you don't remember the existence or when you are in an imperial cell.

Plus -she was in contact with Triss.

I would love to see when exactly. Really curious about that.
As far as we know the only sorceress Yennefer was in contact with when she recovered her memory is Fringilla Vigo.

And to answer the thread : Yennefer. Always.

Maybe you've miss the part where she had amnesia and been Nilfgaard prisoner. Maybe.
It's difficult to send a letter to a man you don't remember the existence or when you are in an imperial cell.

Then she got out of prison and with the help of other mages she got her memory back and still chose to play games and not come to Geralt's aid. She said it herself. She wanted Geralt to find her. I don't hate Yen like I used to, but her excuses during the scene when Geralt confronts her about not being there really tick me off still. And she has the nerve to tell Geralt she doesn't want to hear any of his excuses about his memory loss. I get the impression from Yen, that she only came to Geralt once she hit her own dead end and summoning him was a last resort option for her.

That's another reason why I leave her butt in the woods all alone eating berries.

Then she got out of prison and with the help of other mages she got her memory back and still chose to play games and not come to Geralt's aid. She said it herself. She wanted Geralt to find her. I don't hate Yen like I used to, but her excuses during the scene when Geralt confronts her about not being there really tick me off still. And she has the nerve to tell Geralt she doesn't want to hear any of his excuses about his memory loss. I get the impression from Yen, that she only came to Geralt once she hit her own dead end and summoning him was a last resort option for her.

That's another reason why I leave her butt in the woods all alone eating berries.

Well, Yennefer does find out about Geralt's whereabouts at one point (I don't know when exactly in the timeline or how) and learns that he is safe and in a relationship of sorts with Triss. Given the history between these three characters and keeping in mind that Yennefer is an inordinately proud woman, it must have touched a nerve and added to the initial froideur.

Well, Yennefer does find out about Geralt's whereabouts at one point (I don't know when exactly in the timeline or how) and learns that he is safe and in a relationship of sorts with Triss. Given the history between these three characters and keeping in mind that Yennefer is an inordinately proud woman, it must have touched a nerve and added to the initial froideur.

She didn't know if he was safe or not. She claimed he would be safe because he's a Witcher and has potions et al. Meanwhile she had a whole team of Mages to help her with her memory loss, then proceeded to search for Ciri without even informing Geralt of that fact until she had no choice but to use his Witcher skills. Why would she think one mage (Triss) would be enough to help him? And why did she think her pride was more important than telling Geralt that his daughter was in danger?

I just see no excuse that could justify Yennefer's actions.

IMO, she allowed her pride to get in the way of being there for the man she loved when he needed her the most. I would even say it interfered with finding Ciri. Perhaps if she had reached out to Geralt earlier they could have found her sooner.

She didn't know if he was safe or not. She claimed he would be safe because he's a Witcher and has potions et al. Meanwhile she had a whole team of Mages to help her with her memory loss, then proceeded to search for Ciri without even informing Geralt of that fact until she had no choice but to use his Witcher skills. Why would she think one mage (Triss) would be enough to help him? And why did she think her pride was more important than telling Geralt that his daughter was in danger?

I just see no excuse that could justify Yennefer's actions.

IMO, she allowed her pride to get in the way of being there for the man she loved when he needed her the most. I would even say it interfered with finding Ciri. Perhaps if she had reached out to Geralt earlier they could have found her sooner.

We don't know what or how much Yennefer knows about Geralt after she recovers her memory. We don't know when she finds out about his amnesia, or in what context. We do know that she found out about Triss being with him, which implied that he was among friends and thus free and safe(ish), arguably more so than she was among Nilfgaardians.

I do agree that when Ciri came into play she should have tried to reach him sooner, but up until that point I see nothing particularly terrible about her keeping her distance.

We don't know what or how much Yennefer knows about Geralt after she recovers her memory. We don't know when she finds out about his amnesia, or in what context. We do know that she found out about Triss being with him, which implied that he was among friends and thus free and safe(ish), arguably more so than she was among Nilfgaardians.

I do agree that when Ciri came into play she should have tried to reach him sooner, but up until that point I see nothing particularly terrible about her keeping her distance.

We don't know exact dates but we do have something of a timeline based on their conversation.

Yennefer got her memory back before Geralt and it was around the time Geralt was with Triss. That had to have been sometime around TW2 because Geralt and Triss split up sometime between then and TW3. Yennefer says she was released from prison for the sole purpose of finding Ciri. Which means that maybe sometime around TW2 she had been searching for her.

Sure Yen could conclude that Geralt was safe and with friends and a new lover but she could have saved herself and even him a lot of unneeded grief by going to him. Instead she decided to play mind games with him by feigning the damsel in distress act because she wanted Geralt to get his memories back on his own and look for her. IMO, Yen dropped the ball big time on this one. She had a chance to save the man she loved and instead chose her own petty pride. This is why I don't fault Triss at all for going after Geralt. The way I see it, Yennefer gave up on him and he was free to be with whomever he wanted amnesia or not.

You can probably tell that Yen drops my Geralt into that lake in every play through. :D

Sure Yen could conclude that Geralt was safe and with friends and a new lover but she could have saved herself and even him a lot of unneeded grief by going to him. Instead she decided to play mind games with him by feigning the damsel in distress act because she wanted Geralt to get his memories back on his own and look for her. IMO, Yen dropped the ball big time on this one. She had a chance to save the man she loved and instead chose her own petty pride. This is why I don't fault Triss at all for going after Geralt. The way I see it, Yennefer gave up on him and he was free to be with whomever he wanted amnesia or not.

I don't really see how she is acting like a damsel in distress or what mind games she is playing, to be honest. Again, we don't know what she knows about his amnesia. It could very well be that she believed or was made to believe it had come and gone by the time he was wih Triss, or had found out about it after she had already contacted him. There is no indication she knew he was an amnesiac but refused to help him. I imagine she recovered her memory, at first assumed Geralt would find her, later on found out about his whereabouts and kind of bitterly dropped it until finding Ciri proved too difficult of a task.

Triss is an interesting and complex character, but after reading the books her "clinginess" turned me away from choosing her for Geralt. I think she'll always be involved in political scheming (ex. Lodge); she even wants Geralt to move to Kovir (more politics) with her at the end of the game.

Last edited:
The way I see it, Yennefer gave up on him

This is actually a pattern with Yen whenever she is away from Geralt. In "Tower of the Swallow" (I think) she knows exactly where Geralt is, but dismisses him as completely useless to her or to Ciri. She might have been lying to save face and preserve her pride, but it really feels like she wants to be free of him. I have always thought Yen's real chance at happiness is with Istredd (who hopefully escaped the mage hunters).

As for Triss and politics- the tension there is the continuation of a debate between them from the books about neutrality. Triss (and actually Ciri too in the books) try to convince Geralt that neutrality is contemptible and witchers should get involved in important causes. Some of the choices available in the three games could show Triss slowly winning this debate, with "Reasons of State" being the final shift from Geralt.

Triss is an interesting and complex character, but after reading the books her "clinginess" turned me away from choosing her for Geralt. I think she'll always be involved in political scheming (ex. Lodge); she even wants Geralt to move to Kovir (more politics) with her at the end of the game.

She's literally the only 'clingy' character in three games where just about every friend, ally and romantic relation of Geralt is in it for themselves.

In "Tower of the Swallow" (I think) she knows exactly where Geralt is, but dismisses him as completely useless to her or to Ciri. She might have been lying to save face and preserve her pride, but it really feels like she wants to be free of him.

Very interesting interpretation...

from the The Tower of The Swallow:
Crach, it’s no secret that I . . . am fond of him. But I know he won’t rescue Ciri. He won’t achieve anything. I know him. He’ll become entangled in something, get lost, start philosophising and feeling sorrow for himself. Then he’ll vent his rage, hacking whatever and whoever he can to pieces with his sword. Afterwards, to atone for it, he’ll carry out some noble, but senseless feat. Then finally he’ll be killed, foolishly, senselessly, probably by a stab in the back—’

....I don’t know what Geralt’s plans are or even whether he has any. I mean to get down to work myself. Using my own methods. And actively, Crach, actively. I’m not accustomed to sitting and weeping, holding my head in both hands. I act!’

....‘Ciri’s not in Nilfgaard. And Geralt isn’t carrying out any plans. Planning isn’t his strong point. Let’s leave it. What’s important is that it’s already the twenty-sixth of August, and I still know too little. Too little to undertake anything . . . Unless I was to . . .’
She fell silent, staring out of the window, playing with the obsidian star fastened to a black velvet ribbon. ‘Were to what?’ Crach an Craite burst out! ‘Rather than mocking Geralt, to try using his methods.’ ‘I don’t understand.’ ‘One could try sacrifice, yarl. Apparently readiness to make sacrifices can pay off, produce favourable results . . . If only in the form of the grace of the goddess. Who likes and esteems people who sacrifice themselves and suffer for a cause.’ ‘I still don’t understand,’ he said, wrinkling his brow. ‘But I don’t like what you’re saying, Yennefer.’ ‘I know. Neither do I. But still, I’ve gone too far . . .

...Vilgefortz glanced at the torpid body being dragged across the floor towards the stairs to the cellar. Then he lifted his eye towards Rience and Schirrú. ‘There’s always the risk,’ he said, ‘that one of you will fall into the hands of my enemies and be interrogated. I’d like to think that you’ll demonstrate as much fortitude. Yes, I’d like to think so. But I don’t.’ Rience and Schirrú said nothing. Vilgefortz started up the megascope again and projected the image generated by the huge crystal onto the screen. ‘That’s all she could produce,’ he said, pointing. ‘I wanted Cirilla, she gave me the Witcher. Fascinating. She didn’t allow the girl’s empathic matrix to be wrested from her, but she cracked when it came to Geralt. And I didn’t suspect her of harbouring any feelings for Geralt at all . . .

----------------

I don't really see that like "dismissing Geralt as completely useless to her or to Ciri" or that Yennefer wants to be "free of Geralt"...

Last edited:
I don't really see how she is acting like a damsel in distress or what mind games she is playing, to be honest. Again, we don't know what she knows about his amnesia. It could very well be that she believed or was made to believe it had come and gone by the time he was wih Triss, or had found out about it after she had already contacted him. There is no indication she knew he was an amnesiac but refused to help him. I imagine she recovered her memory, at first assumed Geralt would find her, later on found out about his whereabouts and kind of bitterly dropped it until finding Ciri proved too difficult of a task.

The mind game is that she had plenty of resources to go find him and chose not to because she flat out stated that she wanted him to find her. Geralt thought she was in danger, had no idea where she was, and set out on a task to find her, when she knew all this time where he was and could have found him sooner. I don't see how anyone could say she wasn't playing games with him or it's a case where she truly did not wish to be found and she's just lying about wanting Geralt to find her. Either way Yen is full of excrement. She either didn't want to be found or she wanted to see how far Geralt would go to find her in some silly little test of love.

She didn't have to know every piece of info about his amnesia, she knew he had it, and knew it took her several mages to aid her. It's not rocket science to assume that Geralt would need the same aid to recover as quickly as she. This is what Geralt was calling her out on if the player pursues this dialogue. Geralt brings up all the help that Yen had and how he had none of that and all she could do was backtrack by bringing up Witcher mutations and potions.

Top Bottom