Yennefer's loyalties

+
Yennefer's loyalties

Spoiler ALERT!!!
Read this topic only if you finished The Witcher 2!

Been replaying The Witcher 2 (Iorveth's path), and noticed something interesting in the Nilfgaardian camp. In his "first letter to the Emperor", Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen writes: "Please convey my kindest regards to Your Consort."
Well, considering Letho's and Geralt's conversation in the epilog, I have a strong feeling that "The Consort" is no other than Yennefer. It seems that she became an advisor to the Emperor of Nilfgaard, perhaps even his right hand.

I know it's only a speculation, but it seems that the 3 endings in The Witcher3: Wild Hunt will be:
A. We choose Yennefer and side with Nilfgaard.
B. We choose Triss and side with the Northern Kingdoms.
C. We choose neither, remain neutral in the war, and only defeat the Wild Hunt itself.

What do you think?

I'll take B it would be nearly impossible to stay neutral in this war because there is just so much at stake ;)

PS! Siding with Nilfgaard nooooo never u know what they say give the devil your little finger it will take your hole arm same would be with Nilfgaard nothing but slaughter.

Yen and the Emperor have a bit of a past that is described in the books and their relationship is not as easy as siding with him. Anyways, wasn't Yen with the Assassins when they were captured and thus she isn't at Emhyr's side by her own choice?

Elves4me2 said:
I'll take B it would be nearly impossible to stay neutral in this war because there is just so much at stake ;)

PS! Siding with Nilfgaard nooooo never u know what they say give the devil your little finger it will take your hole arm same would be with Nilfgaard nothing but slaughter.

To set a befitting frame for the drama that inevitably follows:

Enter Vivaxardas.

LoneWolf1981 said:
I know it's only a speculation, but it seems that the 3 endings in The Witcher3: Wild Hunt will be:
C. We choose neither, remain neutral in the war, and only defeat the Wild Hunt itself.

What do you think?

Maybe they can add some nice colors to the endings? Like green red and blue or something?

Aaden said:
Yen and the Emperor have a bit of a past that is described in the books and their relationship is not as easy as siding with him. Anyways, wasn't Yen with the Assassins when they were captured and thus she isn't at Emhyr's side by her own choice?

I didn't say it was entirely her choice, but as someone who lost her memory, Yen doesn't remember any past dealings with the Emperor. Her mind is like a clean slate, easy to manipulate and brain washed.

It's quite possible that Yennefer is working with Nilfgaard, maybe Emhyr having offered her a position in his court in exchange for protection, or just to give her some purpose. He might well use her to manipulate Geralt.

LoneWolf1981 said:
I didn't say it was entirely her choice, but as someone who lost her memory, Yen doesn't remember any past dealings with the Emperor. Her mind is like a clean slate, easy to manipulate and brain washed.

Since Geralt recovers from his amnesia with increasing speed, the interesting question arises if the same happens to Yen. If so and if she stays with Emhyr anyways, it's quite possible that she's not the one being manipulated anymore. If not - what good does a sorceress do him that doesn't remember any of the useful information she might have? Beyond being a bait for speciric (

Surely being a sorceress she could easily conjure up a spell or potion or whatever to get her memories back, way before geralt was able to. So I don't think she's working with nilfgaard. Why she's at the emperor's place, beats me.

I don't think it will be easy like that. I also don't think Yennefer sides with Nilfgaard - she could be prisoner or something like that, but I can't imagine, how she serves empire and fights against North. And I wouldn't be happy if I would see next possible 180 degrees change of character (she risked her life to protect North from Nilfgaard). And even if she probably doesn't exactly 'hate' Emhyr, their last meeting wasn't good start for some cooperation.

I would add next possibility - Yennefer pretends to be with Nilfgaard and when Geralt shows up, they'll murder Emhyr very painfull way :) .. just kidding - it will be fast and clear job ;) ..

Aaden said:
what good does a sorceress do him that doesn't remember any of the useful information she might have? Beyond being a bait for speciric ( ) other persons, in which case she doesn't need to be anything more than a prisoner.

Fully agreed.
keep in mind that Yen should still have amnesia because she have not met the king of the wild hunt again.

Aaden said:
...in which case she doesn't need to be anything more than a prisoner.

Prisoner? Why? You'll catch more flies with honey then with vinegar. It's much more productive to convince a powerful sorceress to join your cause then keep her your prisoner and enemy. I can already see (and hear) the "White Flame" trying to brain-wash Geralt, convincing him, in that charismatic Tywin Lannister's voice - that a unified continent under Nilfgaardian banners is in humanity's best interests, instead of all those little, constantly warring Northern states. Saying that a strong Nilfgaard is the only chance against an alien threat - the Aen Elle elves, represented by the Wild Hunt.

The plain meaning of "your consort" is "false Ciri", the woman who Emhyr took to pose as Ciri. Not anybody else, and not Yennefer.

The Emperor is a persuasive man, and he can make an "offer you can't refuse" to anyone who might aid him. So it would not surprise me to see Yennefer allied with him, or to see him try to persuade Geralt to side with his cause.

Yes, his consort is false Ciri. It is glaringly obvious from the books. Whether Yen will cooperate with Nilfgaard willingly on matters other than her family's well-being, I don't know. I don't think Emhyr will demand that, actually. She was a member of the Lodge (sort of), but it wasn't made public intentionally. I don't think Emhyr is going to harm her in any way, even if they probed her memory magically, like Letho suggested. He let her (and Geralt) go once, he'll do it again, I would imagine. Nothing changed, really, since the first time. If in TW3 WH is a danger to Ciri, then Yen will cooperate with the emperor. Nobody would want these guys riding or flying around unchecked.

No, I don't believe in this 1,2,3. That would be very restrictive and out of character. If Yen lost her memory, she is no good as a sorceress to anyone. If she regains it, she is not going to fight against the North. If massacres occur, Triss is on a hit-list. Triss can have any say only if in TW2 we chose to go after her. Otherwise even Natalis didn't look too happy when he heard her name. So I think the plot in TW3 should be a bit more complicated.

Why a hell would Yen and Geralt want to kill the emperor? You know, just read the books. They made their peace, and Emhyr let all of them go, including Ciri. He did not have her in his plans anymore. Everything Geralt was doing, he did to save and protect Ciri, and it was mission accomplished. Geralt did not fight Nilfgaard because of some political or patriotic considerations. Even on the bridge he got caught in the events and needed time to save one of his friends. Nothing more. To make Emhyr go after Ciri again in TW3 would be schizophrenic.

I don't think it will be that simple. First of all Emhyr doesn't like sorcerers at all. He killed one just because he didn't deliver good and reliable information, even though they were right.

He will use Yennefer, if it is convenient, but he won't have her as a mistress or something like that. Emhyr isn't like that. Afaik he married the false Ciri to reaffirm his claim of Cintra and he didn't make the impression of a womanizer at all.

I could imagine that he forces Geralt to do something for Yennefer's release or something like that, similiar to Letho and his school.

sfinxCZ said:
I would add next possibility - Yennefer pretends to be with Nilfgaard and when Geralt shows up, they'll murder Emhyr very painfull way
.. just kidding - it will be fast and clear job

Revenge is sweet ;)

I'm open on the matter, we theorised a few years ago that the consort might be Yen, it could be that she has not encountered the Hunt like Geralt did and so is sans memory serving Emhyr in ignorance. A state i'm sure his sorcerer's would be glad to maintain, or it could be False Ciri, i'm open on the matter.

The letter does seem like a bit of a big fucking Chekhov's Gun, but that could purely be accidental.

Well, he did none of it in the books. He could already have all of them in custody and use in any way he pleased. But he simply let them go to live their lives. They did not have any problems after this. I can imagine with WH Emhyr may need Geralt's help, but I don't think he suddenly got a burning desire to coerce Yen into something. The police found Yen without memory. It was troubling, so he got interested. That's why, I think, he probed her memory - to learn what happened to her when she was captured by WH. But I would strongly disagree it was done to harm her, or coerce. Look, Geralt and Yen are foster parents of his only daughter. They all are family of sorts. Emhyr has a huge army and every advantage to crash the North. He simply does not need either of them politically or military. And if it is about Ciri, the danger would be from WH, and not from Emhyr. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.

About consort thing - it is obscure or suspicious only to those who did not read the books. For the rest it is clear that it is about false Ciri, with whom Emhyr settled with after he let his daughter go. It wasn't Yen. His consort is his legal wife, and not some concubine. She can't rule (the same as in England, I imagine), but it is a legal marriage.

Kallelinski said:
Revenge is sweet ;)/>

Revenge for what exactly??? Geralt and Yen saved Ciri, and Emhyr saw a light of reason, abandoned his plans concerning Ciri, and let all of them go. They were good.

I understand the Lodge would want revenge, but Yen did not like the Lodge from the beginning, and chose her family over it. I would think whatever happened to them would please her.

I understand, some of you, guys, want it because you are rooting for the Lodge, but Yen has nothing to do with it. She was against them, as well as Geralt.

LoneWolf1981 said:
Spoiler ALERT!!!
Read this topic only if you finished The Witcher 2!

Been replaying The Witcher 2 (Iorveth's path), and noticed something interesting in the Nilfgaardian camp. In his "first letter to the Emperor", Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen writes: "Please convey my kindest regards to Your Consort."
Well, considering Letho's and Geralt's conversation in the epilog, I have a strong feeling that "The Consort" is no other than Yennefer. It seems that she became an advisor to the Emperor of Nilfgaard, perhaps even his right hand.

What do you think?
Huh, that make sense, especially the choises!

vivaxardas said:
Revenge for what exactly??? Geralt and Yen saved Ciri, and Emhyr saw a light of reason, abandoned his plans concerning Ciri, and let all of them go. They were good.
I should keep my desire for myself, because you also pomised, you will not hurt Lodge members :D

But there are some resons. One of them is world war - it's not maybe so personal, but it could be more like punishment. And we have got other two similiar reasons (wrold war 2 and 3 :) ). You said he released them (books). That is true, but it's not some good deed, not even some big reduction of his previous bad deed, it's maybe more Ciri's merit. She woke up something in him, but that changes nothing on his previous choice to kill a man, who saved his life, and woman, which cared about and risked life to save ... spoiler ;) . Yen maybe also didn't forget on her eye, on his conspiration, which led her to illegality and separate her from Ciri and Geralt and of course brought Ciri in big danger (no matter if that was mainly game of his friend Vilgeforz or his own).
Geralt also like Calanthé a little bit.. so :)

I am not saying he is personaly biggest enemy of Geralt or Yennefer, but I just wanted to show you some resons for this act (as I said, it could be revenge or just punishment and elimination of threat - no one wants to live in permanent danger of war and even if they usually don't act like judgers, three wars and millions of dead could be good reason).

I promise you, if there will be a chance just to put him to fair trial, I will do it.

I would never side with Nilfgaard, sorry Yennefer. I would probably chose C, since it seems that may be Geralt's end goal.

Top Bottom